Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:18:53 PM
nintendopete (7)
< Cherub >
New York
What's up with all the hate for "new collectors" on this thread? You sound like Clint Eastwood --- GET OFF MY LAWN haha. You think all the people who have been doing it for 10-20 years or more are doing it for the love of the games? If it were about the games, no one would be trying to get a complete collection of NES games because at least half of them are unplayable garbage. Those rare ones are only about the physical object and not about the game at all. I mean if I had won an NWC cart, that would be a great story, and I'd have it framed up and put Nintendo Champion on my resume. But it's crazy to me that anyone else has more than a passing interest in owning the game. It's really rare, sure, but let's be honest: it's a shitty game. I feel the same way about Stadium Events: it's a cool little story about Nintendo buying it from Bandai and then recalling the copies. I'd pay like 10 bucks for it just for the novelty of putting it next to a copy of World Track Meet, but the idea that it would be the most celebrated part of a collection doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to be a jerk if that's really your thing, but that's my opinion about it.

It is unfortunate for collectors that that the popularity of the hobby has increased prices, but I don't think it's that bad for NES outside of some terrible-but-rare "games". The NES market isn't that pricey if you only get games actually worth playing. There are only a few expensive games worth playing. The SNES market is crazy, though. People want more than $10 for Super Mario World which sold more than 20 MILLION copies (probably not including the Mario World + All Stars carts). If common games are that expensive it just prices people out of the market. People want $70+ for Chrono Trigger, one of the best selling games for the SNES. It's why I'm not that into SNES.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:23:29 AM
Danfu22 (24)
(Danny ) < Crack Trooper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: buzzdennis

Let me get this straight. You went around ebay buyer policies by offering to buy outside of ebay and yet you're still expecting the protections afforded to those who follow the rules? I've got no sympathy for that. PLaying devil's advocate here: Joshua Browning is a pretty common name and with a growing retro collecting community, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Josh Browning of your facebook communications is different from the Joshua Browning of the ebay listing. Sure you could report this guy for mail fraud, but as of now, every bit of "evidence" you've given is pretty circumstantial and it's highly unlikely that anything will come of it. Do not vilify Joshua Browning for a mistake you made too. Even if Joshua Browning is a dirt bag, it doesn't change the fact that you went outside the system to try and get a good deal. So stop drumming up sympathy and follow the rules next time.

it is the same guy I am on the forums on facebook that he tried to peddle off his Stadium Events on, only to back out multiple times when buyers wanted to come to him to purchase it.I live in the same town as Joshua Browning and I know the guy as when he got it he tried to convince me through phone calls that he had the real deal,but when  I wanted to see it and for him to open it up to make sure it was legit,he disappeared , he blocked and unfriended me on facebook,as he was afraid I would warn others to pop it open before purchasing. He didnt want me to see it being offered out.There are a couple other members on here that know him also and they would confirm it is the same guy.As for buying outside of Ebay Clint stated that Josh ended the auction early anyway (that he was currently bidding on) and then made an offer on the items,so Clint did nothing against Ebay buyer policies,but he did use the paypal service for the buyer protection and it seemed to work in his favor as it should have.I applaud that Cint told his story and one day a story like this may save you from getting scammed by someone.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:30:36 AM
thegnome (32)
(david shivley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
What's up with all the hate for "new collectors" on this thread?

The "hate" stems from the attitude of younger collectors and what most of us older collectors see as misguided reasons for collecting. To most young collectors, the emotional connection to these hunks of plastic and silicon aren't there, they only see the dollar signs. To them, it's not about feeling, it's about braggadocio (as evidenced by the desire to immediately make a "finds" video).

To most of us "old" guys, there's an emotional connection to these things, and it's not so much about the money (though not over-spending is nice) as it is about reliving childhood dreams and memories. You may see something as a shitty game that's only valuable because it's rare but some of us remember them as a shitty game we rented or saw in an advertisement, but could never get...

When we were kids, Nintendo was everything, you talked about it at lunch time, your friends made up stories about games, and at times the characters from the games were as close as friends themselves. We made promises to ourselves to eventually play every "Nintendo game" and we're making good on those promises now.

