Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Reproduction" Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak yep.....

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:10:11 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Morality aside, they're both the same thing with the exception reproductions are more likely to be placed inside of North American shells with North American artwork, both intended to make money off of someone elses IP. The delivery method doesn't make it any better or worse. People are paying high dollar for fake famicom games and getting burned just as bad, if not worse, than the repro makers. I can't really see how you can even justify saying that Chinese bootlegs aren't attempting to deceive. What other purpose do they have?

The thing that annoys me are the people who feel as though there really is a difference between a pirate/bootleg from the 90's and reproductions of today. The only difference is there's more available knowledge now, otherwise they're the same thing. If you're going to lament on one, you should be doing it on both. Both are illegal, both are "morally wrong", both are "stealing from the big guys" (and sometimes the small guys), and so on. Hate both or hate neither, quit trying to justify one type of piracy because "they were around in the hey day and aren't using authentic period pieces" (which, 99% of the eproms and such to make these repros are, well, made in the 80's and 90's, so they would still fit the same criteria).

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:19:38 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: pegboy

Originally posted by: deathrock83

It's no different from making bootlegs of Japanese games and calling them "reproductions" (which apparently is just fine on NA).

I may be wrong but that seems to be a bit of oversimplifying there.

Not really.  People make and sell bootlegs of expensive famicom games (Recca and Gimmick for instance) all day long around here.  They pretend that it's not because those games costs hundreds of dollars by the lame "it wasn't released in the US" cop out.  But that's all it is, a cop out.  You don't need to know a single japanese character to play either of these games.  They don't want to pay a lot of money and import the real games so they make or buy bootlegs on the cheap.

It's all piracy at the end of the day.  Playing the "region" card is complete crap and they know it.

Are they reproducing those games on famicom cartridges with famicom cases?

The consumer demand is for Japanese games reproduced onto NES cartridges.

If you want a direct comparison it would be if this guy was taking Flintstones 2 and stuffing it into a Famicom shell.

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 02:20 PM by arch_8ngel

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:19:59 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: dra600n

Morality aside, they're both the same thing with the exception reproductions are more likely to be placed inside of North American shells with North American artwork, both intended to make money off of someone elses IP. The delivery method doesn't make it any better or worse. People are paying high dollar for fake famicom games and getting burned just as bad, if not worse, than the repro makers. I can't really see how you can even justify saying that Chinese bootlegs aren't attempting to deceive. What other purpose do they have?

The thing that annoys me are the people who feel as though there really is a difference between a pirate/bootleg from the 90's and reproductions of today. The only difference is there's more available knowledge now, otherwise they're the same thing. If you're going to lament on one, you should be doing it on both. Both are illegal, both are "morally wrong", both are "stealing from the big guys" (and sometimes the small guys), and so on. Hate both or hate neither, quit trying to justify one type of piracy because "they were around in the hey day and aren't using authentic period pieces" (which, 99% of the eproms and such to make these repros are, well, made in the 80's and 90's, so they would still fit the same criteria).

No, bootlegs make money of someone's IP, counterfeits make money off the deception.  People buy bootlegs for the IP, people buy counterfeits because they are duped into thinking they are the originals (edit: or because they think they can make money off duping others).  Counterfeiting and copyright infringment are not really even related problems.

edit:
Counterfeiting is a consumer issue (which is why you will see consumers get pissed off about it) while copyright infringment is an issue with the copyright holder.

GRRR!

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 02:26 PM by cradelit

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:28:03 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: cradelit

No, bootlegs make money of someone's IP, counterfeits make money off the deception.  People buy bootlegs for the IP, people buy counterfeits because they are duped into thinking they are the originals (edit: or because they think they can make money off duping others).  Counterfeiting and copyright infringment are not really even related problems.

They're both deceptive unless you know what you're looking for, so unless everyone is well versed in collecting in any area, counterfits and bootlegs do the same damage. The problem isn't whether people are buying them or not, the problem is neither are authorized publications.

