Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

XMAS 2010 cart ideas

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:08:02 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Time to start thinking about ideas for the game on the XMAS cart.  Anyone who gives me what I think is great idea (even if it isn't used) will get a free cart.  There are some requirements:

Must be simple, both to program and to play.  Scrolling is fine, split screen scrolling likely isn't.

Must be at least simultaneous 2 player, preferably 4 player.

No zapper, power glove, ROB, etc required.  Must be able to play with normal controller.

Must be a complete game idea, not just "shoot some stuff".

Must be XMAS related theme!

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:08 PM by bunnyboy

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:09:11 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I say we do a Sled racing game built sort of like Super Off Road. No Splitscreen...

Or even like a snow mobile race.  Santa has crashed  and you have to pick up as many of his dropped presents as  possible.  The more you pick up, the faster your sled goes, or the better you turn, kinda like a combo of super off road and R.C. Pro Am, but with a Christmas Snowmobile theme!

Presents can fall on the track from santa's crashing sleigh

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:15 PM by burdger

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:11:00 PM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
I say Checkers, where the checker colors are red and green. Make it a 1 or 2 person game. If possible, make it so you can unlock new checker colors and boards.

The second choice could be  a 4 player motor bike racing game like Excite Bike where the players have to dodge each other and road hazards.

-------------------------
Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:15 PM by MasonSushi

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:13:32 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
Launching penguins from a launch pad, with an arc, that has to make it onto a target zone. (Think super monkey ball).

orrr curling? haha

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:13:34 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
how about an Egg nog tapper type game....easy one screen, two player high score comp...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:15 PM by Benihana

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:14:35 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
NA Beee..errr...soda pong!

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:17:11 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
Or, what about santa is flying across the screen,presents are dropping, and you have to save the presents? Maybe something else drops...and you cant touch those?... lol

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:25:27 PM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
How about a paperboy type game with 2 players in a sled flying over houses. Each played would have different color gifts to deliver to corresponding chimneys. You could also have obstacles like birds and flames coming out of chimneys and burning gifts. Just a thought.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:27:34 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
How about a Dpad Hero type game (or rather a rhythm based game) where you play xmas songs? Player 1 could do guitar and player 2 could do drums with the A and B buttons.It would be a great party game. Even the wives could get into this one!

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:31 PM by Redivivus

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:30:22 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Originally posted by: RetroNESNerd

How about a paperboy type game with 2 players in a sled flying over houses. Each played would have different color gifts to deliver to corresponding chimneys. You could also have obstacles like birds and flames coming out of chimneys and burning gifts. Just a thought.

Thats a sweet idea!

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:44:18 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Or maybe a River Raid style game, but with Santa in his sleigh shooting down a bunch of jews trying to hijack your sleigh to stop christmas. They have stolen your stockpile of Christmas presents and you have to get them back.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:45:33 PM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
whack-a-mole! Holiday themed with points. You can compete for high score. Time limit maybe? Could also have up to 4 mallets.

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 04:48 PM by themotherbrain

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:55:26 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: themotherbrain

whack-a-mole! Holiday themed with points. You can compete for high score. Time limit maybe? Could also have up to 4 mallets.

Whack a PENGUIN!!!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:12:56 PM
Manifesto (42)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Ramon Zamora) < Meka Chicken >
California
Penguin in a santa suit platformer. Santa was kidnapped by the government so christmas would be canceled. Enemies could be dudes in suits.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:15:39 PM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Lets think of the South Park Episode where Santa is shot down over Iraq and Jesus goes to get him back. Side scrolling shooter, could possibly as Santa going to get the Mrs. back from a baddie. Ala contra style but more simplistic so it's easier to code.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:17:35 PM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
A completely random idea that would be an offshot of ars2pd idea would be something along the lines of the old dos program Gorillas. In that you had 2 gorillas one on each side of the screen each controlled by a different player. You were on the top of buildings with buildings inbetween. You had to put in your azimuth angle and velocity to get the banana to hit the other gorilla. There was also wind to throw you off. Really cool cause you could do like laser shots with no angle, or slow arcing or what not, based off of obstacles and wind.

Edit, each player took a turn until somebody was hit.  The banna could destroy part of the building, if he was like directly behind one, you could just hit the corner take the corner out, then do the same shot next time and hit him.

Edited: 08/09/2010 at 05:18 PM by smeagolsama

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:28:33 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: burdger

I say we do a Sled racing game built sort of like Super Off Road. No Splitscreen...