To many of us older collectors, Mario isn't a $0.50 pack-in cartridge, he's our friend...

-------------------------
I've stopped collecting... and now everything is UP FOR GRABS!

What do I have FOR SALE today???

Edited: 03/23/2014 at 08:34 AM by thegnome

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:06:20 AM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
from my time before and after joining the site I seem to see just as many new and "old" collectors spending money to imprison there games in unplayable plastic cases, I find that more offensive to the games then the "find" videos, at lease those people might someday play there game.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:38:07 PM
CollectorQuality (121)
(James Dyer) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: thegnome

The "hate" stems from the attitude of younger collectors and what most of us older collectors see as misguided reasons for collecting. To most young collectors, the emotional connection to these hunks of plastic and silicon aren't there, they only see the dollar signs. To them, it's not about feeling, it's about braggadocio (as evidenced by the desire to immediately make a "finds" video).

To most of us "old" guys, there's an emotional connection to these things, and it's not so much about the money (though not over-spending is nice) as it is about reliving childhood dreams and memories. You may see something as a shitty game that's only valuable because it's rare but some of us remember them as a shitty game we rented or saw in an advertisement, but could never get...

When we were kids, Nintendo was everything, you talked about it at lunch time, your friends made up stories about games, and at times the characters from the games were as close as friends themselves. We made promises to ourselves to eventually play every "Nintendo game" and we're making good on those promises now.

To many of us older collectors, Mario isn't a $0.50 pack-in cartridge, he's our friend...
^ This.

The new collectors are crowding the market to increase demand with the idea that they will make money from buying and then reselling later. Because of the increase in temporary demand, this drives the prices up because the supply will always stay constant. Thus the entire community as a whole must pay higher prices for their games. This works and makes sense if your in a market for collectibles such as coins or stamps, but video games are playable and have more value than simply scarcity. Thus you see the clash of one group seeing them as games to be played for fun and another group who sees it as a collectible that will increase in value. So you basically have two groups of people, investors and gamers. Both dislike the other becuase their fortunes cause pain to the other. If the investor gets his way, the gamer will be forced to pay more, and if the gamer gets his way, the investor will lose his invesments value.

Now this is different from reselling in the sense that there are game stores online that have been in business forever and have not changed the prices for retro video games. Reselling is when you buy something or a lot of it below the market value, so that you could then sell it at market value and make a profit. This can happen in any market that someone pays for something and not have a negative output. It is simply the idea that you view it as an investment that shifts what you are doing.

You have to realize that if your investing in something it is no longer a hobby. A hobby is something you do for fun with no intention of making money from it. Now this doesn't mean that you want to loose money. The best hobbies are the ones that don't cost you any money. That would be the goal for most of NintendoAge, I believe. Most of NintendoAge does this for fun and treat it as a hobby because they love video games. They also have a ton of real life costs that make it hard to have money to spend. This is why they have the intention to make it a hobby that costs them no money at all, come on who doesn't love a free game?

So from earlier posts, no this doesn't happen to hobbies. This happens to collectibles, which although we are collectors, video games should'nt be in the collectible market. Thus they shouldn't be investments, which is what most new collectors are looking for. They have no other connection to these video games other than the dollar and cents. Someone said that eventually the bubble will pop and all the investors will leave. The dillema that is there is the fact that this then creates unfavorable conditions for the collector who makes this his hobby that doesn't cost him money. Because he was forced to pay a higher than actually worth price, when he goes to resell it after the bubble pops he will lose money. This then means that his hobby cost him money which he may or may not be able to or want to afford. This or he will be forced to sell it at the same price thus keeping the price of games at the artificially high price.

The investors are threatning to the hobbiests who just want to do this for fun. And to me I think they have ruined something that was once special. Although most investors can't see it becuase their blinded by the cash, the ones who see it as a hobby can see both the present and future damages that making this a collectible market will have. Yes fun wise, some of the expensive games should'nt be that price, but thats what a collectible market does. It focuses too much on scarcity (I think that scarcity should always play a role as their is a demand/supply dynamic, but not to the degree a collectible market would call for).

