Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

pirate carts...is there a list?

Dec 15, 2006 at 9:21:47 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

(. .) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I know many companies made NES carts on their own, and each are called pirate companies. Are there complete lists of the carts made by these companies out there?
I have hit a collecting dead-end...and I do not wish to collect the many USA minor and micro-variants out there. I will leave that to all you hardcore deviants out there!!! I divide the NES list into 4 parts...Carts, major variants, minor variants, and micro variants.
I have the Sachens. But what about Hydron, Hong Kong Cart Co., Gradiente, Smart Boy, etc. I know there are many 72-pin dedicated carts out there, by many good companies, but is there a list? And not of just the "known" carts, but rather an accurate list of the carts released?
I collect any game that is on a dedicated cart (one game on a 72-pin cart) and all its major variants. I have dozens of multicarts, but that just isn't the same.
Like Dain's Mahjong cart. Mahjong can be found on lots of multicarts, but his is the only (non-sachen) cart of that title.
If that list (those lists) cannot be found here, then it just doesn't exist.

-------------------------

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:51:41 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
To directly answer you question about whether or not there's a list, the answer would be "no." At least not a *definitive* list.

Pirate carts are constantly being discovered, so it makes collecting them a real challenge. The Hong Kong Game Cart Co. games listed on the site isn't a complete list -- these are just ones that we absolutely know to exist. In fact, I have a list of over 100 of them *thought* to exist. I made an executive decision (LOL) to not list ones that hadn't surfaced as proven to exist, which is why there is only 33 so far listed (do a search for 'HKGCC'). I may put the others up though -- what are your thoughts?

I can understand your dilemna of wanting to collect stuff, but not knowing what else to collect. There are so many things you could collect and keep you busy for a very long time. Brazil games is a tough market, as there are literally hundreds out there. If you decide to collect PAL games, that could keep you busy for the next 10 years

-Dain

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:47:02 AM
Glass Joe (0)
(aaron whallon) < Junior Member >
New York
I wouldn't put up games that aren't known to exist. I think the best thing to do is use the site to confirm as many as possible.

Dec 16, 2006 at 6:53:21 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

(. .) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Thanks! I was hoping there was some set of definitive lists (maybe set out by the pirate companies themselves) so as to have a goal or a direction to collect. I have all the PAL and Australia original carts that I have ever heard of. And I have tackled the Brazil market for a half-dozen years now, but I don't know what to search for. I tend to need a goal....and just hoping that I find something new is a bit difficult for me to pursue (with any long-term interest).
And i also agree that if the existence of a cart is not confirmed, it should not be added to the database. I just wanted the existence of another hundred or so carts to be confirmed!!
But thanks for the help! Be well!

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:35:36 AM
JordanMacNamara (22)
(Jordan MacNamara) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Here are scans of the back of 2 generic hkgcc boxes I have.For me, this is enough proof that they exist,but it`s Dain`s call.
Also I found this link to the warp zone,I was too lazy to check all of Dain`s scans but there might be some new ones to add

WARP ZONE PICS

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:37:59 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
We really need to get someone to translate those I saw them on the scans you sent, and was trying to figure them all out. I didn't get very far, unfortunately.

I'll have to double check which ones on the Warp Zone are missing, but I think most are already on the site.

-Dain