Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Wireless Controller Knockoffs? Hyperkin strikes again?

Apr 24 at 11:47:20 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Anybody seen the below video from Pixel Game Squad?  They're testing some new wireless NES and SNES controllers from Hyperkin which seem to have a relatively incredible range on them, despite being officially rated for 30 feet.  Still watching the video myself, and while they haven't done an official measurement (yet), they tested the range with SMB and managed to get the thing to continue working several hundred feet away from the receiver, through several walls of an office building then across a decent sized parking lot.  Most wireless technology is somewhat standardized, so it's possible Hyperkin just happened to make something that has a similarly incredible range, but as the AVS controllers have been the only things I've heard of to date to have anywhere near the sort of range that's being shown off here, something seems amiss here.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Apr 24 at 11:58:20 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
The Cadet controller was released before the AVS controller, and the Scout shortly after:

Cadet: June 2017
AVS: July 2017
Scout: November 2017

While technically possible that Hyperkin went to a convention or saw some promo online prior to release of the AVS controller and made something similar, I personally doubt it. To my knowledge the AVS controller doesn't REALLY do anything particularly new where technology is concerned. In fact my understanding was that it uses OLD tech (since it works better).

Apr 24 at 3:18:33 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Gloves

The Cadet controller was released before the AVS controller, and the Scout shortly after:

Cadet: June 2017
AVS: July 2017
Scout: November 2017

While technically possible that Hyperkin went to a convention or saw some promo online prior to release of the AVS controller and made something similar, I personally doubt it. To my knowledge the AVS controller doesn't REALLY do anything particularly new where technology is concerned. In fact my understanding was that it uses OLD tech (since it works better).

The dates I'm finding for the Cadet and Scout that match what you've posted are for the wired versions, not the wireless.  The two wireless versions being tested in the video are showing release dates of 4/5/2019 for the Cadet and 4/12/2019 for the Scout (links below).  As I said, most wireless tech is pretty standardized so it can be somewhat difficult to come up with something truly new or unique using off the shelf parts, but Hyperkin releasing a pair of controllers that seem to rival the AVS versions seems somewhat suspect to me.  There's nothing that I'm aware of stopping them from using the exact same parts that the AVS controllers did, but with them being a much bigger player, if they were truly the first to beat down this path, you'd have figured they would have launched these years earlier than they did.

Wireless Cadet: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-C...
Wireless Scout: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-P...
Wired Cadet: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-C...
Wired Scout: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-S...

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Edited: 04/24/2019 at 03:21 PM by darkchylde28

Apr 24 at 3:23:54 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Ah fair nuf, my bad on the dates (didn't realize that there were different versions!).

I dunno. I feel like labeling legit competition as "knock-offs" is a bit much IMO. I view it simply as competition.

Apr 24 at 3:32:52 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Ah fair nuf, my bad on the dates (didn't realize that there were different versions!).

I dunno. I feel like labeling legit competition as "knock-offs" is a bit much IMO. I view it simply as competition.

Well, Hyperkin has a tendency to take other folks' tech and come up with their own version, without any real changes made save the packaging (both the box as well as the shell of whatever hardware being discussed).  I understand the sentiment regarding competition, but if these are using the same tech that the AVS controllers did, something that no other wireless controller manufacturer seemed to utilize, it makes it highly suspect to me that Hyperkin got to the same place on their own versus making another clone of an existing product...because they could.  Maybe knockoffs is too strong a term, although if it's the same tech being used (and Hyperkin didn't get there on their own), they'd still be clones.  Better prices for those wanting to buy something with this level of performance but likely worse quality than what we've already seen.

Apr 24 at 3:40:31 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Well, Hyperkin has a tendency to take other folks' tech and come up with their own version, without any real changes made save the packaging (both the box as well as the shell of whatever hardware being discussed).  I understand the sentiment regarding competition, but if these are using the same tech that the AVS controllers did, something that no other wireless controller manufacturer seemed to utilize, it makes it highly suspect to me that Hyperkin got to the same place on their own versus making another clone of an existing product...because they could.  Maybe knockoffs is too strong a term, although if it's the same tech being used (and Hyperkin didn't get there on their own), they'd still be clones.  Better prices for those wanting to buy something with this level of performance but likely worse quality than what we've already seen.

I mean frankly I wasn't happy with the AVS controllers regardless so color me biased, but if other companies are able/willing to make the tech work in a nicer package then I'm all for it. I won't actively knock the AVS controllers cuz so many people are happy with theirs, but yeah unfortunately I wasn't happy with basically anything about them (I'm sad to say) so I'm in the "let someone else do it better" camp.

Frankly 8bitdo is still tops for wireless as far as I'm concerned since you can use ANY BT controller with their connectors.

Even so, I tend to use a wired SNES controller when playing NES games (with a wired adapter I got from SGP), so hey what do I know.  

Apr 25 at 11:27:37 AM
ecmyers (0)
(Eugene ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
If it helps, based on my experience with the wired Cadet controller, the build quality is going to be widely variable; some controllers will be great, but others will be unusable, because the parts they use differ from one unit to the next. It's very strange.

I wish I could use my RetroUSB Wireless controller more often, but it's picking up interference on my upstairs TV that causes it to lose its connection periodically, though it seems to work fine in the basement. It isn't the Wi-Fi router, because it happens even when that's unplugged. Could a home entertainment speaker (wired) or even the TV itself be interfering with it? I don't have that issue with Bluetooth controllers like 8Bitdo.

Apr 25 at 4:44:03 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
This thread is confusing. The AVS/retroUSB controllers don't do anything new or exciting, or are anything original.

The internal PCB is the same layout as the original NES controller, with added turbo buttons. You can swap shell if you want. (battery and wireless board prevent exact fit)

The shell is modeled after the Max controller.

The wireless is standard 2.4Ghz, using off the shelf add on modules that anyone can order and use.

The original battery used to test was from a PS3 controller. Not sure what the final one is but its probably close to it.

And everyone knows Hyperkin makes garbage....so whats the big deal?

Apr 25 at 4:44:40 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: ecmyers

Could a home entertainment speaker (wired) or even the TV itself be interfering with it? I don't have that issue with Bluetooth controllers like 8Bitdo.

Yes.   Bluetooth is different type of wireless so it will act different.

Apr 25 at 5:09:13 PM
ecmyers (0)
(Eugene ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Mog

The AVS/retroUSB controllers don't do anything new or exciting, or are anything original.

Someone suggested to me in another forum that Bunnyboy had implemented some proprietary technology or nonstandard implementation to achieve minimal lag over 2.4Ghz. While I haven't seen that substantiated anywhere else, I assumed that's what OP is referring to.