So to sum it up, the retro video game market is making a shift from a hobby market to a collectible market. This I find atrocious as it really ruins the fun for the people who have it as a hobby, not to mention it pushes a lot of people out becuase they can no longer afford it. I mean I remember the fun of going out and hunting for old games and seeing what I could find. Now everywhere I go, people are asking ridiculous prices for retro games because they think they are all rare. I think this stems from how popular ebay is and with so many people basing their prices on ebay. I mean have you seen ebay lately? Is a NES with a couple games really worth what their charging?

So yes I believe that the older members who knew what it used to be, have a right to resent new members. I am no exception, I believe I have contributed to this with being blinded by the cash. Sure some games I have bought with the pure idea of investment, and I understand if the older members look down on my decisions. We have moved the community and market in a bad way, and should start working on reversing the trends.

Sorry for the long post, this is just my opinion. If you think I'm totally wrong than to you, I'm totally wrong.

-A little side note on the "finds" videos. I believe that youtube "finds" and nintendoage "finds" are completely different. It would be like getting on stage and showing the whole audience what you found (which is somewhat motivated by your desire to brag) versus running to your small group of friends and showing them what you got (there is a level of appreciation that is felt by those who didn't even get the deal; like a good for you moment). Youtube is a world stage with a posting meant to be shown to the masses (everybody wants to get more views), while NintendoAge is a small niche group that appreciates games more than the average person.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:18:46 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida

I'll agree to all that except the, "Mario isn't a $0.50 pack-in cartridge, he's our friend..." lol wat.

I'm assuming you said that from playing the game when you were a kid. Looking back, my childhood console was the PS1 with Mega Man X5 being my first real games on it. While Mega Man X5 was one of the first and greatest games I've played to the point where the ending me cry. I still just see it as game, a great game but by no means as a 'friend' or see any game as more than a game.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:02:57 PM
nintendopete (7)
< Cherub >
New York
Thanks for the replies, thegnome, damcanadian, CollectorQuality, and Thunderblaze16. I can appreciate the hobby point of view since that is my own point of view. I'm buying to enjoy games I have some nostalgia for or never had the chance to play. But you better believe that if I've never heard of a game, I'm not going to buy it without checking out a youtube video to see if it's decent because it is almost certainly crap. It was probably crap even back in the 80s/90s. While I have lots of fond memories of my NES, I also have lots of memories of playing terrible games on the NES. Nearly any game you genuinely have nostalgia for you can purchase at a reasonable price, and most playable games are cheap.

Extreme scarcity (and some publicity/marketing from the resellers) is what drives up the price/demand of these expensive games. But scarcity of a game almost by definition means the game isn't good: if a game is good, people (in the 80s and 90s) would actually want it, and so they would produce more of it. There are two times when this isn't true: at the beginning of a console's life cycle and at the end. Games like the original Mega Man and Battletoads/Double Dragon which came out at the beginning and end of the NES are going to be harder to find even though they were both pretty awesome. They are both expensive (around $40 or so), but they're on the high end for NES games. My sense is that if you exclude a dozen or so high-sticker-price playable games, the average price of a game in the collection of good NES games would be in the $8-$12 range. I don't think this prices people out of the NES market, for the most part. If you start throwing in titles like Fire 'N' Ice, Duck Tales 2, and Rescue Rangers 2 (I don't own any), this will obviously drive the price of your collection up quite a bit. But those titles are the exception, not the rule. I totally agree that it would be a lot nicer if there weren't resellers driving up the price of games. But there are also more hobbyists out there as the generation that was in elementary school with NES hits 30 and has increased disposable income. It's not just resellers but also a lot of nostalgia buyers, too (filthy casuals? haha). I agree ebay prices are too high but not prohibitively high. Then people check ebay before they sell at a flea market, craisglist, etc., and they think that's what their stuff is worth. I totally get that. Of course, people also buy it, so it's tough to fault them. But I still think there are plenty of reasonable deals out there to be found.

