Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I Want To Finally Make a NES Game!

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:54:12 AM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Hi everyone. I am a veteran Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS artist that has done a bit of everything. I have worked for Powerhead Games (~11 years), Sifteo (~1.5 years) and High 5 Games (~5 years) and various Freelance Clients such as Digital Hero Games and Navitude. As well as creating 2D (Adobe CC, GIMP, Krita, Inkscape) and 3D (3D Studio MAX, Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender) art, I can code in HTML5 (Intermediate), C/C++ (Basic), Javascript (Intermediate), Python (Intermediate) and 6502 ASM (Novice). I know some basics about music (Drums, Piano, Bass, Guitar, Audacity, MilkyTracker) composition as well and have an ear for music.

I have experimented with some game makers/engines such as Unity, Unreal and I recreated the Strider NES intro in Godot Engine (Free and Open Source) to see how I like the engine. Ultimately, I realized I need to do things from scratch because I want maximum control with no compromises. I am currently teaching myself NES Assembly because I want to play with making NES games from scratch. I looked into NESMaker but I want to keep my workflow GNU/Linux (Trisquel distro) only. I am trying my best to just stick with Linux because I like and want to support open source software.

I have been doing the "Nerdy Nights" series and am today at week 5. I have managed to get a decent GNU/Linux workflow going with Atom, NESASM (built for Linux), and Mesen which I currently use for its PPU viewer. I have a virtual machine (QEMU/KVM) setup with Windows 7 on it that I use to compare results from the "Nerdy Nights" tutorials which were created for Windows, just to make sure I am doing things correctly according to the tutorials. My ultimate goal is to make and perhaps sell physical retro game carts and work as a solo indie Game Developer.

I wish everyone lots of fun exploring and most of all having FUN with creating NES games!

Edited: 08/17/2018 at 10:58 AM by davidpgil

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:55:15 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

-------------------------

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:58:26 AM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks. Me too!

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:54:45 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Good luck! Stick with it! There will undoubtedly be places where you feel stuck, but there's lots of people here willing to help you work through it.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:19:16 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: mattbep

Good luck! Stick with it! There will undoubtedly be places where you feel stuck, but there's lots of people here willing to help you work through it.

Thanks! Its like when one programs and gets stuck. One is COMPLETELY blocked until that "AH-HA!" moment.  

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:48:02 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Eyyy oo pizza BIE!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:50:55 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
For a second I thought you were writing out your resume.

Hello! Welcome to NA!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 08/17/2018 at 04:51 PM by Mega Tank

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:16:55 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Hello! Welcome to NA!  
Hehe, are you hiring?   Thanks!

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:17:37 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

Eyyy oo pizza BIE!
Huh?!?  

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:18:38 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Welcome to the site! You should get situated with the NA Discord to hop in the Brewery chat! Good luck! 

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:33:57 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
I would love to see a new NES RPG.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:00:59 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: avatar!

Met too! My favorite genre is RPG so its definitely a goal of mine - once I get past the basics. I have many specific ideas on how to approach an RPG series on NES and I hope I can make it a reality.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:05:08 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: Yelir

Welcome to the site! You should get situated with the NA Discord to hop in the Brewery chat! Good luck! 

Is the Discord chat the main NintendoAge chat forum? There is no IRC channel? I want to use only Free and Open Source software as much as I can. Sorry! I know you are trying to be welcoming!

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:37:25 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Yello! Looking forward to your homebrew contributions. Do you have any favorite brews or devs?

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:46:26 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Originally posted by: davidpgil

Met too! My favorite genre is RPG so its definitely a goal of mine - once I get past the basics. I have many specific ideas on how to approach an RPG series on NES and I hope I can make it a reality.

I hope you do too! If you're looking for some feedback/suggestions RPG fans are happy to provide. Also, we will support a physical release  

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:46:07 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Welcome to the site dude!  

KDDK Player  

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:47:34 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Yello! Looking forward to your homebrew contributions. Do you have any favorite brews or devs?

I have not really followed any devs or homebrew people. I am interested in learning of some though!

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:48:25 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York

I hope you do too! If you're looking for some feedback/suggestions RPG fans are happy to provide. Also, we will support a physical release  

If I ever release any game, definitely physical. I probbaly won't do digital.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:49:09 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: Wheelcakes

Welcome to the site dude!  

Thanks. Great to be here. Just getting going really. I hope I can contribute more soon!

Oct 09 at 3:49:16 PM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
... I just messaged MetalSlime asking him/her for the project files for the Nerdy Nights Sound section. If he/she has them and is willing to share them, I have agreed to host the files on my own website. Waiting to hear back.

Oct 09 at 5:32:51 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Welcome. Not really related to NES dev, but if you are looking to get into multitrack audio editing, may I recommend REAPER (Rapid Environment Audio Prototyper) https://www.reaper.fm/...
I've used Audacity myself extensively, and out of the multitrackers I've used (Cubase, Audition, Frooty Loops) REAPER is my favorite. It has experimental native support for Linux, and the Windows version works well with WINE.

Oct 14 at 6:25:28 AM
harura (0)

< Cherub >
looks great, I am newbie and want to create own games too

Oct 14 at 8:47:04 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York

Hello! Welcome to NA!  

I'll connect with you on LinkedIn- always looking for devs.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 14 at 9:54:24 AM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: gunpei

Welcome. Not really related to NES dev, but if you are looking to get into multitrack audio editing, may I recommend REAPER (Rapid Environment Audio Prototyper) https://www.reaper.fm/
I've used Audacity myself extensively, and out of the multitrackers I've used (Cubase, Audition, Frooty Loops) REAPER is my favorite. It has experimental native support for Linux, and the Windows version works well with WINE.
Well then, is that so?   ... Choice of DAW is highly personal. Hard to recommend. For example, I am a Free and Open Source enthusiast, so Reaper then becomes disqualified for me just due to the fact it is closed source. I use Ardour as my DAW, but mostly I want to use a DAW like Milky Tracker or FamiTracker as my main DAW. I know plugin support is basically non-existent in those, but that another thing I avoid. I use hardware for all my effects so far. Yeah I know the path I have chosen is unusual, but its part of the fun. Thanks for sharing your interests though. I like hearing what others are into.

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 09:58 AM by davidpgil

Oct 14 at 9:59:14 AM
davidpgil (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: zi

Hello! Welcome to NA!  

I'll connect with you on LinkedIn- always looking for devs.

Responded to your connection request on LinkedIn.