Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zapper not working on AVS Trying to use LCDMOD

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:20:32 PM
dtb174 (0)

< Cherub >
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my AVS. If you are unaware, there is now a way to play (some) light gun games on the NES. It works by using a modified ROM that adds a delay when the trigger is pulled. Link here:

http://neslcdmod.com/...

I wanted to give it a try using my AVS. I acquired the patches, applied them, and loaded them onto my Everdrive N8. I also ordered an off-brand light gun as recommended. When it arrived, I got everything hooked up, loaded up Duck Hunt and... nothing when I pull the trigger, either on the main menu (where the game can auto-detect the delay required), or when I start a game. And by nothing, I mean it is not even playing the "shoot" sound in game. Tried the original Zapper too, same problem.

I dusted off my original NES, and everything worked correctly -- both guns made sounds, and the off-brand one performed amazingly well.

At first I thought the AVS simply wasn't compatible with the Zapper, as prior to this mod there would be no reason for it to be, but I have seen a few comments from people saying they've used the AVS with the mod, and even a video of someone using it.

Any ideas what my issue might be? My AVS is running the latest firmware (1.30 final). Thanks!

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:27:21 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Ok, two things you're going to want to check for, as I literally did this last night and had zero issues.

First, do you have the correct ROM versions? You need to check the CRC32 value of whatever files you're using and make sure they match what's up on the LCDMOD website. If you're using something that has values different than what's listed on the IPS files' download pages, that's at least part of your problem and you're going to need to get the right versions to succeed.

Second, did you turn off the Four Score functionality? In order to get the light gun to work at all, you've got to plug the gun into port 2 (on the left, closest to the cartridge slot) and have the AVS set up in "normal" mode, only recognizing the leftmost two controller ports. Once you've done that (and gotten the right ROM versions patched), you should be up and off to the races!

Edit:  Photos I took of the games I got running last night (couldn't find the right version of Wild Gunman until this morning).

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Edited: 10/19/2018 at 01:32 PM by darkchylde28

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:29:39 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Wow, pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has put the ROMs onto individual cartridges yet.

edit: I also wonder if it'll work with old HD DLP TVs.

Edited: 10/19/2018 at 01:32 PM by Tulpa

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:33:03 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Wow, pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has put the ROMs onto individual cartridges yet.

Hard to say, but I'm planning to do so (or have it done for me) once the "final" versions of each patch are released.  Right now everything that's been released is just in open beta, with bugs still being ironed out on occasion.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:36:09 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Hard to say, but I'm planning to do so (or have it done for me) once the "final" versions of each patch are released.  Right now everything that's been released is just in open beta, with bugs still being ironed out on occasion.
I plan on using a flash cart, but I wonder if people will have an "original" cart for their collection and a modded cart for playing.  

I wonder why the Tomee Zapp Gun knockoff works better than the Zapper.

Edited: 10/19/2018 at 01:37 PM by Tulpa

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:39:10 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

I plan on using a flash cart, but I wonder if people will have an "original" cart for their collection and a modded cart for playing.  

I'm in a place that's kind of a combination of both.  I'm currently playing on a flash cart and will likely continue to do so.  I also already have copies of all of the original.  And, I'd like to have modded versions both for playing and just because (at least partially to "permanently" memorialize someone finally successfully doing something about the HDTV/light gun problem).  Fingers crossed the golks behind these manage to put out patches for every light gun game!

Originally posted by: Tulpa

I wonder why the Tomee Zapp Gun knockoff works better than the Zapper.

Word has it that the diode in the knockoff is better/more sensitive than the originals were.  If you follow some of the links on the LCDMOD site, you can find some Twitter threads where folks pulled that diode out of the Tomee Zapp gun and successfully moved it into a real, Nintendo branded/manufactured Zapper without issue.  I don't know that I'm willing to go that far right now, but it's something to think about.

Edited: 10/19/2018 at 01:41 PM by darkchylde28

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:44:10 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I wonder if they can "fix" Chiller.  

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:46:49 PM
dtb174 (0)

< Cherub >
Second, did you turn off the Four Score functionality? In order to get the light gun to work at all, you've got to plug the gun into port 2 (on the left, closest to the cartridge slot) and have the AVS set up in "normal" mode, only recognizing the leftmost two controller ports. Once you've done that (and gotten the right ROM versions patched), you should be up and off to the races!