For a game like Stadium Events, anyone who is buying it is not buying it to play it. They're buying it to either encase it in a plastic tomb or to resell it. The same with anyone who buys a sealed game (I mean seriously what's the point?!). I can't say I've ever watched a "finds" video but it may just be a difference in how the "older" crowd views youtube compared to the "younger" crowd. If you just dropped 5 grand on a game, I would hope you're excited enough to want to film it. I do want to say that the front page of NA has included links to articles about the auction for an NWC cart and to an auction for a yellow Zelda test cart, which itself drives up the price of those auctions.

Edited: 03/23/2014 at 03:36 PM by nintendopete

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:52:51 PM
thegnome (32)
Florida
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

I'll agree to all that except the, "Mario isn't a $0.50 pack-in cartridge, he's our friend..." lol wat.

I'm assuming you said that from playing the game when you were a kid. Looking back, my childhood console was the PS1 with Mega Man X5 being my first real games on it. While Mega Man X5 was one of the first and greatest games I've played to the point where the ending me cry. I still just see it as game, a great game but by no means as a 'friend' or see any game as more than a game.

It's called hyperbole.

I was merely stating that when you grow up playing these games, they stop being "just games" and become something else.  I've been doing this long enough that even turds like Cheetahmen II have fond memories attached (from before it was expensive).

A good median example is Pokemon.  I don't give two shits about anything Pokemon related as I was too busy chasing skirts when it released to pay it attention, but kids in their twenties love it, so if I was to gobble up rare pokemon items (are there rare pokemon items? I dunno) motivated by greed, these fans would be upset with me.  It's human nature.

I don't hate young kids getting into the hobby, and it's not up to me to tell anyone what they can/can't spend their money on, but yeah it does make me a little sad knowing that my childhood dream of "owning every game" grows a little less achievable every day because someone wants to say "look at what I got" and then pawn it off on someone else later for a higher price.  Doesn't stop me from trying though... and I already have a goodly amount of the expensive stuff anyway.

However, we have derailed this thread long enough.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:03:52 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: CollectorQuality

^ This.

The new collectors are crowding the market to increase demand with the idea that they will make money from buying and then reselling later. Because of the increase in temporary demand, this drives the prices up because the supply will always stay constant. Thus the entire community as a whole must pay higher prices for their games. This works and makes sense if your in a market for collectibles such as coins or stamps, but video games are playable and have more value than simply scarcity. Thus you see the clash of one group seeing them as games to be played for fun and another group who sees it as a collectible that will increase in value. So you basically have two groups of people, investors and gamers. Both dislike the other becuase their fortunes cause pain to the other. If the investor gets his way, the gamer will be forced to pay more, and if the gamer gets his way, the investor will lose his invesments value.

Now this is different from reselling in the sense that there are game stores online that have been in business forever and have not changed the prices for retro video games. Reselling is when you buy something or a lot of it below the market value, so that you could then sell it at market value and make a profit. This can happen in any market that someone pays for something and not have a negative output. It is simply the idea that you view it as an investment that shifts what you are doing.

You have to realize that if your investing in something it is no longer a hobby. A hobby is something you do for fun with no intention of making money from it. Now this doesn't mean that you want to loose money. The best hobbies are the ones that don't cost you any money. That would be the goal for most of NintendoAge, I believe. Most of NintendoAge does this for fun and treat it as a hobby because they love video games. They also have a ton of real life costs that make it hard to have money to spend. This is why they have the intention to make it a hobby that costs them no money at all, come on who doesn't love a free game?

So from earlier posts, no this doesn't happen to hobbies. This happens to collectibles, which although we are collectors, video games should'nt be in the collectible market. Thus they shouldn't be investments, which is what most new collectors are looking for. They have no other connection to these video games other than the dollar and cents. Someone said that eventually the bubble will pop and all the investors will leave. The dillema that is there is the fact that this then creates unfavorable conditions for the collector who makes this his hobby that doesn't cost him money. Because he was forced to pay a higher than actually worth price, when he goes to resell it after the bubble pops he will lose money. This then means that his hobby cost him money which he may or may not be able to or want to afford. This or he will be forced to sell it at the same price thus keeping the price of games at the artificially high price.

