NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Music Debate VII: Avenged Sevenfold With poll and rating explanation

Apr 26 at 7:28:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Splain
 Because of this, it's going to be REALLY hard for any group to get higher than a 7 or less than a 3. So we're actually sort of ending up with a five-point scale that's still oddly fair since it's the same people doing all the voting.
Which is why I think it should ultimately be curved. Prince getting a 6 seems weird if the scale is an absolute 1-10, but no band is going to get a full ten, so (right now) he's the high end.

Apr 26 at 7:33:14 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Whenever it comes to metal bands, you always get the guys where it's never heavy enough and anything even remotely main stream is trash to them. Unless it's some garbage chugging de-tuned to A# gargle crap like loxx used to listen to.

I believe they call it elitism.
I knew a guy who used to listen to black and death metal primarily composed by guys in their basement. If it got to the point where they sold like, maybe, 1000 records, they were suddenly uncool.

Ah yes, the tr00 kvlters

I like some black metal.  Hell I like almost every sort of metal in some sense.  And the only three metal shows I've ever seen in the town I currently live in were all black(ish) metal bands; Abigail Williams, Agalloch, and Martriden.  But I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer almost any other sort of metal, especially ones that contain things like melody and harmony...

...though this song is the coolest

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 04/26/2019 at 08:20 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 27 at 7:11:08 AM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Don't understand the 0 and 10 voters.
If you want to honestly vote a 2 or 3 sure that is your opinion. I voted a 3 in this case.
However, every group or artist selected so far for voting has had enough success that they can't possibly be a zero.

Apr 27 at 7:42:12 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Whenever it comes to metal bands, you always get the guys where it's never heavy enough and anything even remotely main stream is trash to them. Unless it's some garbage chugging de-tuned to A# gargle crap like loxx used to listen to.

I believe they call it elitism.

That attitude is pretty much what essentially killed rock/metal in the early 2000's. The local scenes were just as toxic (and still are from what I see).

I was seeing this chick before I met my current gf. She only listened to death metal. Why? Because she "hates singing in her metal". The irony of it all? She had just gotten into death metal like 8 months ago, and before that was a huge White Snake and Warrant fanatic. It was really strange to hear about the extreme stylistic change and denouncing all other kinds of music.

Originally posted by: Buyatari

Don't understand the 0 and 10 voters.
If you want to honestly vote a 2 or 3 sure that is your opinion. I voted a 3 in this case.
However, every group or artist selected so far for voting has had enough success that they can't possibly be a zero.

So it's okay to vote between 1 and 9?

Just because a group is successful doesn't mean they're good. Made in Mexico, Graveyard BBQ, and Abnormality all have had enough success to make it into mainstream gaming (Guitar Hero), yet I wouldn't consider any of these bands worth listening to even once.

The only thing you need to understand is that it's someones opinion on something.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 27 at 10:17:28 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

Just because a group is successful doesn't mean they're good. Made in Mexico, Graveyard BBQ, and Abnormality all have had enough success to make it into mainstream gaming (Guitar Hero), yet I wouldn't consider any of these bands worth listening to even once.

The only thing you need to understand is that it's someones opinion on something.

The idea of these threads is to give the bands a fair listen, even if they're not your cup of tea, and give them an honest rating. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a 1-10 scale but a thumbs up or down.

If you're honestly picking zeros every time, then I want to see video of you actually running a cheese grater across your face.  

Apr 27 at 10:17:49 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
dp. Always this one fucking computer. 

Edited: 04/27/2019 at 10:18 AM by Tulpa

Apr 27 at 10:49:54 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

The idea of these threads is to give the bands a fair listen, even if they're not your cup of tea, and give them an honest rating. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a 1-10 scale but a thumbs up or down.

If you're honestly picking zeros every time, then I want to see video of you actually running a cheese grater across your face.  