Aha, it is probably this. I do have the correct ROMs, and Duck Hunt worked on my original NES. Will try switching off the Four Score functionality when I get home and report back. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:15:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Come to think of it, someone was having trouble with Super Russian Roulette on the AVS (it has a workaround for using the Zapper), and turning off the Four Score function solved it.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:55:02 PM
dtb174 (0)

< Cherub >
Success! It was in fact the Four Score option. Works great, only 1.1 delay on my TV with the AVS. Thanks so much for the help!

Edited: 10/19/2018 at 06:55 PM by dtb174

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:40:13 PM
Popeye-Nes (0)

< Cherub >
So is that tomee zapper gun better than Nintendo og zapper for a regular nes and crt ?

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:43:16 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Popeye-Nes

So is that tomee zapper gun better than Nintendo og zapper for a regular nes and crt ?
Maybe, maybe not. Given Tomee's regular NES controller knockoffs, they use inferior pads that wear out. I would wonder about the Zapp Gun's trigger and how robust it is.

If you only play Zapper games occasionally, it might be okay.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:13:41 AM
Popeye-Nes (0)

< Cherub >
I got the tomee gun today been playing duck hunt for 30 minutes works great

In another video on YouTube someone is using a black gun to test this , which gun is that ?
Since these are so cheap $6 I wouldn't mind having a backup Incase this one breaks

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:16:26 AM
Popeye-Nes (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: dtb174

Success! It was in fact the Four Score option. Works great, only 1.1 delay on my TV with the AVS. Thanks so much for the help!

I’m getting 1.5 delay using game mode and everything off , I guess your tv is better 

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:43:32 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Popeye-Nes

I got the tomee gun today been playing duck hunt for 30 minutes works great

In another video on YouTube someone is using a black gun to test this , which gun is that ?
Since these are so cheap $6 I wouldn't mind having a backup Incase this one breaks
I saw that video. It was from some famiclone system. They sometimes included a light gun. It probably doesn't have a compatible connector for the NES. 

Camerica also made an NES light gun. They are pretty rare, though.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:07:55 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: Popeye-Nes

Maybe, maybe not. Given Tomee's regular NES controller knockoffs, they use inferior pads that wear out. I would wonder about the Zapp Gun's trigger and how robust it is.

The generic guns work because they are cheap and do not include a light filter that the official NES ones do.

Edited: 10/25/2018 at 01:09 AM by Mog

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:10:42 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Mog

The generic guns work because they are cheap and do not include a light filter that the official NES ones do.

I don't know that that's the case, as the official LCDMOD page links to a Twitter thread where someone took the diode out of the Tomee gun and inserted it into a real zapper--with the filter lens still intact.  After that point, the modified Zapper worked just as well at picking things up as the Tomee gun had.  Current popular belief is that the newer diodes used are more sensitive (or more sensitive to the range/brightness of current TVs) than the original ones.  Thoughts on this?

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:43:36 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Worked pretty well for me using a Panasonic Plasma, an AVS, and an OG Zapper.

You can skip to 52 seconds if you want to get straight to it.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:06:02 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I just tried the Duck Hunt lcdmod beta 5 on my Samsung 51" plasma with AVS, EverDrive N8, NES controller into player 1 and original NES zapper into player 2 and... it works pretty good within 1-2 feet away from my TV. Like I got a couple of perfect rounds good.

To get to the point where I can actually shoot ducks, the AVS has an issue where whenever a controller is plugged into player 1 and NES zapper in player 2. Player 1 controller quits working if Player 2, an NES Zapper, is also plugged in. I keep having to unplug and re-plug player 2 in order for the player 1 controller to resume working (tested multiple controllers btw) so I can scroll through menus and ultimately press start to play.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:17:49 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Brachabre
To get to the point where I can actually shoot ducks, the AVS has an issue where whenever a controller is plugged into player 1 and NES zapper in player 2. Player 1 controller quits working if Player 2, an NES Zapper, is also plugged in. I keep having to unplug and re-plug player 2 in order for the player 1 controller to resume working (tested multiple controllers btw) so I can scroll through menus and ultimately press start to play.
Weird. I plug my Arkanoid Vaus into Port 2 and a controller in Port 1 still works no problem. I wonder why the Zapper does that.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:20:33 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Weird. I plug my Arkanoid Vaus into Port 2 and a controller in Port 1 still works no problem. I wonder why the Zapper does that.

Yeah, this is weird, as my AVS works exactly like the original NES does, so long as you've got the Four Score compatibility turned off.  Are you on the latest AVS firmware Brachabre?

