NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Banner Ads Oh no... here they come!

Jun 27 at 11:47:00 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: retrofixes

Why does NA have a reputation of being full of whining babies?
Why is that? I just can't figure it out.

Because the staff weren't allowed to throw their whiny asses outta here under the old ownership (hint hint Jeff).

It still baffles me how many people bitch about a completely free site that nobody is forcing them to use.   Also, I'm willing to wager the forum takes up way more disk than any of the real catalog info Jeff needs, so a few banner ads are way better than the forum part being disabled for good.

Jun 27 at 11:58:44 AM
____________ (15)

< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
Originally posted by: D~Funk

Is Banner Ads a homebrew yet?

I wanted to try out GB Studio so I gave it a shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=... (Game Boy ROM)

Claim your spots now for the numbered physical limited edition release!

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 01:51 PM by ____________

Jun 27 at 12:11:59 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Originally posted by: joshf

I wanted to try out GB Studio so I gave it a shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eT9ncv04tUksm6zYhcfOh6UsS3... (Game Boy ROM)

I claim copy 000

-------------------------

Jun 27 at 1:32:41 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
ads are fine i dont care.

Jun 27 at 2:37:34 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other

I wanted to try out GB Studio so I gave it a shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eT9ncv04tUksm6zYhcfOh6UsS3... (Game Boy ROM)

HAHAHA! Awesome!

Jun 27 at 2:40:02 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta

I want to see a GB RPG style text avatar...

"Would you like to see banner ads"?

- Yes          - Maybe

Jun 27 at 2:41:31 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Change it to

- Yes - Ok

Jun 27 at 3:51:53 PM
BazookaJoe (4)
(Joe ) < Meka Chicken >
Arizona
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

I like this banner. Imma make it part of my signature, I encourage everyone to do it as well.

You don't like it, Matt. You LOVE IT! 

My Wants! | Add me on Switch: SW-3356-2808-2889
 ​

Jun 27 at 3:52:39 PM
BazookaJoe (4)
(Joe ) < Meka Chicken >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Yelir

I want to see a GB RPG style text avatar...

- Yes          - Maybe

Not wanting to hijack here, but dammit, Yelir! Get back on Discord! We need to talk trashy pop punk and post-hardcore bands! 

My Wants! | Add me on Switch: SW-3356-2808-2889
 ​

Jun 27 at 3:55:22 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Post hardcore hahaha

You mean wanna be punk bands....

Jun 27 at 4:13:45 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Are we going to get some ad revenue for generating content that brings the views and clicks in?

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadi...
So basically he did exactly what he said he was going to do? Looks like you caught him red handed. 

That update was on may 28th. His statement started with the site doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth it, then he said if ads ever do get implemented, implying that that is very very unlikely and would be far down the road if it ever happened, yet within less than a month we're getting ads.

How should the site make money then, since the patreon was cancelled and all the users are using it for free?  I would love to hear your ideas, maybe we can make the ads go away. 

Is the goal of the site to make money? If so, ad it up. Easy quick way to make money for a short period of time, at least until there's more backlash and more users leave.

You can also go the Wikipedia approach and ask for donations (this would assume the money is to cover server costs only and not to make a profit).

Another approach is "in app" purchases. The site could have all sorts of simple little stuff users could pay for that wouldn't be required for full access to the site. Maybe an option for a different background or site appearance, skins for your character, collectible digital badges, different animations/emojis/gifs. You could do all sorts of stuff.

You could also sell NA merch. Posters, shirts, coins, etc. Users could create stuff to be sold here too.

Finally, you could go an "academic" route where people submit requests for certain information, that person pays, that topic is researched by people here, and then the buyer gets an in depth report/analysis back about what they're requesting information for.

I'm sure there are other ways, but that's what I've got so far.

If there's going to be anything where people are buying and selling directly through the site, there really needs to be an SSL certificate.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 04:26 PM by yukfou

Jun 27 at 4:28:17 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
If jhm is still scrolling through this train wreck...

The ads are fine. Ads on vintage would also be fine. Any plans for a mobile friendly version?

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Jun 27 at 4:28:54 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
dun touch my tater though...

Jun 27 at 4:34:56 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

The ads are fine. Ads on vintage would also be fine. Any plans for a mobile friendly version?

The site is already mobile friendly?