Or even like a snow mobile race.  Santa has crashed  and you have to pick up as many of his dropped presents as  possible.  The more you pick up, the faster your sled goes, or the better you turn, kinda like a combo of super off road and R.C. Pro Am, but with a Christmas Snowmobile theme!

Presents can fall on the track from santa's crashing sleigh

Something similar to this, but maybe more of a snowmobile race in the vein of RC Pro-Am II?  I think that one does 4 player...

You could have the power up letters spell "Nintendo Age" and the powerups turned into Christmas-type things.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:02:40 PM
TheNEScollector (0)
(Brian Wagner) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
you could put in a ski jumping game where you will tap the B button to build up power and then press the A button at the right time to jump. The faster you tap the B button and the closer you are to the edge of the ramp and press A (with out falling off the end of ramp) you will fly further. you could use the four-score to do 4 player contests.

Check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNEScollector You'll love it!

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:07:40 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
i think itd be fun to have a game where you fly through rings (in a sleigh). As you progress it gets harder and faster with diff levels and scenarios

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:09:05 PM
KidOrrorin (25)
(Frankie Wenzel) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec

I have no idea what would be easy or hard to program but here's a game I'd like to play!

How about a game that takes place in a town full of 'grinches' where Santa enlists kids (up to 4 players) to spread Christmas cheer. Throughout the game, players work together to assemble snowmen, put up Christmas lights, cut down trees and place them in homes, all the while evading the antagonist of the game, the snowplow man (or whatever fitting nemesis you'd prefer) . After completing all the levels there's the final showdown with the plow man, where he has Santa tied to the front of his plow heading downhill, you and your friends sled ahead, creating obstacles to slow down the plow and save Santa. If accomplished the plow slows down to a halt in the center of the town where everyone who you brought Christmas spirit to will be waiting. The Christmas spirit destroys the snowplow and urrbody gets nogged except plowman.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:19:52 PM
TheNEScollector (0)
Iowa
I have another idea:

All of santa's rein deer are loose at the north pole. you're job is to controle santa and go after all the deer or christmas will be ruined! All those deer are just a little slower then santa, but watch out the deer can jump over fences, christmas trees and snow men that santa must run around. After you catch all 8 deer. you still need to catch rudolph, he is faster then all the other deer and shows no mercy!

Check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNEScollector You'll love it!

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:26:52 PM
TheNEScollector (0)
Iowa
you are an elf up at the north pole and you need to make toys for all the kids by working a big toy making machine.  you need to tap the right combo of buttons to make the right toys. You can have four players going head-to-head to see who can make the most toys.  If you hit a wrong button, you most start that one toy over again.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:55:46 PM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas

How about a game where you avoid falling icecicles. Each player controls a person who stands under a row of forming icecicles. The row can be about 10-15 icecicles long and fall after forming completely. Players can see the icecicles form to have an idea of which one will fall next and stand under a spot where an icecicle just dropped. The icecicles can start out forming slowly at first and speed up as the game progresses. Once you get hit by an icecicle 3 times, you are eliminated.  The last player left wins! Just an idea!

Added 9-21-10: You could have a timer under each player that stops when that person loses.  If there are only one or two players then the main objective would be to beat your time.  Since the rate of speed in which the icicles drop gradually increases... a player's time will depend on their skill.  Experienced players should be able to last longer since they will be able to tell quicker which developing pieces will fall before others and develop muscle memory (or finger memory) to avoid them.   You could even have a setting of speed that players can choose.  A solo player may last 30 minutes on level 1 but only 2 or 3 minutes on level 5.  In a multiplayer game, players at different skill levels can have the choice of adjusting this setting to even the handicap (like in Dr. Mario).

Edited: 09/21/2010 at 10:20 AM by GameboyRicky

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:23:45 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Jack Frost sneaks around dressed like santa and sneaks into kids rooms and freezes them.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:26:12 PM
TheNEScollector (0)
Iowa
Santa needs to get to the other side on the north pole so he can get to his sleigh. But there are lots of grinches and angry, raving athiests on the way that want santa dead.  You need to sneek by all the christmas killers by running when they have there back turned, hide in shrubs/christmas trees to safely get to your sleigh! On the way you can collect power ups to run faster and turn invisable to the killers. get three friends to play with you that can play as elfs to join on the adventure.  after you beat the game once, there could be a time limit to make it even harder!