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:25:30 PM
Brachabre (9)
Texas
I should probably try another NES zapper. I do have 2 extra zappers (grey and orange) to try which is nice.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:33:25 PM
Brachabre (9)
Texas

Yeah, this is weird, as my AVS works exactly like the original NES does, so long as you've got the Four Score compatibility turned off.  Are you on the latest AVS firmware Brachabre?
oooo I need to try disabling four score as it's still enabled. I'm running firmware 1.30 final.

Edit: turning off four score and expansion emu AVS controller settings fixed the controller issue. Now everything works as it should. Thanks fellas!

Edited: 10/29/2018 at 04:47 PM by Brachabre

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:44:52 PM
Sougouk (0)

< Cherub >
Canada
Hello all, I tried this LCDMOD and it doesn't really work for me. I tried Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman.

Hardware:
AVS with 1.30 Final Firmware, Everdrive N8 cart, Original Nes Zapper, Samsung 46" LCD LNS46960D

1) Verified the roms I had with the proper CRC codes from the LCDMOD site. All 3 games checked out perfectly.

2) Downloaded the 3 latest IPS patches and then patched the proper roms with Lunar IPS.exe. The program stated all 3 patched perfectly.

3) Power on AVS and verified settings:
Expansion Emu OFF
Four Score Pro = 1 and 2 (left pair) on

4) Run the games, and I see the Delay settings, which I can change with the D pad.

5) Point the Zapper at the "Shoot/Fire Here" and it changes the delay to 9.7.

6) When pressing the Zapper's trigger, there's a white square around the shootable character (duck, can, killer, cowboy etc.)
No matter how far, close, precise I aim, nothing is affected by the trigger press.

8) I reset the AVS, enable the Four Score Pro, to have all 4 ports.

9) Retest the games, and tried the zapper on ports 2-4. For some reason, the game acknowledges my trigger press when the zapper is in port 4.
However, it will always hit the target, no matter where I point the trigger. I cover the zapper with my hand, and the duck will still be hit.
That is the only thing I'm able to sorta get "working", despite the fact that it's not correct at all.

Does anyone have any other tricks or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:44:48 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Sougouk

Hello all, I tried this LCDMOD and it doesn't really work for me. I tried Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman.

Hardware:
AVS with 1.30 Final Firmware, Everdrive N8 cart, Original Nes Zapper, Samsung 46" LCD LNS46960D

1) Verified the roms I had with the proper CRC codes from the LCDMOD site. All 3 games checked out perfectly.

2) Downloaded the 3 latest IPS patches and then patched the proper roms with Lunar IPS.exe. The program stated all 3 patched perfectly.

3) Power on AVS and verified settings:
Expansion Emu OFF
Four Score Pro = 1 and 2 (left pair) on

4) Run the games, and I see the Delay settings, which I can change with the D pad.

5) Point the Zapper at the "Shoot/Fire Here" and it changes the delay to 9.7.

6) When pressing the Zapper's trigger, there's a white square around the shootable character (duck, can, killer, cowboy etc.)
No matter how far, close, precise I aim, nothing is affected by the trigger press.

8) I reset the AVS, enable the Four Score Pro, to have all 4 ports.

9) Retest the games, and tried the zapper on ports 2-4. For some reason, the game acknowledges my trigger press when the zapper is in port 4.
However, it will always hit the target, no matter where I point the trigger. I cover the zapper with my hand, and the duck will still be hit.
That is the only thing I'm able to sorta get "working", despite the fact that it's not correct at all.

Does anyone have any other tricks or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

You probably just need to manually adjust the delay speed versus letting the ROM try to auto-detect it.  On my TV at home, somewhere around 2 works and for the portable LCD I picked up this weekend, somewhere between 0.8-1.0 seems to work for Duck Hunt.  Settings for the other games will be similar, but be aware that not all games feature the level of adjustment that the Duck Hunt ROM does (Hogan's Alley only adjusts in whole numbers, for example).  If that doesn't do the trick, try spending $5 on a Tomee Zapp light gun and see if that makes any difference.  I haven't tried a regular zapper with my setups yet, but the Tomee Zapp, while not as solid feeling as the original zapper, definitely works when dialed in properly.  Also, make sure Four Score functionality is OFF.  Having it on will definitely mess around with zapper functionality based on multiple accounts from folks using the same firmware on their AVS.  Good luck!