Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The story of how I obtained NWC Gold!

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:49:23 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: langenfeld

Here's a pic of Nick and I cheesin' with our NWCs.

There's only one thing left to do here. Plug them both into NES systems, have an old fashioned 1990s style tounament, winner takes all. I'd leave out the ball peen hammer though...

Not sure the repro label idea is really kosher, but in the end it's on the web now for all to see so anyone you try to sell it to in the future will know about it.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:55:44 PM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
Without a doubt this was going to cause some controversy on the boards. There was no way around it. I thought if I described the way I went about it and what my intentions clearly were it might somehow be avoided. I knew better. The label is only on there for me. Its adhered very gently. This tape that I used peels right off flawlessly. Thats what it is designed to do. There is no increasing of decreasing the value of this cart by me making it look nicer on the shelf.

No attempt at selling this as authentic could ever be made. You would have to be a certain kind of stupid to spend 20k+ without knowing/checking the carts history. That is why I made it public immediately. The Claremont, NH copy does not have a label and that will always be recorded. On a side note, boy, these labels were really shitty to begin with. Seriously a piece of paper with an ass quality print job super glued to the front. This realization made taping on a similarly shitty piece of paper to make me happy a lot easier.

Not everything has to be a debate. Damn! I just got an NWC gold!

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:10:35 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Congrats on the acquisition man. I never knew Nick much around here - just all the resealing crap that went on before he got banned. Sounds like he's a pretty stand up guy to you at least

Regarding the label - you can obviously do what you want. I wouldn't have done it myself, but I also don't own it.

Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:22:27 PM
Milenko (0)

< Cherub >
Nice score.

Edited: 10/25/2014 at 09:27 PM by Milenko

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:30:18 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Maybe the label deal should bother me, but it really doesn't. Honestly just happy for you. Congrats!

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:14:44 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
awesome. I saw this was pulled on ebay and wondered if someone on here managed to get it. I'm glad it was you and that you finally own a NWC Championship Gold Cartridge. I'm sure you feel pretty good about it.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:21:46 PM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Damn!

Edited: 10/25/2014 at 10:26 PM by MAIL_BAG

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:43:11 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: ZeldaFreak

Originally posted by: qixmaster

Nice fake label... Now I don't care what people do with their stuff, but to me, putting a fake label on this is questionable at best... All I can say is, at least we know it's fake. To me, this fake label, completely devalues something like this. I hope you used something that won't peel the gold off when you or the person you sell it to, wants to remove it.
OK, That's a good reason, but I still stand my ground in thinking that something like this can't jump from $22k to $0 just because of a repro label
I know he said "completely," but I don't think he literally meant this is not worth anything anymore.  I think he meant it hurts more than it helps, netting a negative effect.  Of course he isn't saying it's worthless.  I don't think anyone here would argue it's worthless and turn it down for $20, for example...moving on...

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:02:46 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Remember when Nick scammed multiple people from this site and then stole directly from Dain?

Good times man.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:09:22 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Remember when Nick scammed multiple people from this site and then stole directly from Dain?

Good times man.

What, this old thing?
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:19:16 PM
tsx222 (0)

(T X) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Interesting. I am not that "hardcore" and my conservative stance on finances tells me I would have bought (car, mortgage down payment, etc.) or invested that amount of money for something with return or more worthwhile. I am not able to rationalize it enough for me to spend that amount of cash on what literally is a piece of sought after plastic. It is not worth that amount of money to me, but it is to you so congratulations. Just remember to live within your means and always have a rainy day fund. Also, kudos on the courage to shell cash like that, but I will pass and, again, congratulations on becoming the new owner of a "holy grail".

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:31:28 PM
dantendo (27)
(Judge Dredd) < Meka Chicken >
United States

Without a doubt this was going to cause some controversy on the boards. There was no way around it. I thought if I described the way I went about it and what my intentions clearly were it might somehow be avoided. I knew better. The label is only on there for me. Its adhered very gently. This tape that I used peels right off flawlessly. Thats what it is designed to do. There is no increasing of decreasing the value of this cart by me making it look nicer on the shelf.

