Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Final Fight Guy CIB black box What's it worth?

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:59:00 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: nintendopower_4_ever

how far are you from redmond and what other games did you get from the nintendo employee?

you washington members are so lucky to just be able to walk down the street and find prototypes or jump on craigslist and find black box final fight guy's....

I'm about two hours south, and the CL market sucks around here. I guess if you get really close like that, you could start to find stuff... that Final Fantasy proto for example. But this is a crappy place to live (specifically, where I am)

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:55:31 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Both the alt EWJ2 and the Xmen/Spiderman boxes were early boxes that never saw retail production. They are on a thinner stock and have no UPCs. Some early ads in magazines etc will use these pictures.

The Zombies and Final Fight Guy do appear to have been released somewhere but they might not be USA releases.

The Bomberman in the standard size box with the UPC I am unsure of and I'm unsure if any others have poped up.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:05:57 AM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada

Pooch and I own this game

-------------------------
Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:07:05 AM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

dang.  the only word that comes to mind is booyakasha (?)

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:09:24 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
awesome!

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:13:46 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

ya gotta get that thing regraded curtis!

(graded pre the plus system, lock for an 85+ )

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:14:22 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
btw, great find Gerald!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:03:33 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah Curtis what the hell took you so long to get in here Yours is / was the only copy I had ever seen and I've always thought of you as the Bronty of SNES, haha.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:35:36 PM
loop006 (0)
(Gerald Levinzon) < Little Mac >
Washington
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I was acutally on the fence about buying an orange box from superstarr several months ago!

Are there any theories on where these black boxes came from?

Nintendo internal release?

Capcom mail order exclusive?

Canned NTSC retail release with a few surviving copies?

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:06:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
your guess is as good as anyone's.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:11:11 PM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Does the black box have a code on it? With the orange box saying FFG was a blockbuster exclusive in the US, its possible that that contract was no good in Canada especially since Canada probably didn't have many blockbusters at the time? Therefore they sold it in alternative packaging?

Obviously its all speculative. If that was the case though, that'd make it as bonafide as Super Copa in terms of NTSC releases, obv. a helluva hard variant.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:43:24 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
I'd love to hear what happened with this... so bump it up! are you going to bring it to PRGE?
Josh

eBay listings here

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:46:15 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: smeagolsama

Does the black box have a code on it? With the orange box saying FFG was a blockbuster exclusive in the US, its possible that that contract was no good in Canada especially since Canada probably didn't have many blockbusters at the time? Therefore they sold it in alternative packaging?

Obviously its all speculative. If that was the case though, that'd make it as bonafide as Super Copa in terms of NTSC releases, obv. a helluva hard variant.

this copy was found in the US not canada

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:47:23 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States

I'm starting to think this too. Washington is not far from Canada. I'm thinking the Black Box may have been a Canada thing. Nintendo distributed north America at that time, but they did have some exclusive local distribution things like Super Copa in Mexico. Maybe the Orange Box was a US blockbuster deal, and the black box was just a Canadian distribution. The Game codes would both be -USA, just like super copa.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:50:09 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Also, didn't Maxi 15 on NES come with a extra yellow outer box for Canada only? I kind of agree with the Canadian only theory, after all, Curtis is Canadian himself.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:53:57 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
^ I had a sealed Maxi 15 that had a yellow outer box. Not sure if it was Canada only, though.

*edit* I think this is an old scan of mine, or maybe it was a pic I saved. Either way, looked the same:

Edited: 08/16/2011 at 10:55 PM by zeldaboy

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:02:03 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Also, didn't Maxi 15 on NES come with a extra yellow outer box for Canada only? I kind of agree with the Canadian only theory, after all, Curtis is Canadian himself.

Well one of the sealed Black Box FFGs came from the NOA Canada Auctions, so we know they had one, and it came from Nintendo Headquarters in Canada.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:54:46 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: Bronty

this copy was found in the US not canada

You may be right but the location of the poster is:  USA Washington.

