NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers Contest Presents: Contra Ends Sunday at 10 PM Central Time POLL ADDED

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:14:51 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: cremorecs

No I didn't.  I played some the night before, put the game on pause and finished the next day.

I just went for a max points run (taped it), but didn't quite make it.  I ended with right under 5,000,000.  I'm having a really hard time against the Alien like creature at the beginning of level 8.  Those damn things it shoots out take a ton of hits after you've beat the game 4+ times.  I'm also having trouble against the red falcons spiders. 
How do you defeat each of these enemies during the late rounds of your max run?  Do you try to shoot the bottom spiders until you kill the pod they come out of for good? 
Other than these two spots I have most of the game mastered.  As long as I can keep my spreader I can go untouched for the majority of the time, but once I die and all I have is a pea shooter, I'm in deep crap!!!

-------------------------

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:16:31 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: frantik

yeah i can keep spreader from level 1 but i always die a bunch in level 5.. haven't been able to pass 6 w/o 30 lives code yet :'(

It's all repetition and memorization.  Once you play it enough you will be able to run through the game without even getting touched.  If you think the first run through is hard, wait until you've beaten it 5x in a row.  The game gets damn near impossible!!!

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:32:48 PM
cremorecs (428)
(Phil Screen Games) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

How do you defeat each of these enemies during the late rounds of your max run?  Do you try to shoot the bottom spiders until you kill the pod they come out of for good? 

Yea, they are the worst!  In fact, I think the only enemies that get tougher with each run are the level 8 ones.  For the Red Falcon head with the yellow shrimp, I stand below it by that barrier shooting up at an angle.  If one or two of the shrimp go in my line of fire or down and to the right I try and kill them.  Otherwise, I just avoid them take a couple potshots and move back into position (meaning the shrimp that go over your head and to the left).  They will only really make one pass at you before moving off screen so as long as you can keep it down to 1 or 2 drifters you can mostly avoid them all together. 

Honestly, I try to just avoid the spiders in the later runs.  Probably not the best tactic but it worked for me.  I just put all my focus on the brain and only end up with 4-5 deaths tops before it's dead.  When the spiders start spawning I just move back a bit and try to jump over/in between them and hope for the best.  If anyone has a better method, I'd like to hear it. 

Kill Screen Games
https://www.facebook.com/killscre...

Sell me Hong Kong HK NES CIB's and Turbografx CD CIB Games - WTB Thread:  http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:10:23 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: cremorecs

Yea, they are the worst!  In fact, I think the only enemies that get tougher with each run are the level 8 ones.  For the Red Falcon head with the yellow shrimp, I stand below it by that barrier shooting up at an angle.  If one or two of the shrimp go in my line of fire or down and to the right I try and kill them.  Otherwise, I just avoid them take a couple potshots and move back into position (meaning the shrimp that go over your head and to the left).  They will only really make one pass at you before moving off screen so as long as you can keep it down to 1 or 2 drifters you can mostly avoid them all together. 

Honestly, I try to just avoid the spiders in the later runs.  Probably not the best tactic but it worked for me.  I just put all my focus on the brain and only end up with 4-5 deaths tops before it's dead.  When the spiders start spawning I just move back a bit and try to jump over/in between them and hope for the best.  If anyone has a better method, I'd like to hear it. 

I think you're right.  In the other levels there are more enemies, but I don't think any of them require more hits. 
Looks like you and I are fighting the Red Falcon head the same way.  My problem is that I rarely have a rapid fire spreader at that time (which is what is needed to take it down with ease).  That part is hard as hell if you only have the machine gun. 
I fight the heart differently than you do.  I try to kill the spider pods on bottom first, and then go right up to the heart and shoot diagonally up to the right.  While at the same time jumping over the spiders that fall from the top and go nearly straight down (this only happens around 1 out of 3 spiders or so). 

I think I'll most likely get a max score by the end of the week.  I'm taping on VHS, so I can send it into Twin Galaxies.  Not that they have a different category for it or anything, but do you think anyone has ever gotten a max score WITHOUT DYING?  Talk about being a true Contra master!!!

What's funny is that the average person considers this game to be very difficult on the first run through, when in reality it isn't even a challenge compared to how incredibly hard it gets on run 5+.  If only there was a code where you could start at max difficulty right from the beginning. 

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:14:15 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
If I have to choose regular shot or machine gun for the alien head (or anything for that matter) I go regular. The regular shot is more efficient, even without the R upgrade, to me at least. I dont know, I just hate the machine gun, I seem to do much better without the damn thing.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:16:15 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Herb your gonna have fun getting the scores this week
so many lol

http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:56:31 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

What's funny is that the average person considers this game to be very difficult on the first run through, when in reality it isn't even a challenge compared to how incredibly hard it gets on run 5+.  If only there was a code where you could start at max difficulty right from the beginning. 

Your wish could maybe become a reality, user "hybrid" on these forums makes Game Genie codes for fun.  If it's coded in the game, there's a possibility that he could create a code to unlock it...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:49:39 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States

Edited: 06/17/2009 at 04:50 PM by smokinjoe24

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:36:36 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Just wanted to bump this thread, there's a heated discussion about the "Hardest Video Games ever" on a honda forum and Contra came up a couple of times. I didn't think Contra was hard at all and there's several people in here who completely demolished it.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:58:27 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Wow, this is gay. I was actually going to compete this week but fuck it now. Rules should have been set up to prevent this. At least he was honest with how he got the score.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:00:47 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
^wow, I completely wasn't paying attention to the original thread date. I just saw contra and got Excited.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:03:39 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Hmmm... Mr. Vader, here's the link for contest for this week:http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
This one is an old contest, and we try to make rules clearer now to avoid this kind of performance.

Jone: Go tell these Honda guys that Contra is nowhere near to be called a difficult game. And don't forget to heat the discussion in your own style

Edited: 08/30/2010 at 01:04 PM by guillavoie