Is that the problem of the seller, or the buyer because they are unaware? Or what about the seller of an item who doesn't know it's a counterfit OR a bootleg? You can twist the morality around all you want on it, they're both as bad as each other, regardless how you try to sleight the attention on them.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:30:50 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Just to clarify, cradelit, I agree that there's a *slight* difference in morality (really tugging at strings to even justify that myself), but at the end of the day, they're both fake, both were meant to make money off of people, and I'm sure they weren't sold as "bootlegs", but either as original compilations or as the actual game. The only thing that helps bootleg famicom games is a lot of publishers used specific cart molds on their releases. They're the same thing with the same mentality behind it - they don't care if the consumer knows it's fake or not, they just want to sell the product.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:35:04 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Copyright law has also become such a bloody corrupt mess that I can no longer personally fault people for infringing. It's the worst example of legislative capture I have any experience with. It has strayed so far from it's purpose of promoting progress that it's not even recognizable as it's original purpose anymore.

GRRR!

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:40:25 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Haha ain't that the truth

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:54:43 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

It's no different from making bootlegs of Japanese games and calling them "reproductions" (which apparently is just fine on NA).

I may be wrong but that seems to be a bit of oversimplifying there.

Not really.  People make and sell bootlegs of expensive famicom games (Recca and Gimmick for instance) all day long around here.  They pretend that it's not because those games costs hundreds of dollars by the lame "it wasn't released in the US" cop out.  But that's all it is, a cop out.  You don't need to know a single japanese character to play either of these games.  They don't want to pay a lot of money and import the real games so they make or buy bootlegs on the cheap.

It's all piracy at the end of the day.  Playing the "region" card is complete crap and they know it.

Totally Agree

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:16:25 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'm surprised how many of these posts have fallen into the agreement that it's all just straight up piracy. Sure you can take the moral ground of deception versus cheap knockoff theft, but in the end you can't be a mind reader and to one it can be either or so they're equally just as bad. All you can do is accept it and embrace it or avoid it. With the few bootlegs and multicarts I have I'm just fine with it as a provides a fun service. It's up to a buyer to be informed and look at what they get or the consequences can be real and that's for anything, not just games.

Again though I am curious, has anyone ever bought a label off that dude who makes so called perfect copies that says 'reproduction' in teeny print by the game serial code? I'm really interested to know what kind of label and ink quality is used.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:21:06 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: tracker465

Just always about people wanting things and not wanting to pay money for them.

This isn't meant to start a shitstorm since I don't know all the ins and outs but don't you own 25+ pirate carts? What's the difference, in that case?
A lot of people ask this question to me when these topics arise. In reality, I own hundreds of pirated carts on Famicom (not NES format but playable on NES with an adapter).  Some are multicarts, some are just single carts.  But there are a few things that make these pirated game cartridges much more acceptable to some folks than the stuff that is being discussed in this thread:

1)  The pirated carts that I own were made by Chinese / Taiwanese / Hong Kong game companies back during the Famicom era, namely the 1980s and 1990s.  These weren't made by single people who set out to defraud collectors of millions; rather, these were made by software companies that wanted to make some quick cash via piracy.  Back in the day, interestingly enough, many retailers in Asia actually preferred selling these bootleg games to the originals, as there was a bigger profit margin for the store.  While the consumers certainly knew about whether the game was a fake or not, most didn't care.  

2)  The carts I have are not close replicas, by any means.  Once in awhile I find a bootleg / pirate game that is so close to the original, that most people would have no idea that it was a counterfeit; however, most of the stuff that I have is clearly not an original, with many clearly distinctive signs depicting it for what it is, a bootleg.

3)  The carts that are in my collection were made back during the NES era.  They may be copies of original Nintendo software, but they are period authentic and not modern.