Jun 27 at 4:41:42 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland

I think the bigger thing people are upset about is the unsureness of what's going to happen. Originally it's that ads are extremely unlikely and not worth the backlash that would come from implementing them. Then less than a month later, ads are coming.

So what's next? Are we going to start having to pay a subscription fee? Post quota? Turn into Reddit?

Not to mention the way jhm and the mods are approaching it and responding to the backlash is very condescending.

My WTB thread

Jun 27 at 4:42:08 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Gloves

Oh power gloves, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a real freaking nightmare to use the embedded posting functions on mobile platforms. From font sizes to picture uploading. A contest vet such as yourself should know this. Remember when photobucket decided we needed to pay and we all started using the in forum uploading? 

Jun 27 at 4:43:19 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland

Not for uploading pictures

Or quoting/bolding, etc

My WTB thread

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 04:44 PM by yukfou

Jun 27 at 4:55:07 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other

Not for uploading pictures Or quoting/bolding, etc

Aye, I used mobile for years even before the "modern" site came around, it was horrible and still is in my opinion. 

Jun 27 at 4:55:08 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

I think the bigger thing people are upset about is the unsureness of what's going to happen. Originally it's that ads are extremely unlikely and not worth the backlash that would come from implementing them. Then less than a month later, ads are coming.

So what's next? Are we going to start having to pay a subscription fee? Post quota? Turn into Reddit?

Not to mention the way jhm and the mods are approaching it and responding to the backlash is very condescending.

The mod collective hive mind is doing what now? What backlash? You and a couple people seem to be complaining, the vast majority don't seem to care. If that banner on the top runs the site for you, sorry. There is nothing you or I can do about it. Instead of worrying about hypothetical what's next, why not just see what happens and make your decision from there.

ETA: Quoting on mobile totally sucks, I agree there.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 04:56 PM by B.A.

Jun 27 at 4:55:48 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Oh power gloves, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a real freaking nightmare to use the embedded posting functions on mobile platforms. From font sizes to picture uploading. A contest vet such as yourself should know this. Remember when photobucket decided we needed to pay and we all started using the in forum uploading? 

I use imgur, so...

Jun 27 at 5:07:22 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado

I use imgur, so...

That's 6 extra steps homeskillet, even less mobile friendly to do. Getting enough maple syrup in your diet there fella?

Maybe this video of the screen jumping about as I type will help.

And don't get me started on how difficult it was too go through all that. So you know. Only trying to improve the community here. Bringing attention to something that ad revenue could be applied too.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 05:07 PM by SuperJimtendo

Jun 27 at 5:13:46 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: B.A.

The mod collective hive mind is doing what now? What backlash? You and a couple people seem to be complaining, the vast majority don't seem to care. If that banner on the top runs the site for you, sorry. There is nothing you or I can do about it. Instead of worrying about hypothetical what's next, why not just see what happens and make your decision from there.

ETA: Quoting on mobile totally sucks, I agree there.

Originally posted by: VGD

Originally posted by: B.A.

I think you guys are missing the big picture here. He had the nerve to add an "n" next to an "a" on the very top left of the page, right before the "nintendoAGE" huh???

That wasn't there yesterday! What the HELL!?!?!

The site is ruined, I'm out of here.

Yeah me too! WTF!!!!

And just look at the ad banner itself.

And if you really think only a few people are complaining, read through the Carolina collection, death of NA, and Nintendo age and gocollect threads.

My WTB thread

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 05:24 PM by yukfou

Jun 27 at 5:18:21 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

I'll get to work writing the FAQ.

Jun 27 at 5:20:32 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I use imgur, so...

That's 6 extra steps homeskillet, even less mobile friendly to do. Getting enough maple syrup in your diet there fella?

Maybe this video of the screen jumping about as I type will help.

width="500" height="280" frameborder="0" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6WF..." allowfullscreen="">>

And don't get me started on how difficult it was too go through all that. So you know. Only trying to improve the community here. Bringing attention to something that ad revenue could be applied too.

How dare you imply that the site is not perfect as is. Bunned

No but seriously I totally hear you and agree on all counts. The site could use significant improvements across the board.

Frankly if NA continues to function at a loss, I can't see Jeff investing in improvements for it. I'd consider that ads may well be step one on the path to improvements, not a sign of the end times.

Jun 27 at 5:23:59 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
That being said, I'm all for the game boy text adventure. This thread could really GET REKT.