The investors are threatning to the hobbiests who just want to do this for fun. And to me I think they have ruined something that was once special. Although most investors can't see it becuase their blinded by the cash, the ones who see it as a hobby can see both the present and future damages that making this a collectible market will have. Yes fun wise, some of the expensive games should'nt be that price, but thats what a collectible market does. It focuses too much on scarcity (I think that scarcity should always play a role as their is a demand/supply dynamic, but not to the degree a collectible market would call for).

So to sum it up, the retro video game market is making a shift from a hobby market to a collectible market. This I find atrocious as it really ruins the fun for the people who have it as a hobby, not to mention it pushes a lot of people out becuase they can no longer afford it. I mean I remember the fun of going out and hunting for old games and seeing what I could find. Now everywhere I go, people are asking ridiculous prices for retro games because they think they are all rare. I think this stems from how popular ebay is and with so many people basing their prices on ebay. I mean have you seen ebay lately? Is a NES with a couple games really worth what their charging?

So yes I believe that the older members who knew what it used to be, have a right to resent new members. I am no exception, I believe I have contributed to this with being blinded by the cash. Sure some games I have bought with the pure idea of investment, and I understand if the older members look down on my decisions. We have moved the community and market in a bad way, and should start working on reversing the trends.

Sorry for the long post, this is just my opinion. If you think I'm totally wrong than to you, I'm totally wrong.

-A little side note on the "finds" videos. I believe that youtube "finds" and nintendoage "finds" are completely different. It would be like getting on stage and showing the whole audience what you found (which is somewhat motivated by your desire to brag) versus running to your small group of friends and showing them what you got (there is a level of appreciation that is felt by those who didn't even get the deal; like a good for you moment). Youtube is a world stage with a posting meant to be shown to the masses (everybody wants to get more views), while NintendoAge is a small niche group that appreciates games more than the average person.

You totally lost me man. Why "shouldn't" video games be collectible?

it seems that you think they shouldn't be because some people like to play them?  SE has absolutely zero play value, and if you want to "play" it you always have WCTM.

To me they are one of the most collectible things their can be:  Fun to play, not over-produced.

Comic books are collectible, but people read those.

Cars are highly collectible (vintage ones especially), but people drive them

Guns are highly collectible (vintage ones), but people still shoot those.

Sure there are other collectibles you can't do much with: Stamps, coins, baseball cards etc.  But plenty of others that people also enjoy as a "Hobby" to play with.

To me it totally makes sense that vintage Video games have become collectible.  New games have lost their charm to me, I don't want a virtual reality experience, I want a fun little VG platformer to play, that challenges my dexterity.

It's not all about cash, but the fact that some of these games are highly sought after, just pleases me more, because I do enjoy playing them also.

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:07:04 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
I also have a hard time believing there are totally "pure" investors out there in the VG market.

Everyone enjoys playing games, even if it's a really tiny amount. They wouldn't be in the hobby at all otherwise.

I think what we have seen though, is some collectors branch all the consoles, seeking out just the rarest games, even if they didn't grow up playing them. Which will naturally drive prices up.

That's just natural, and makes sense though.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:41:36 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
He lost me on the why they shouldn't be collectible thing too, anything is collectible, but it's the other factors behind it.

I think he's on the nose with a lot of it in that thread as far as camps go and the rest. Also I wouldn't classify this place as a gamer site, it's clearly leaning towards collector end which you're no fan of. A more gamer than collector friendly site would have posts here that are currently considered taboo or downright leading to someone being banned. See how far you can get asking for a bootleg reproduction of a $100+ NES game, or a like for like restoration label for your jacked up on, or arguing against the merits of game grading and see what happens.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:15:49 PM
CollectorQuality (121)
(James Dyer) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: JD

Originally posted by: CollectorQuality

^ This.

You totally lost me man. Why "shouldn't" video games be collectible?

it seems that you think they shouldn't be because some people like to play them?  SE has absolutely zero play value, and if you want to "play" it you always have WCTM.

To me they are one of the most collectible things their can be:  Fun to play, not over-produced.

Comic books are collectible, but people read those.

Cars are highly collectible (vintage ones especially), but people drive them

Guns are highly collectible (vintage ones), but people still shoot those.

Sure there are other collectibles you can't do much with: Stamps, coins, baseball cards etc.  But plenty of others that people also enjoy as a "Hobby" to play with.

To me it totally makes sense that vintage Video games have become collectible.  New games have lost their charm to me, I don't want a virtual reality experience, I want a fun little VG platformer to play, that challenges my dexterity.

It's not all about cash, but the fact that some of these games are highly sought after, just pleases me more, because I do enjoy playing them also.
I'm not saying video games aren't collectibles, more that this should be more of hobby. I understand eveything can be a collectible, but if we were dealing with the entire community as treating them as strictly collectibles it would be a completely different enviroment. I guess I couldn't find the right word to describe collectibles, as I don't view a collector as someone with collectibles. I guess to better explain it, a collector collects because he finds it fun to try and get all of something he enjoys such as all the NES games. I view a collectibles market as having the sole interest of acquiring more money. As for everything else, I don't mean them as absolutes, just extremely dumbed down to get my point across. I spoke in black and white even though I know their are grey areas, but it would take me forever to explain it if I included the grey.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:28:52 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
PLEASE try to reframe from quoting super large posts, there's no need to scroll down so much.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:33:18 PM
Sp0rtz (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: DarkTone

Originally posted by: Sp0rtz

To be honest I was interested in this auction as well and I emailed the seller southtownhero82. I asked if he could take me pictures of the board and send them to me. The response I got was "why do people keep asking me this, I just want these games gone". That was enough of a red flag for me. No one selling games or other wise would ever respond like that.
That reply killed it! Can't believe someone said that.

That's it.

Always looking for "minty" loose nes games.  If you have some PM me!
***I have a USA Shipping Address as well***

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:07:41 PM
thegnome (32)
Florida
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

PLEASE try to reframe from quoting super large posts, there's no need to scroll down so much.

I believe you're looking for "refrain" there buddy... and I concur.  Especially since I get a notification every time someone quotes this ginormous block of text. :-(

As for people collecting games, I'm neither for, nor against it.  Anything manufactured in finite numbers will be collected by someone, it's unavoidable.  I just don't like how the hobby seems to have a taken a turn toward being more about "look what I got" instead of being about a love for the games (yes, even the "shitty" ones).  As the community has grown, it has become more fashionable to seek out a small handful of games for the notoriety of owning them due to their value, so the cost of these games increases because they're all the new hobbiest care about, but in the end... the people who are in it for glory will just turn around and sell in time and eventually, the fad will end and things will normalize.

People who purely want to play these games are perfectly capable via hardware like the PowerPak or emulation, so I'm not concerned about availability of playable games.  I just worry about the effects that greed and notoriety have on the hobby [such as the increase in fakes and "reproductions" being passed off as real that we're seeing] and the amount of pain it causes all collectors, new and old.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:24:16 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
CollectorQuality,

People also generally collect for fun and not for money.

If you are in it for the money, you are probably a re-seller (and might collect on the side for fun), but collecting by itself, is a drain of money.

Sorry, but lets get back on topic. This will be my last off topic reply, on why collecting games is good or bad.

It's neither really, just a hobby and fun for some people.

Let's not make this a thread debating the merits of collecting, that's absurd, (and off topic.)

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:39:37 AM
MrBeefy (5)
(Luke Morris) < Little Mac >
Missouri

People who purely want to play these games are perfectly capable via hardware like the PowerPak or emulation, so I'm not concerned about availability of playable games.  I just worry about the effects that greed and notoriety have on the hobby [such as the increase in fakes and "reproductions" being passed off as real that we're seeing] and the amount of pain it causes all collectors, new and old.

See I don't want to get a PowerPak because I feel it will be the same thing that happened when I got a flash cart for my NDS. I played less, tried more games, finished fewer games, and quit buying. I hate that there is notoriety because I'd rather have a reproduction of Castelvania Dracula X than a cart that costs me an arm and a leg. I like to collect but I have yet to sell any of the games I gotten back to when NES was pumping out carts still. I just hate that I know I won't be able to get a repo cart of that because people assume the worst for those hard to get games. :-/

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10:36 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
That's why I got rid of a powerpak. I barely used it because I'd get this bad case of NES ADHD going on. I could never decide what to use so I rarely did use it, and then when I did, I couldn't play for long before thinking about other things on there or 'real games' in my collection. It caused a back up of stuff and just mental pestering that bothered the hell out of me so I passed it onto another NA member. There's just no reward in playing with a copy on a piracy device and that has been a consistent thing with me since the 90s as I've gone through a few handheld flash carts too from the old BUNG 64M for GB/SGB, to one for GBC, a couple for GBA and then the powerpak and all ended in the same result. If you got a real game, perhaps with monetary stake in it too, there's just more motivation.

McBeefy I get that feeling about Dracula X, not on that one I've kept my retail copy from the 90s, but I'd love to have Little Samson and I'm not bat shit nuts enough to pop $500 on a game, and I'd even more love to have my last lost SNES game I care about back, but $300...hell no for Aerofighters.  I'd pay up a good $50 to have a 'copy' of those using new parts that looks spot on right from the outside but it won't happen and even asking for that on here would get ya busted, offer it up and it's a ban as NA is a collector site.

Edited: 03/24/2014 at 11:12 AM by Tanooki

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:58:27 AM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Tanooki

That's why I got rid of a powerpak. I barely used it because I'd get this bad case of NES ADHD going on. I could never decide what to use so I rarely did use it, and then when I did, I couldn't play for long before thinking about other things on there or 'real games' in my collection. It caused a back up of stuff and just mental pestering that bothered the hell out of me so I passed it onto another NA member. There's just no reward in playing with a copy on a piracy device and that has been a consistent thing with me since the 90s as I've gone through a few handheld flash carts too from the old BUNG 64M for GB/SGB, to one for GBC, a couple for GBA and then the powerpak and all ended in the same result. If you got a real game, perhaps with monetary stake in it too, there's just more motivation.

McBeefy I get that feeling about Dracula X, not on that one I've kept my retail copy from the 90s, but I'd love to have Little Samson and I'm not bat shit nuts enough to pop $500 on a game, and I'd even more love to have my last lost SNES game I care about back, but $300...hell no for Aerofighters.  I'd pay up a good $50 to have a 'copy' of those using new parts that looks spot on right from the outside but it won't happen and even asking for that on here would get ya busted, offer it up and it's a ban as NA is a collector site.
Have you thought about getting the Famicom/Super Famicom versions for these?  So much cheaper and basically the same exact game.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:10:47 AM
JJGamer (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
It was so obvious from the get-go that it was a sham. If even 1 single person inquired about the game, he/she would've immediately looked up the prices/the history of the game, and took down the listing. no one is that ignorant to have multiple people inquire about and be like "derrr why does everyone keep asking about this I just want it gone!"

funny/entertaining story though

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:32:11 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Seriously, and with all due respect, I personally think that all this is just a big pile of contradicting illusions. Powerpak piracy isn't 'rewarding' because when there's 'virtually' no money invested it isn't worth it, but getting a $50 pirate of little samson would be satisfying?

If it's all about video games, plastic cart, label, circuit board, manual and cardboxes shouldn't matter. I always used emulation since day 1 I found about it and never felt that it wasn't rewarding in any sense 'gaming wise'. With the powerpak, you're playing with the original hardware, so there's really no room for non-satisfaction besides illusionnary ideas that cover up other motives.

Edited: 03/25/2014 at 02:51 AM by guillavoie

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:26:52 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Seriously, and with all due respect, I personally think that all this is just a big pile of contradicting illusions. Powerpak piracy isn't 'rewarding' because when there's 'virtually' no money invested it isn't worth it, but getting a $50 pirate of little samson would be satisfying?

If it's all about video games, plastic cart, label, circuit board, manual and cardboxes shouldn't matter. I always used emulation since day 1 I found about it and never felt that it wasn't rewarding in any sense 'gaming wise'. With the powerpak, you're playing with the original hardware, so there's really no room for non-satisfaction besides illusionnary ideas that cover up other motives.
People in places like Russia and Poland actually PREFER the bootleg Famicom carts compared to the original releases, from what I've seen, and are willing to pay decent money for those things too.  

I missed around with emulation a bit in the NESticle days, but never could get into it much, especially with a working NES upstairs.  There is more to the craze than just the games, imo;  for me, part of it is the feeling of nostalgia.  If you cut out the nostalgia (i.e. playing on an emulator, or loading a bunch of roms on the power pack), part of the equation is taken out, and the feeling loses something imo.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:39:30 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: tracker465

People in places like Russia and Poland actually PREFER the bootleg Famicom carts compared to the original releases, from what I've seen, and are willing to pay decent money for those things too.  

I missed around with emulation a bit in the NESticle days, but never could get into it much, especially with a working NES upstairs.  There is more to the craze than just the games, imo;  for me, part of it is the feeling of nostalgia.  If you cut out the nostalgia (i.e. playing on an emulator, or loading a bunch of roms on the power pack), part of the equation is taken out, and the feeling loses something imo.

Nostalgia is one very complex emotion that I would never deny the awesomeness, but we got to be realistic at where nostalgia really steps in. Who had a full NES set when they were young? If you want to play the games, you have the solution to play them through reasonable means that should be 100% satisfying, if it is about the games. If it is not about the games, just say it (just like you clearly said it), don't deny the most obvious solution.

On a side note, we played Paperboy last week for the contest, and I personally have very fond memories of playing the game when I was young. I loaded the game on my powerpak, closed all lights, and played. While I was playing, I had very enjoyable nostalgic sensations and memories, and at no moment the idea I loaded it on a powerpak disturbed me. Nostalgia can be all about the game also.

Edit: I agree with your first paragraph. I'm one that like pirate stuff in some ways. The point I was making is more about being unsatisfied playing on powerpak vs being satisfied playing on a freshly repro cart. Again, if it is about the game, it makes no sense. If it is about something else, please, name it.

Edited: 03/25/2014 at 03:45 AM by guillavoie

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:48:38 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

Nostalgia is one very complex emotion that I would never deny the awesomeness, but we got to be realistic at where nostalgia really steps in. Who had a full NES set when they were young? If you want to play the games, you have the solution to play them through reasonable means that should be 100% satisfying, if it is about the games. If it is not about the games, just say it (just like you clearly said it), don't deny the most obvious solution.

On a side note, we played Paperboy last week for the contest, and I personally have very fond memories of playing the game when I was young. I loaded the game on my powerpak, closed all lights, and played. While I was playing, I had very enjoyable nostalgic sensations and memories, and at no moment the idea I loaded it on a powerpak disturbed me. Nostalgia can be all about the game also.

Edit: I agree with your first paragraph. I'm one that like pirate stuff in some ways. The point I was making is more about being unsatisfied playing on powerpak vs being satisfied playing on a freshly repro cart. Again, if it is about the game, it makes no sense. If it is about something else, please, name it.
It can be just about the game, if it was a game that you had as a kid.  I can accept that part of your argument.

But on the other side of the coin, many of us also have nostalgic moments of purchasing new NES games, sealed, taking them home, paging through the manual, etc.  While as kids we didn't have fullsets, we did get games here and there.  In a general statement, we bought / rented games, and then threw them into our toaster NES machines - we didn't select roms from a menu and load them up on a powerpack.  The second choice lacks nostalgic feelings or a sense of familiarity.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:56:55 AM
PolarBear (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(John Williams) < Meka Chicken >
United States

It can be just about the game, if it was a game that you had as a kid.  I can accept that part of your argument.

But on the other side of the coin, many of us also have nostalgic moments of purchasing new NES games, sealed, taking them home, paging through the manual, etc.  While as kids we didn't have fullsets, we did get games here and there.  In a general statement, we bought / rented games, and then threw them into our toaster NES machines - we didn't select roms from a menu and load them up on a powerpack.  The second choice lacks nostalgic feelings or a sense of familiarity.

Flash carts in general annoy me.  And that's not coming from a collector standpoint.  I'm strictly a gamer.   I only have 30 snes games, but I still prefer them all to be the original.