The bootleg Famicom games have always been around, from the start.  No one in the Famicom collecting scene cares about the bootleg copy of Recca that I found and own, nor do they care about the bootleg Little Sampson (Lickle) I have (though I also have a real one), the bootleg Gimmick, etc.  These carts are not being made by collectors or sleazy resellers, and they are easily distinguishable from the official releases.  Many famicom collectors do get up in arms, however, when fans make "reproduction" carts of Recca, for example.  Those carts closely mimick the real game, can be easily confused with the real version, are being made in the modern times, etc.  And that would be the same reason why something like this Flintstones 2 I find to be garbage and quite damaging towards the community, whereas one of the countless pirated carts from back in the day would not be.

All of your reasons are just trying to justify you accepting one method of piracy over the other. That's fine, and people shouldn't care what you do with your money. That respect you receive for your methods of supporting piracy should be reciprocated, which is clearly not the case ever with you and a few other members.

Crade sums it up quite nicely in his post.  Famicom (and to a lesser extent NES collectors, since there aren't nearly as many bootleg 72 pin carts out there) don't care about bootleg Chinese game  carts made 20 years ago; they were around then, and are still around today.  But likewise, they aren't being used as scam fodder, which is why people get upset about these modern "reproductions."

I always laugh when people make those "limited release" "repros" of Japanese-exclusive games.  Make a limited run of ten carts, throw it into the online NA rarity list database, and suddenly we have an instant rarity, that becomes part of the aftermarket "set".  If that isn't a cash grab, I'm not sure what is.  

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:28:46 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

edit:
Counterfeiting is a consumer issue (which is why you will see consumers get pissed off about it) while copyright infringment is an issue with the copyright holder.
I would like to know again, how many people buy Stadium Events for the gaming experience / enjoyment?  So if the people are not buying it for the IP, they would be buying it because..of collecting reasons, right?  So Stadium events "repros" are being purchased for the ip, or because people are being duped?  What about FS2?  Unless that game has enjoyed a surge in popularity over the past few years (which imo would be quite strange, considering there are other games that are much better than it, that people aren't reproing), I would assume that repro FS2 carts are being bought for a similar reason, i.e. people getting scammed.

-----

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:35:16 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Just always about people wanting things and not wanting to pay money for them.

This isn't meant to start a shitstorm since I don't know all the ins and outs but don't you own 25+ pirate carts? What's the difference, in that case?
A lot of people ask this question to me when these topics arise. In reality, I own hundreds of pirated carts on Famicom (not NES format but playable on NES with an adapter).  Some are multicarts, some are just single carts.  But there are a few things that make these pirated game cartridges much more acceptable to some folks than the stuff that is being discussed in this thread:

1)  The pirated carts that I own were made by Chinese / Taiwanese / Hong Kong game companies back during the Famicom era, namely the 1980s and 1990s.  These weren't made by single people who set out to defraud collectors of millions; rather, these were made by software companies that wanted to make some quick cash via piracy.  Back in the day, interestingly enough, many retailers in Asia actually preferred selling these bootleg games to the originals, as there was a bigger profit margin for the store.  While the consumers certainly knew about whether the game was a fake or not, most didn't care.  

2)  The carts I have are not close replicas, by any means.  Once in awhile I find a bootleg / pirate game that is so close to the original, that most people would have no idea that it was a counterfeit; however, most of the stuff that I have is clearly not an original, with many clearly distinctive signs depicting it for what it is, a bootleg.

3)  The carts that are in my collection were made back during the NES era.  They may be copies of original Nintendo software, but they are period authentic and not modern.

The bootleg Famicom games have always been around, from the start.  No one in the Famicom collecting scene cares about the bootleg copy of Recca that I found and own, nor do they care about the bootleg Little Sampson (Lickle) I have (though I also have a real one), the bootleg Gimmick, etc.  These carts are not being made by collectors or sleazy resellers, and they are easily distinguishable from the official releases.  Many famicom collectors do get up in arms, however, when fans make "reproduction" carts of Recca, for example.  Those carts closely mimick the real game, can be easily confused with the real version, are being made in the modern times, etc.  And that would be the same reason why something like this Flintstones 2 I find to be garbage and quite damaging towards the community, whereas one of the countless pirated carts from back in the day would not be.

