Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Professional NES/SNES/GEN/GB Game Save Battery Replacement $9 including return shipping! details inside. Bulk Discounts!

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:05:02 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Insurance for loss of save. RPGs and adventures can be a PITA when they fail. Also, hint hint, if you have a Retrode, you can back up your saves before replacing the battery, or just load up the cart with a power save.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:46:57 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Insurance for loss of save. RPGs and adventures can be a PITA when they fail. Also, hint hint, if you have a Retrode, you can back up your saves before replacing the battery, or just load up the cart with a power save.

Yea Ive wanted to get one for awhile now to enhance the service, will probably pick one up soon.  Ive heard issues copying the saves back to the games though, not sure.  Ill have to research it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:40:09 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: ulasamosa

Yea Ive wanted to get one for awhile now to enhance the service, will probably pick one up soon.  Ive heard issues copying the saves back to the games though, not sure.  Ill have to research it.
On mine with Windows 8, it won't let me overwrite the save file, but the workaround is to delete the old save then write back the new save you want to replace it with. I can confirm it works fine with SNES. I successfully transfered a powersave for Super Mario Kart with all gold trophies and all cups unlocked.

I attempted to upload a powersave for Sonic3 + Knuckles to my Sonic 3 cart, but it didn't work. Sonic 3 uses FeRAM instead of normal SRAM so that may be part of it. I haven't tested any Genesis games with normal battery saves. Pity because my friend and I worked hard to play through Sonic3 + Knuckles, only for the thing to later delete itself when I attempted to play the game again. Uggg, sucks...

I heard the Retron5 also had issues with Sonic 3 and many GBA titles as well. Presumably the Retrode only supports SRAM saves on Game Boy and GBA games, not flash or EEPROM.

I've got the N64 and GB/GBA adapters. I would also like to get someone to make me a PCB for Atari dumping since the Retrode supports it. I've got a nice collection of Atari games and homebrews too.

Edited: 10/26/2014 at 05:42 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:41:09 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio

On mine with Windows 8, it won't let me overwrite the save file, but the workaround is to delete the old save then write back the new save you want to replace it with. I can confirm it works fine with SNES. I successfully transfered a powersave for Super Mario Kart with all gold trophies and all cups unlocked.

I attempted to upload a powersave for Sonic3 + Knuckles to my Sonic 3 cart, but it didn't work. Sonic 3 uses FeRAM instead of normal SRAM so that may be part of it. I haven't tested any Genesis games with normal battery saves. Pity because my friend and I worked hard to play through Sonic3 + Knuckles, only for the thing to later delete itself when I attempted to play the game again. Uggg, sucks...

I heard the Retron5 also had issues with Sonic 3 and many GBA titles as well. Presumably the Retrode only supports SRAM saves on Game Boy and GBA games, not flash or EEPROM.

I've got the N64 and GB/GBA adapters. I would also like to get someone to make me a PCB for Atari dumping since the Retrode supports it. I've got a nice collection of Atari games and homebrews too.

cool man, thanks for the info.  I will check into it.  Sound like a great option.  Do they have anything like that for NES other then a CopyNES

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:23:04 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

cool man, thanks for the info.  I will check into it.  Sound like a great option.  Do they have anything like that for NES other then a CopyNES

CopyNES from RetroUSB and the Kazzo programmer/dumper from INL. Retrode doesn't support dumping NES due to mapper hell. But I really want an Atari card for it. I'll need to see if someone at AtariAge can print a run of SNES -> Atari PCBs. I don't care if they don't have a Cartridge housing. Also you can still buy Atari cart connectors from Best Electronics.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:53:06 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio

1 Smash Bros back from the dead. On its way back tommorow. Thanks Malon!

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:09:46 PM
Bimmy (0)
(Justin Boza) < Cherub >
Florida
I have a copy of Secret Scout (NES) that won't play even after cleaning all the contacts. On the circuit board there appears to be some sort of in line fuse (looks almost like a diode). I am thinking that might be the problem. Do you have any experience with anything like that?

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:42:08 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bimmy

I have a copy of Secret Scout (NES) that won't play even after cleaning all the contacts. On the circuit board there appears to be some sort of in line fuse (looks almost like a diode). I am thinking that might be the problem. Do you have any experience with anything like that?

I do cart repairs also yes. Send me a pic of the board front and back.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:56:07 PM
Bimmy (0)
(Justin Boza) < Cherub >
Florida

Edited: 10/31/2014 at 05:03 PM by Bimmy

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:12:09 AM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio
bump!

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:43:45 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio
bump just did a huge order with another huge one coming in the next week. Thanks everyone for your continued support over the years.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:35:20 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio

Thanks Nico, comin back tommorow! Enjoy. I appreciate your business.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:09:04 PM
Nico8912 (70)
(Nick D) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Got my games back today, James does excellent work. Highly recommend! Will definitely contact you in the future if I need some more work done, thanks man!

-My Collection-
http://www.listal.com/list/my-games-nico8912

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:31:37 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
I wish I had remembered this service earlier this year when I got rid of a Pokemon Yellow with a dead battery. I would replay that now, haha. Awesome thread.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:10:07 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

I wish I had remembered this service earlier this year when I got rid of a Pokemon Yellow with a dead battery. I would replay that now, haha. Awesome thread.

Lulz.  Yea Pokemons are obviously the #1 GB games thats comes in with dead batteries

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:25:20 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

Lulz.  Yea Pokemons are obviously the #1 GB games thats comes in with dead batteries
I'm not totally sure, but didn't all the Pokemons come with an internal RTC (real time clock)? Watch batteries typically last 5 years tops. SRAM batteries have been proven to last as long as 20 or more...

SRAM is static when inactive meaning it does not change states. The only time the SRAM changes states is when the game is powered on and reading/writing to the save. In those instances, the game console is supplying the juice. The MOSFET gate junctions within the RAM chip do not draw current when inactive due to the nature of the chips. If any, it's probably on the order of nanoamps.

A RTC as contained in games like Pokemon or N64 Animal Crossing (Japan only) used a quartz crystal that oscillates around 100,000 times per second. The oscillator, while tiny, requires active current draw to operate, so the batteries will drain faster. With the SRAM, what you're looking at practically is the actual shelf live of the battery. Internal resistance is extremely high for CR2032s or other 3V lithium batteries, so they'll hold a charge for a very long time, 20 years or more in some instances.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:39:33 PM
ulasamosa (280)
Ohio
bump

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:55:38 PM
pdelponte (5)

(Ass Clown) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Hey are you still offering this service? I have about 30+ games that need this service.

I PM'ed you as well.