No attempt at selling this as authentic could ever be made. You would have to be a certain kind of stupid to spend 20k+ without knowing/checking the carts history. That is why I made it public immediately. The Claremont, NH copy does not have a label and that will always be recorded. On a side note, boy, these labels were really shitty to begin with. Seriously a piece of paper with an ass quality print job super glued to the front. This realization made taping on a similarly shitty piece of paper to make me happy a lot easier.

First, CONGRATS! Awesome pickup, and one of the most stellar collections Ive ever seen. Second, consider looking into a different means of achieving the look of the logo. Even the most mild of adhesives can break down and degrade that gold paint. Consider a static cling or clear plastic shroud with the logo in the position it would normally be in. Theres alot of means of achieving the look without literally taping a new reproduction sticker to the cart. Heck, tape the logo into the plastic cart protector! That way it looks like the bomb on the shelf..

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:42:33 PM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Good times man.

How do we know he didnt scam the OP too? The two NWC carts look quite a bit different in the photo, unless its just the lighting.

I think the seller got scammed though, if he had left it on Ebay he would have likely got far more than 17k.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:54:32 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Any game past Dinosaur Peak is always surrounded by a cloud of negativity, comtroversy, and seeds of doubt. Myself included.

I don't know anything about this Nick Morgan guy, but if he's legitimately a friend of OP then I'm sure it's alright.

Also for the record (since I feel I'm gonna be quoted on this) I never intend to call this exact copy a forgery (although I did make it sound like that). In the other thread my intention was purely that ALL NWC golds whether graded by VGA, out of DreamTRs personal collection, or even direct by the hands of an NWC Gold winner should be deemed fake until proven authentic.

I still believe there should be a group dedicated to tracking all known copies of NWC grey and gold as to minimize possible forgeries.

Again, congrats man on owning the true holy grail of video game collecting. It's the most amazing piece of NES history and I'd say you should set your eyes on owning a sealed first print Super Mario Bros. Or a Red Donkey Kong arcade cabinet since those are the only things (at least in my opinion) that are more historically significant for Nintendo.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:14:26 AM
jkenned5 (131)
(Jordan Kennedy) < King Solomon >
Ontario

Good times man.

now i know how that kid can afford 2 lol, figured he was doing that or selling drugs

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:29:49 AM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland

Always the best when "respected" members deal with shitty people and do stuff like this.. Haha I'm sure once upon a time langenfeld would have villified anyone who suggested a fake label. Guess it's different when you have one in hand and are friends with a known lowlife and scammer. Congrats langenfeld on a nice pickup and then immediately discrediting yourself.

Edited: 10/26/2014 at 01:35 AM by behemos

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:34:36 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Congrats on the gold. I would have left it label-less, personally, and the bad juju with NA at-large doesn't please me, but congrats.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:38:00 AM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland

Good times man.

People have verrrrrrry short memories when they get the chance to make a nice score.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:43:08 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Congrats on the cart! Just make sure you remove the label if you decide to sell it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:53:23 AM
Nes Gangsta (90)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
He can do whatever he wants with the game, Sweet score man. I probably would do the same thing with the label if its in my own personal collection just so it looks nicer when displayed. Who gives a crap if its the real label or not if you spent over 15k its for your own enjoyment anyway.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:55:06 AM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
I read up on this Nick Morgan guy, and all I can say is, Eesh! I guess that we can add this label thing to his resume. None the less though, congratulations on obtaining such a rare piece.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:16:13 AM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
Wow. Discredit myself? This was fun. Let's just lock this up and stop the bleeding.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:44:13 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Oh No...No Sir...

This is an NWC Gold.

It will be scrutinized as long as its whereabouts are known.

You decided to intimately tie it to Nick Morgan for better or worse.

Carry on

Edited: 10/26/2014 at 04:44 AM by B.A.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:15:31 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Repro label or not, this is awesome. Congrats!

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:03:44 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
This was great to read. Thanks for sharing, and congrats!

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here