All of your reasons are just trying to justify you accepting one method of piracy over the other. That's fine, and people shouldn't care what you do with your money. That respect you receive for your methods of supporting piracy should be reciprocated, which is clearly not the case ever with you and a few other members.

Crade sums it up quite nicely in his post.  Famicom (and to a lesser extent NES collectors, since there aren't nearly as many bootleg 72 pin carts out there) don't care about bootleg Chinese game  carts made 20 years ago; they were around then, and are still around today.  But likewise, they aren't being used as scam fodder, which is why people get upset about these modern "reproductions."

I always laugh when people make those "limited release" "repros" of Japanese-exclusive games.  Make a limited run of ten carts, throw it into the online NA rarity list database, and suddenly we have an instant rarity, that becomes part of the aftermarket "set".  If that isn't a cash grab, I'm not sure what is.  

I'm with you on the limited runs, and even though I've done them in the past, I highly dislike them. I've caught a lot of flack on the whole Fix-It Felix nonsense (much more than has been let known), but there were also varying levels on why that was just a limited run on both runs. Maybe I'll eventually talk about all that haha.

As for the modern reproductions vs the bootlegs of the 90's, just because most people don't care, doesn't excuse the fact of what they really are - early "reproductions". Most people don't care about reproductions coming out today, sans a few, so the same could be said about those. It's just annoying to see people all gungho about bootlegs from the 90's and 100% against reproductions, regardless of the reason, as it's very hypocritical. They're the same thing with the same intent on why they were made - to make money. Sure, the bootlegs of today might look more and more like a retail release, but that comes with the territory in every hobby. You can't defend one side of the argument while opposing the other, it just doesn't work.

I'm not against reproductions, and I respect those that are against them. I'm just against the whole "well it's okay for this because of X reason and hate these because of Y reason". You have scammers all of the board, regardless of it's a bootleg from the 90's, a reproduction made last week, or a rare item that has a lot of attention.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:54:44 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

edit:
I would like to know again, how many people buy Stadium Events for the gaming experience / enjoyment?  So if the people are not buying it for the IP, they would be buying it because..of collecting reasons, right?  So Stadium events "repros" are being purchased for the ip, or because people are being duped?  What about FS2?  Unless that game has enjoyed a surge in popularity over the past few years (which imo would be quite strange, considering there are other games that are much better than it, that people aren't reproing), I would assume that repro FS2 carts are being bought for a similar reason, i.e. people getting scammed.

FS2 is genuinely fun and does have bootleg prints.  You will see some famicom carts that are bright green and have a label from the live action movie or something which are obviously just made for the game not attempting to pass as the original in any way shape or form (unlike the one in this thread, which I guarantee will be on ebay hoping people miss the fine print).  The only non counterfeit value that I can think of that S.E. might possibly have would be the novelty of trying it out plus a placeholder in your collection I guess.

GRRR!

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:16:02 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington

FS2 is genuinely fun and does have bootleg prints.  You will see some famicom carts that are bright green and have a label from the live action movie or something which are obviously just made for the game not attempting to pass as the original in any way shape or form (unlike the one in this thread, which I guarantee will be on ebay hoping people miss the fine print).  The only non counterfeit value that I can think of that S.E. might possibly have would be the novelty of trying it out plus a placeholder in your collection I guess.

Believe it or not I've actually thought about getting a bootleg SE (and probably a few others like F2, Panesians, etc) for that exact reason.  I already own the originals, but I don't exactly want to just have them laying exposed on a shelf with hundreds of other carts.  I'd still like to have every cart of the set on my shelves though, so maybe I can get some bootlegs and use them as stand-ins.  Either that or I just have a blank space where they should go.  Haven't figured out exactly what I want to do.

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 04:16 PM by pegboy

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:13:33 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

edit:

Yeah I know that it had some 60 pin bootlegs made back in the day, as did so many other games from America and Japan.  And to agree with you, I enjoy FS2 as well, but the going sentiment here at NA is that the game sucks.  It definitely isn't worth the price of admission, whatever the case.

