Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"current generation games suck!" do they really?

May 19, 2017 at 2:36:52 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: mattbep

Even if someone like Guntz or pegboy played a fantasticly designed modern game, they would hate it. They're just not the right type of people.
I don't have a problem with those two favoring older games. Different strokes and all.

But boy they sure go out of their way to rationalize their preferences.

May 19, 2017 at 3:26:54 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
I just find it hard to believe people actually prefer things like DLC, day one DLC, digital downloads everything, always online and other so called modern conveniences. Old games never had any of that.

It gets tiring trying to explain, so I'll sum it like this. New games have changed in ways that don't appeal to me and do not target the demographic I belong to. Why should I force an appreciation for something when it's not genuine? I like older games and I always will.

May 19, 2017 at 3:33:23 PM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Guntz

I just find it hard to believe people actually prefer things like DLC, day one DLC, digital downloads everything, always online and other so called modern conveniences. Old games never had any of that.

It gets tiring trying to explain, so I'll sum it like this. New games have changed in ways that don't appeal to me and do not target the demographic I belong to. Why should I force an appreciation for something when it's not genuine? I like older games and I always will.
I think most of us understand where you're coming from and like Tupla said, it's definitely your prerogative.

I was just trying to show that not all modern games can be lumped into the category you so strongly dislike (online multiplayer, 100s of hours, DLC, digital, always online, etc.)

Going back to what I initially said, there are modern games that fit your complaints but there are many others that don't have those "issues". 

-------------------------

May 19, 2017 at 4:17:57 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
There are very few, if any DLC to most survival/atmospheric games I play, other than mods that change the game to a new story/setting, which are optional.

Most of the Frictional Games aren't 100 hours, they're quite a bit shorter, only a few hours. Heck, some 16-bit era RPGs were longer.

Honestly, categorizing current games as "they're all loaded with DLC and stuff" is like saying "you always had to blow on old games to get them to work." Both are unfair generalizations.

Edited: 05/19/2017 at 04:26 PM by Tulpa

May 19, 2017 at 4:42:04 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Yeah I never had to really buy much DLC, besides you get what you pay for.

Mario Kart 8 had excellent DLC it was like $13 and you got a 1/4 of new game, on a $ for track basis it was an amazing addition.

It is on a case by case basis, you can't just say "all" DLC sucks, some are actually done very well.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

May 19, 2017 at 4:53:55 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Not to mention with many of the best games, you just wait for it to be released as a GotYE with all of the DLC at a bargain price. I honestly find that to be a huge perk for the modern scene

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 05/19/2017 at 04:54 PM by Brock Landers

May 19, 2017 at 4:56:00 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

Yeah I never had to really buy much DLC, besides you get what you pay for.

Mario Kart 8 had excellent DLC it was like $13 and you got a 1/4 of new game, on a $ for track basis it was an amazing addition.

It is on a case by case basis, you can't just say "all" DLC sucks, some are actually done very well.
Mario Kart 8 is the best example i can think of for DLC done right. 

Edit* I'm usually against DLC unless its really worth it like Mario Kart 8. I cant stand the whole Season Pass bullshit! Never have i downloaded one, never will i! I find it to be insulting and greedy to release content along side the game that you have to pay extra for. Just sell us the entire game! Finish it first and sell us a complete product!  

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Edited: 05/19/2017 at 05:08 PM by D~Funk

May 19, 2017 at 5:01:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Shovel Knight has basically released an entirely new game as free-to-download DLC, on an annual basis, since its release.

That is hard not to prefer to a static purchase.

May 20, 2017 at 11:50:09 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

New games have changed 

Games don't change, we do  

May 21, 2017 at 1:34:39 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
They are different compared to old ones I mean...

May 21, 2017 at 4:35:57 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

Some new games are good, some new games are bad.

Some old games are good, some old games are bad.

Blanket statements are for illogical assholes.

Anda 1 anda 2 anda 3 anda!

Some new games are good, some new games are bad!

Some old games are bad, some old games are good!

TO THE BRIDGE YA'LL! (TO THE BRIDGE YA'LL)

The people who apply blanket statements like "All new games are bad" tango!

Alright people, spin your joystick round and round!
Logic and rules are for fools!  

Originally posted by: mattbep

Oh nooooo. Now the usuals have another chance to spew their hate of anything post-1994! Shoot!

Unless I beat them to it. I got it guys:
"Games nowadays hold your hand and anyone can beat them within a couple hours. It's a total joke. It's like developers learned how to make games more FUN with the improved technology, instead of games being DIFFICULT due to the limitations of primitive hardware AS IT SHOULD BE!"

Ok, now you don't have to make your post using a bunch of cuss words and mentioning YouTube frauds. Please. Spare me the pain.

My biggest gripe with modern games is that they hold your hand...    

Modern games suck...just like this thread!  

*Goes back into NES cave*

May 21, 2017 at 10:43:14 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: gunpei

New games have changed 

Games don't change, we do  

But if everything changes with time, and the game stays the same, the game is the thing that's changed because it's all relative.   

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

May 21, 2017 at 10:47:23 AM
SilvertongueBullet (5)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Anyway..... Back to playing my Ghosts n Goblins