Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

#6 smart boy cart found Smart boy

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:26:36 PM
mini me (0)

(steven banks) < Cherub >
Mississippi
new to the site friends told me I need to post this to this group just acquired this cart and from what I have seen only 5 are confirmed of being out there This one is Batman the video game not sure what to put value on it not really worried about it I think its a neat piece to own and probably one of a kind whats everyones thoughts

Edited: 10/08/2014 at 01:29 PM by mini me

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:33:12 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
haven't seen one of these in years. Not sure on the exact number that have been found though or the price. If I remember correctly, it's just an old school reproduction? Hopefully others can chime in

-------------------------
Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:35:26 PM
mini me (0)

(steven banks) < Cherub >
Mississippi
from what I have read early bootlegs made for video rental stores I bought it on a fluke never hearing of the smart boy line

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:11:19 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Old repro from back in the day, I think they were based in NYC.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:28:59 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Interesting item!

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:40:59 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Basically Smart Boy carts are a glorified pirate. The carts were sold to video rental stores as a cheaper alternative to official NES carts.
 They also made the inserts named Quik Play for the Smart Boy rental cases.

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Edited: 01/14/2015 at 11:40 PM by JaxsBox

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:27:14 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Yup, just pirate carts, and immensely overrated imo. With so many other (more interesting) pirate companies out there, it always makes me wonder why these guys receive so much attention, in price and what not.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:33:14 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: tracker465

Yup, just pirate carts, and immensely overrated imo. With so many other (more interesting) pirate companies out there, it always makes me wonder why these guys receive so much attention, in price and what not.
Think they don't show up to often.

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Edited: 01/14/2015 at 11:41 PM by JaxsBox

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:03:59 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: JaxsBox

Originally posted by: tracker465

Think the fact they don't show up to often makes them desirable. Have heard in the past that most of these were destroyed? How true that statement is beyond me. Just passing along the rumor more or less.
No idea about the rumor of these being destroyed, what was the reason given?  That they were fakes?  Or because the rental company was done renting NES games?  Interesting stuff either way.

The problem with that sentiment (for me, personally) is that there are literally thousands of rare NES obscurities, ranging from unlicensed gray-market stuff (i.e. Sachens, Gluk Video), to bootlegs like the Hong Kong games stuff, Smart Boy, Supervision, Spica, etc.  But none of the aforementioned stuff is particularly easy to find, and I am sure that without much effort I could think up another (rare) NES cart that would be comparable to Smart Boy, yet with a more interesting history.  That is why I just don't get the demand or desire for these things.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...