Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Atmosfear / NightMare SNES

Apr 07 at 3:24:29 PM
drx (1)

< Cherub >
California
I present a prototype of something you probably would’ve never expected. Believe it or not, there was an attempt to bring one of the best (or at least, most well known) VHS board games called “NightMare” (or “Atmosfear”, depending on where you live) to the SNES!

The game was developed by Beam Software, the same company responsible for Radical Rex, Shadowrun, and Tom & Jerry: Frantic Antics. The game was mentioned in a few magazines in late 1993, and in various parts of 1994 - but in name only. To our knowledge, the game was never formally previewed or reviewed by anyone and remained a complete mystery either or not the game was in production, or that it actually existed. The game was then canceled for unknown reasons.

Rather than have it modeled after the board game itself, this game takes the property and turned into a platformer instead - but with a twist. You play as a boy with a short range laser gun, completing various horror themed worlds while trying to avoid the Gatekeeper’s unfair rules. As you attempt to complete each level, you will be randomly interrupted by the Gatekeeper who will attempt to thwart your progress. The game appears to be almost complete, with the “Bathory’s Castle” level being the most unfinished.

Edited: 04/07/2019 at 03:27 PM by drx

Apr 07 at 7:59:00 PM
speedyink (0)
< Cherub >
British Columbia
Very cool, thanks for sharing

Apr 08 at 8:36:48 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I played the shit out of that VHS game as a kid! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 08 at 9:05:09 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
This is awesome, and that second picture (reminiscent of Emperor Palpatine) is so creepy.

-------------------------
Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Apr 08 at 12:57:35 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
This looks fun from the screenshots. I like the graphics and the screen with the clowns! Thanks for this!

Apr 08 at 1:00:32 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
This looks fantastic. Very eager to play this, thanks for sharing!

Apr 08 at 1:09:38 PM
noiseredux (26)
(brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
crazy. I think I have this VHS board game in my basement still.

Apr 08 at 3:49:45 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Used to love playing the board game. I had all 3 expansions (baron samedi, catherine the witch and elizabeth bathory). Also had the harbingers board game they released after. Pretty sure I got all of them kicking around still..

Apr 08 at 7:10:20 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
I played this game growing up and still own a working copy of Atmosfear: The Harbingers (the best in the series, for my money's worth). Wenanty Nosul (the actor that portrayed The Gatekeeper and Baron Samedi) is unreal in the role. Recreating his performance is honestly the hardest part of any hope to reproduce this game in any other form (and partly why the DVD version of the game was, no hard feelings to David Whitney, just not the same.) Super cool thing to find.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Apr 09 at 8:23:51 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Wow! This is awesome. I have the original NightMare, I got it along with Dragon Strike when Kay Bee Toys was clearancing out VHS board games. My mom bought them for me and gave them to me at Christmas. Then I got older and found the Atmosphere version which blew my mind. Later they also made a DVD version of Atmosphere. Crazy that this exists. So awesome, thanks for sharing!

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Apr 09 at 11:33:35 AM
LostLevel83 (142)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
Would someone care to briefly explain VHS board games and how you enjoyed them back in the day? I somehow missed this.

I like pizza.

Apr 15 at 6:41:55 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: LostLevel83

Would someone care to briefly explain VHS board games and how you enjoyed them back in the day? I somehow missed this.

Pretty much you would put in the VHS tape, it would have a bit of a countdown to "the start of the game" then it would have a brief intro explaining a few rules. On the first one he asked certain questions that you played along with (who is the oldest, who is the youngest, etc). 

Long story short, the tape acted as a countdown timer for the game, and the "Host" of the game was whatever monster (first one was gatekeeper, second was baron samedi, etc). While the "Host" is on screen you have to stop playing and do as your instructed ("whoevers turn it is, take fate card" for example). As the game timer counts down the "host" tended to turn more monsterous.

It was actually really fun for what it was, tells you to "set the mood" (turn down the lines, turn up the volume), as a kid when the gatekeeper popped up used to be a good jump scare.

*EDIT* Youtube has rips of the VHS if your interested in watching

Edited: 04/15/2019 at 06:43 PM by Woobie

Apr 15 at 6:58:21 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
For those curious about the series, some details over at BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardga...
A Couple 'A Cowboys had a real hit in AUS with this series, and it did moderately well overseas.
Started with Nightmare, then Atmosfear: The Harbingers and some spin-offs of that one based on the playable characters.
A number of characters from the game, as well as some others, eventually got tapes, be they standalone games or fan-made things. You can dig up some really neat stuff on YouTube.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Edited: 04/15/2019 at 07:03 PM by winterion

Apr 15 at 8:54:16 PM
LostLevel83 (142)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: Woobie

Originally posted by: LostLevel83

Pretty much you would put in the VHS tape, it would have a bit of a countdown to "the start of the game" then it would have a brief intro explaining a few rules. On the first one he asked certain questions that you played along with (who is the oldest, who is the youngest, etc). 

Long story short, the tape acted as a countdown timer for the game, and the "Host" of the game was whatever monster (first one was gatekeeper, second was baron samedi, etc). While the "Host" is on screen you have to stop playing and do as your instructed ("whoevers turn it is, take fate card" for example). As the game timer counts down the "host" tended to turn more monsterous.

It was actually really fun for what it was, tells you to "set the mood" (turn down the lines, turn up the volume), as a kid when the gatekeeper popped up used to be a good jump scare.

*EDIT* Youtube has rips of the VHS if your interested in watching

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I would have been into this back in the day.

I like pizza.

Apr 17 at 1:36:40 AM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Very nice find  
Is it just me or does the hooded gatekeeper guy remind anyone else of https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.n...

Apr 17 at 5:07:48 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Awesome find! Thanks for sharing! I will be checking this out as soon as I get home for sure.