But I've never really heard someone say that they really, really wanted FS2 just for the sake of playing the game; if the rarity wasn't surrounding that game, it would just disappear and be a footnote in gaming, much like the original in the series.  So all of these 72 pin fakes are primarily geared towards frauding collectors, and as someone that collects the games, it is ruining the hobby.

-----

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:32:42 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
There are lots fake beers out there like Miller High Life but that doesn't stop me from being a raging drunk.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:21:37 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

There are lots fake beers out there like Miller High Life but that doesn't stop me from being a raging drunk.
Hahahahaha, I hate drinking swill.  Give me a few Belgians and that'll be fine for me

-----

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:53:31 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Repro labels are great! Its the only way I will finish my collection. Now I just need to buy out someones mega collection of SMB/DH games (wink, wink PMA) and slap on repro labels of the games I still need! I wont play the rest of those games anyway, so problem solved!

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:43:41 PM
drclaw411 (14)
(Michael ) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I wish some of these people really were making labels just for upgrades, not to sell to others so they in turn could rip somebody off. I just want a label for my Little Mermaid nes cart because my sister ripped it off when we were little because she wanted to put it in a sticker book. But that game seems too common for the bootleggers.

Also, because EVERY rare/expensive game on the nes has this issue now, I probably wouldn't buy one unless it was in person or I knew the guy.

Now collecting Smash Bros stuff!

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54:01 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: drclaw411

I wish some of these people really were making labels just for upgrades, not to sell to others so they in turn could rip somebody off. I just want a label for my Little Mermaid nes cart because my sister ripped it off when we were little because she wanted to put it in a sticker book.
New fake label - $7.30
Good condition game - $9.00
Original cart with childhood memories - priceless  

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:00:00 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: B.A.

Eh, at least this one says reproduction. That's about the best you can hope for.

That's the thing... if people go into it knowing full well what they're buying isn't a "legit" label/manual/box/etc., then I don't have an issue with it.

I do get the crap storm people have over the fakes that are attempted to be passed off as "legit".

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:37:47 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Redivivus

Repro labels are great! Its the only way I will finish my collection. Now I just need to buy out someones mega collection of SMB/DH games (wink, wink PMA) and slap on repro labels of the games I still need! I wont play the rest of those games anyway, so problem solved!

"Are you a twenty-something hipster who yearns to pontificate about retro-game collecting on Youtube, but don't have a floor-to-ceiling wall of NES games to stand in front of? Repro-label.com can help!"

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:04:23 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Faltain1

Originally posted by: B.A.

Eh, at least this one says reproduction. That's about the best you can hope for.

That's the thing... if people go into it knowing full well what they're buying isn't a "legit" label/manual/box/etc., then I don't have an issue with it.

I do get the crap storm people have over the fakes that are attempted to be passed off as "legit".

Nope, you can hope for clarity rather than hidden fine print.  For it not to be counterfeit it has to be obviously unoriginal at a glance, not upon close inspection.  If you print dollar bills as close as you can to the real thing and put  a tiny fine print on it somewhere incospicous that says reproduction, then sell it at 10 cents on the dollar to some crooks so they can launder it you are still counterfeiting even though the crooks know it's not real.

When it comes to fakes that need close inspection to differentiate from the real thing, if you are clear that it is a fake when you sell it, it just means you are selling to people for them to pass off as legit instead of directly trying to pass it off as legit yourself.

GRRR!

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:12:44 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
This guy is an asshat. He shouldn't be printing and selling the labels. End of story.

When it is made so close to the original that it is meant to deceive, it's wrong.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:27:21 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

When it is made so close to the original that it is meant to deceive, it's wrong.

Noone forced him to put the "reproduction" part on the label though... nor in his auction listings... so yeah, he isn't necessarily trying to "deceive" anyone. If he was he'd try to be pretending it's a real copy.

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed