NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Carolina Collection

Jun 07 at 8:48:27 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I like that Jeff's favorite part of the "Carolina Collection" is an empty shipping box for a PAL game.
Oh, its a PAL case.   Makes more sense now.   I missed that.

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jun 07 at 8:48:44 AM
JasonLives (2)
(Jason Crosby) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: MasonSushi

Comics and Games are two different mediums with two different collecting communities (yes there are some that do both). I understand that there is an interest in trying to "convert, modernize, streamline" both into one cohesive hobby where collectors bounce between the two mediums. I think the major comic investors and sellers see that much of comic interest is fading and they want a growing new medium to dump their money into. Obviously the high end, graded, or first appearance comics will always hold value, the common junk ends up in the 5 for a $1 bin; where as common (non sports) games can hold a value of a few bucks.

Its just an interesting direction the hobby has taken. Having investors with large sums of money removing games with low print runs from circulation inflates the prices and changes how to approach the hobby of collecting. It reminds me of Magic the Gathering and the investing direction its taken the last 7 or so years. I don't hate those that do it (its capitalism, and everybody deserves the right to make money without being shamed for it), but I just fear that if these large investors (who many don't know anything about the games they are investing in) aggressively invest it has a chance to damage the hobby.

Also I have the "Palmetto Collection". I just want to lock in a collection name early that I like.  
There are plenty of major comic collectors that have no interest in games at all.  I'd say for the majority it hasn't even hit their "spidey senses".  This comic invasion we are talking about is only a very tiny percentage of the comic hobby.   A lot of the "Big Fish" comic collectors haven't even sniffed this and probably never will.   The video game hobby has been underexposed and new people are being exposed and the nostalgia button is being hit for them.   The assumption that comic collectors are jumping ship to games because comic interest is fading is crazy talk.  Also, the point about common drek being worth nothing and selling for 5 for a buck, that's the way it's always been.  It's always been about the keys.  Regarding commons, comics have a much lower retail price then games and come out weekly by the droves.  Why on earth would a $1.25 cover price random modern comic from the 90s be worth any more than that?  Also, this idea that comic collectors are cold, calculated investors is also overblown.  Most comic collectors love the comics and are buying what they have an attachment to.  Even most collectors that do "invest" in comics are buying comics (as opposed to gold, stocks, etc) because they have an attachment to them.  So I don't see this being any different with the games.  The select comic collectors that do decide to cross over into video game collecting are doing it because they have a sweet spot for them and it resonates with them.  I don't think its all about spreadsheets and account balances.  

ComicLink & CertifiedLink Auctions - Send me a DM if you are interested in consigning to our next auction, coming up in October.  Taking consignments now. 
http://www.comiclink.com

Now Playing: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)

Jun 07 at 8:51:31 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: MasonSushi

Its just an interesting direction the hobby has taken. Having investors with large sums of money removing games with low print runs from circulation inflates the prices and changes how to approach the hobby of collecting. It reminds me of Magic the Gathering and the investing direction its taken the last 7 or so years. I don't hate those that do it (its capitalism, and everybody deserves the right to make money without being shamed for it), but I just fear that if these large investors (who many don't know anything about the games they are investing in) aggressively invest it has a chance to damage the hobby.

The Mtg comparison isn't a bad one.   Sealed product has gone up a lot there too.   For example sealed box of legends looks to be about 15-17k right now, if there were 5k worth of cards inside you would have done well and picked a really good box.    All of the vintage sealed packs cost far more than you could expect the cards inside to be worth.

That being said, its not just 'this hobby' operating in the way you describe, its really every hobby.    Games haven't even really been on the radar until now so they've sidestepped it, but the bigger it gets the more money will chase the prime examples.    

At the end of the day nothing stands still and every hobby has to either grow or wither away.    Better to grow, even if that has a few negatives, than wither away.

Really the biggest surprise is that its taken this long, but I suppose there are reasons for that.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 06/07/2019 at 08:56 AM by Bronty

Jun 07 at 8:56:35 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Bronty

I like that Jeff's favorite part of the "Carolina Collection" is an empty shipping box for a PAL game.
Oh, its a PAL case.   Makes more sense now.   I missed that.

Apparently, so did Jeff.

Jun 07 at 9:02:14 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Yeah, but that's okay. I doubt an empty shipping case was a big part of what he paid.

Jun 07 at 9:41:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >
I've located my favorite games from the collection, but yea - it's all the other stuff that I'm getting excited to dive into.

For the record, I didn't realize it was a PAL box. And I appreciate the clarity. In my mind though, it's still cool as shit   That's just the wacky crap I'm into I suppose. I'm sure there will be plenty of history in the boxes to be explored that will trump my current selection of "favorites."

Jun 07 at 10:50:35 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jhm

For the record, I didn't realize it was a PAL box. 

Yeah, no shit.

Jun 07 at 10:55:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >

Yeah, no shit.

Yea, no shit. You strike me as the type that likes to engage in friendly battles out here. Or maybe you're just an asshole... time will tell I suppose. I think I'll be enjoying our conversations  

Jun 07 at 11:00:41 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Yeah, no shit.

Yea, no shit. You strike me as the type that likes to engage in friendly battles out here. Or maybe you're just an asshole... time will tell I suppose. I think I'll be enjoying our conversations  

You strike me as a guy that purchased a video game forum and is a bit thin-skinned. 

Read up boss man, you got some learning to do.

Jun 07 at 11:01:38 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, he’s an asshole. But most of us are in some way around here. You should listen to the Collectors Quest podcast. At least the latest one.

Jun 07 at 11:04:24 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >

Yeah, no shit.

You strike me as a guy that purchased a video game forum and is a bit thin-skinned. 

LOL. This skin has too much scar tissue to be thin. I'm just as guilty as others when it comes to enjoying some back and forth as the next guy. All in good fun in my head   

And yes, I have A LOT of learning to do. Your help on my journey has been invaluable to date. Thank you.

Jun 07 at 11:05:48 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Yeah, no shit.

Someone having a rough couple days or something?  Geesh so negative over something so trivial.

Jun 07 at 11:06:12 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Admiralnelsondrinker

Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, he’s an asshole. But most of us are in some way around here. You should listen to the Collectors Quest podcast. At least the latest one.

Thanks! The first 20 seconds in and I'm intrigued. Appreciate the reference!

Jun 07 at 11:08:11 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Yeah, no shit.

Someone having a rough couple days or something?  Geesh so negative over something so trivial.

You're right, that was pretty heated back and forth.  

Jun 07 at 11:14:41 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Originally posted by: Admiralnelsondrinker

Yeah, no shit.

Thanks! The first 20 seconds in and I'm intrigued. Appreciate the reference!

They pretty much sum up NA in a nutshell. I haven’t been around very long myself but realized you gotta have some pretty thick skin to hang around 😜

Jun 07 at 11:15:36 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, no shit.

Jun 07 at 11:17:58 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, no shit.

You seem to be handling the exchange more poorly than Jeff and I honestly.

Jun 07 at 11:18:19 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
If I were you, I'd create a YouTube channel and open one box of games per week, you'd get a lot of viewers and a lot of revenue, I'd watch that. I think you'd get a few million views opening up games of that level.

Jun 07 at 11:22:52 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: bootload

If I were you, I'd create a YouTube channel and open one box of games per week, you'd get a lot of viewers and a lot of revenue, I'd watch that. I think you'd get a few million views opening up games of that level.
That's.....

A pretty solid idea actually.

Jun 07 at 11:27:29 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >
I'd probably be about the most boring person to watch on YouTube. Then again, it seems Dain didn't take the time to even take the plastic shrink wrapping off of more than 500 games... odd, to each his own I guess. So there's plenty to do still on my end   Who knows, maybe that would be fun to watch.

Jun 07 at 11:28:04 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

Yeah, no shit.

Jun 07 at 11:32:14 AM
VGS_Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

I'd probably be about the most boring person to watch on YouTube. Then again, it seems Dain didn't take the time to even take the plastic shrink wrapping off of more than 500 games... odd, to each his own I guess. So there's plenty to do still on my end   Who knows, maybe that would be fun to watch.

You're definitely going to want to take that shrink wrap off of all of them. If they can't breathe, the games will eventually go sour.

Videogamesage.com

Jun 07 at 11:33:18 AM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Yeah, no shit.

LOL. This skin has too much scar tissue to be thin. I'm just as guilty as others when it comes to enjoying some back and forth as the next guy. All in good fun in my head   

And yes, I have A LOT of learning to do. Your help on my journey has been invaluable to date. Thank you.

The Super Nolan Bros are a national treasure!   You're gonna get some shit, but it'll be shit you can learn a lot from.

Jun 07 at 11:34:13 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Yeah, no shit.

The Super Nolan Bros are a national treasure!   You're gonna get some shit, but it'll be shit you can learn a lot from.

My dude

Jun 07 at 11:38:38 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, no shit.

You seem to be handling the exchange more poorly than Jeff and I honestly.
Lol, I get it you're upset, that shipping box is a grail for you, maybe he will consider selling it to you.