If it was found in Washinton it isn't that big of a stretch to say that this game may have started out in Canada.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:18:19 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: udisi

I'm starting to think this too. Washington is not far from Canada. I'm thinking the Black Box may have been a Canada thing. Nintendo distributed north America at that time, but they did have some exclusive local distribution things like Super Copa in Mexico. Maybe the Orange Box was a US blockbuster deal, and the black box was just a Canadian distribution. The Game codes would both be -USA, just like super copa.

come on guys.   am I the only one who sees the common denominator is that all copies so far have come from nintendo employees (on either side of the border)?   Two copies found in the canadian hq, and one copy, as the story in the thread went, found right by the US hq in washington and suspected to have come from a US employee who worked at the US hq.

not to mention that if it was cdn only distribution, it would be far LESS rare than it is.  Canadian variants are pretty scarce but they are nowhere near THIS rare.

the far more likely explanation is that it was intended as a normal release, then a deal was signed with blockbuster, and the release changed.   a few copies leaking out from hq's indicates there were some copies printed before the blockbuster deal, with most of those probably trashed.

this follows far more of a SE script than a maxi 15 script.

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 01:23 AM by Bronty

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:10:18 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

come on guys.   am I the only one who sees the common denominator is that all copies so far have come from nintendo employees (on either side of the border)?   Two copies found in the canadian hq, and one copy, as the story in the thread went, found right by the US hq in washington and suspected to have come from a US employee who worked at the US hq.

not to mention that if it was cdn only distribution, it would be far LESS rare than it is.  Canadian variants are pretty scarce but they are nowhere near THIS rare.

the far more likely explanation is that it was intended as a normal release, then a deal was signed with blockbuster, and the release changed.   a few copies leaking out from hq's indicates there were some copies printed before the blockbuster deal, with most of those probably trashed.

But then people will need the game to complete the set and there are not enough to go around so this can not stand

Seriously though, you bring up a good point. The inverse of what I have said is also true. Washington is close to Canada but then Canada is also close to Washington. Unless someone can produce one that was purchased in a retail setting they could have all been leaked out by employees etc.

But then what would that mean ?  Does that mean they were never released and that these are some sort of test cart ? Are they part of the SNES set then or not? No matter how you see it people without the carts will discount them.   

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:07:51 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: buyatari2

But then people will need the game to complete the set and there are not enough to go around so this can not stand

Seriously though, you bring up a good point. The inverse of what I have said is also true. Washington is close to Canada but then Canada is also close to Washington. Unless someone can produce one that was purchased in a retail setting they could have all been leaked out by employees etc.

But then what would that mean ?  Does that mean they were never released and that these are some sort of test cart ? Are they part of the SNES set then or not? No matter how you see it people without the carts will discount them.   

Kinda a Chettahmen II syndrome then. A game that wasn't really released.  Adam's been around long enough to remember the debate over Cheetahmen II. People didn't originally accept it as a release since they were never release, but rather found in a warehouse in 1997, long after the NES was out of production. We know how that turned out now, but that's why you could buy them so cheap back in the day.

Makes me wonder what would Happen if a pallet of Police Academy was found today.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:00:46 AM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada

The only thing I can add to this conversation regarding the FFG Black box is the following:

I talked to both the Warehouse employee extensively and one of the accountants that worked in the office.

The games were all from a locked locker room/area called the 'Marketing storage' according to the warehouse employee. There was apparently 1 that was cleared out (my stuff) and a locked one the warehouse employee had no access too. This is where the NOC ebay auction games came from.

So if those games were for marketing, that means it was intended for release eventually, doesn't it?

So I guess you have to fall into one of these options:

1) It was never marketed/released because Nintendo subsequently made a deal with Blockbuster to release the Orange Exclusive

2) It's a Canadian variant with only 3 known copies that exist - which 1 was said to come from Nintendo Of America in Washington

I don't know about you, but I personally think option #1 makes more sense, the Stadium events (ish) situation.

Think about it - There are what, 3-5 confirmed sealed SEs? 2 confirmed sealed FFGs - 1 CIB

Like Dan says, if it were a Canadian variant, (or a Cheetamen situation/maxi?), there would be a heck of a lot more of these available.

For option 2 though,  the only information I can think of that would back the rare Canadian variant argument, would be the elusive CDN DK. Jr. Math that continues to haunt Braveheart... (unless I missed him getting one) or I missed anyone else having it... (I'm not following NES stuff much anymore)

Or am I crazy?

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 11:20 AM by maximus_clean

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:10:31 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Originally posted by: buyatari2

Kinda a Chettahmen II syndrome then. A game that wasn't really released.  Adam's been around long enough to remember the debate over Cheetahmen II. People didn't originally accept it as a release since they were never release, but rather found in a warehouse in 1997, long after the NES was out of production. We know how that turned out now, but that's why you could buy them so cheap back in the day.

Makes me wonder what would Happen if a pallet of Police Academy was found today.

well its not like cheetah 2 because cheetah 2 didn't get released at all.   This got released, in at least one form.

The fact is we don't really know enough about what happened and we can only guess.    All we can say for sure is that its an extremely rare variant of a released game

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 11:10 AM by Bronty

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:18:25 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
They obviously did a run of a couple thousand of these (in the very least). Now if Nintendo destroyed them all, who knows, these may have been "for sale" at one of the Nintendo Employee Sales. I'm betting there are more out there - maybe in the marketing closet at capcom

I would lean towards the idea that Blockbuster got exclusive rights to distribute it and NOA said hell yeah, we want a slice of the BB pie since we already released this title and no one is going to buy the same shit minus Cody.

It has a release date of 1994 - i'm not sure if this 100% accurate, but it sounds about right. I'm thinking this was the first true venture of "rental exclusive" between Nintendo and BB - although the end of the NES era Nintendo may have saw the potential and tested the market with late releases to BB AND other rental stores. It obviously worked (to some extent) - seeing as Nintendo worked with Blockbuster in the future when the VB was released - they rented systems, also, Mario Tennis had a "Display Box Only" availible at BB.

Needless to say, Blockbuster ended up with a lot of shit titles/products that Nintendo had a hard time marketing... also, the Expansion Pak for the N64 comes to mind - i remember renting Perfect Dark and they had to include the expansion pack with it (making it a little more to rent).

Oh Blockbuster, how you got what you deserved

eBay listings here

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 03:18 PM by qixmaster

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:06:36 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

They obviously did a run of a couple thousand of these (in the very least). Now if Nintendo destroyed them all, who knows, these may have been "for sale" at one of the Nintendo Employee Sales. I'm betting there are more out there - maybe in the marketing closet at capcom

I would lean towards the idea that Blockbuster got exclusive rights to distribute it and NOA said hell yeah, we want a slice of the BB pie since we already released this title and no one is going to buy the same shit minus Cody.

It has a release date of 1994 - i'm not sure if this 100% accurate, but it sounds about right. I'm thinking this was the first true venture of "rental exclusive" between Nintendo and BB - although the end of the NES era Nintendo may have saw the potential and tested the market with late releases to BB AND other rental stores. It obviously worked (to some extent) - seeing as Nintendo worked with Blockbuster in the future when the VB was released - they rented systems, also, Mario Tennis had a "Display Box Only" availible at BB.

Needless to say, Blockbuster ended up with a lot of shit titles/products that Nintendo had a hard time marketing... also, the Expansion Pak for the N64 comes to mind - i remember renting Perfect Dark and they had to include the expansion pack with it (making it a little more to rent).

Oh Blockbuster, how you got what you deserved

Why would it have to be in the thousands?

Sure the ROM board for any game would have to be in the thousands but I'm not so sure the box was. Boxes are cheap to make compared to the rom.  I have seen some boxes made in very limited numbers that were changed prior to production.

This file copy Clayfighters game I have lists the cost of the box at 61 cents and the cost of the cartridge at $18.40

This is the only file copy I have so I am uncertain how different the price for the Clayfighters box would be from other boxes. The cartridge cost  also would differ from game to game but a normal box might be super cheap.

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 04:15 PM by buyatari2