Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS and PowerPak Game Genie Question AVS's built-in GG recognizing some, not all, ROMs

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:54:44 AM
I_Am_Error (1)
(Andy Holland) < Cherub >
United States
Hi!  I recently purchased the wonderful AVS from the good folks at retrousb and I love it!  My question concerns its built-in Game Genie functionality.
I just upgraded my AVS firmware to 1.10.  I've been loading games from my PowerPak so I can just leave one cart in the unit.  I noticed today that if I load a rom, start the game then do a hardware reset, I can choose matching Game Genie codes through the AVS's cheat system.  It recognizes the rom I'd loaded as what's in the machine.  But I also noticed it fails to recognize some pretty popular titles.  The Legend of Zelda, for example, brings up no cheat codes at all, wheras Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - The Arcade Game IS recognized and I even altered the name of the file.  I was curious if other PowerPak/AVS owners are experiencing anything similar and what you did to fix the problem.  It could easily be bad headers on some of my files.  Thanks so much!

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:20:18 AM
I_Am_Error (1)
(Andy Holland) < Cherub >
United States
Hey! Solved my own issue, it's totally a rom dump thing.
If anyone out there has similar issues, try Rev A of the title in question, worked like a charm on Zelda! Now the AVS' internal GG app recognizes it! Thanks  

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:59:40 AM
MathUser2929 (0)
(D L) < Eggplant Wizard >
South Dakota
Error. Such a good name for a zelda character. He shoulda been in more games. Or at least his descendants.

-------------------------

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:53:03 AM
kbob25 (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: I_Am_Error

If anyone out there has similar issues, try Rev A of the title in question, worked like a charm on Zelda! Now the AVS' internal GG app recognizes it! Thanks  

I am getting the same issues. I have an Everdrive. Game Genie works for some games, but does not work for other (some very popular). You said try 'Rev A'. I am new to the Everdrive. What is 'Rev A'? Thanks.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:11:19 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: kbob25

Originally posted by: I_Am_Error

I am getting the same issues. I have an Everdrive. Game Genie works for some games, but does not work for other (some very popular). You said try 'Rev A'. I am new to the Everdrive. What is 'Rev A'? Thanks.

Some games have multiple revisions. Some revisions are not recognized by the AVS cheat code database.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:03:20 PM
kbob25 (0)
< Cherub >

Some games have multiple revisions. Some revisions are not recognized by the AVS cheat code database.

Thanks! Is there a folder that will contain the original version of the game?