Yeah I think what brock is going for with the 0, and 10 is those should be reserved for a band you actually think is the best or worst on earth. So while still an opinion, a person shouldn't have 5 bands that they think are the worst band on earth. There should be just one of each per person.

Apr 27 at 1:05:20 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
I could elaborate on my score of 2/10. Their songwriting is just absolutely abrasive to my ears and the singer's voice just sounds awful to me. He's like the guy from disturbed, a singer I already dont like, but even worse. Their guitarist can shred though, and their late drummer could drum. They had some real talent in that band, unfortunately it just sounded terrible when it was all put together.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 27 at 1:06:28 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
Double post, my bad

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 04/27/2019 at 01:07 PM by kguillemette

Apr 27 at 2:08:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Based on these clips, they can play, but I'm not thrilled with the songwriting or the singer.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 27 at 4:36:55 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I feel like every group posted just gets the lowest votes possible, board must be full of country fans or something. Or since its filled with tape collectors maybe only into super retro music played on instruments from archaeological digs

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Apr 27 at 5:40:47 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Yeah I think voting a 2 on something you don't like at all and would never listen to by choice is the best way to go.

2 should be 0.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 27 at 6:45:25 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: B.A.

Yeah I think what brock is going for with the 0, and 10 is those should be reserved for a band you actually think is the best or worst on earth. So while still an opinion, a person shouldn't have 5 bands that they think are the worst band on earth. There should be just one of each per person.

Tup - I'm not picking 0's EVERY time  

Every band listed I've listened to a "fair listen".

BA - that's some silly logic. Only allowed to dislike 1 band the worst  or like 1 band the best? If that's how you're wanting to restrict it, then why have anything other than 3 choices for the poll:

a.) I seek out to listen to this bands music
b.) I wouldn't change the station/song if this band came on
c.) instant change the station/song
Originally posted by: TheLarch

Yeah I think voting a 2 on something you don't like at all and would never listen to by choice is the best way to go.

2 should be 0.

Then change the scale. Either way, the lowest number will always equate to a 0 relative to other scales.

Apr 27 at 6:51:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
It's not my poll, but that is how I read his number descriptions and it makes sense to me. The tops and bottoms are for if you literally think they are the worst or best band on earth.

Apr 27 at 7:03:02 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
It's clear dra600n is just gonna do his own thing. That's fine, his vote is just 1 amongst 50-80. I'll consider such things within tolerance

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Apr 27 at 7:13:20 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Tup - I'm not picking 0's EVERY time  

Every band listed I've listened to a "fair listen".

BA - that's some silly logic. Only allowed to dislike 1 band the worst  or like 1 band the best? If that's how you're wanting to restrict it, then why have anything other than 3 choices for the poll:

a.) I seek out to listen to this bands music
b.) I wouldn't change the station/song if this band came on
c.) instant change the station/song
Originally posted by: TheLarch

2 should be 0.

Then change the scale. Either way, the lowest number will always equate to a 0 relative to other scales.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with voting 0 or 10 I get why people are I'm just saying the criteria for the scale kind of leaves room for skewed data by design.

I would have done a 0-5 scale personally and tighten it up a bit and maybe lighten up on the criteria descriptions/subjective termonology.

0 - You would never listen to this band by choice, completely dislike
1 - If someone was playing it, it would annoy you.
2 - If someone was playing it you'd be okay with it and on occassion listen to a few select songs.
3 - You have dug into the band a little bit and listened to complete albums
4 - You have a very strong like for this band and listen frequently or come back to it periodically.
5 - This is a band you love and will probably listen to them for the remainder of your life.

I don't really wanna shit on Brock cause he puts a lot of effort into this stuff but I would personally have a scale like that instead that is more straight to the point with less subjective terms.

A word like "killer" might not be as extreme to someone as it is to another.

"Oh yeah that's pretty killer" 

"DUDE THOSE GUYS WERE FUCKIN KKIIILLEEEEEER"

Same with going to see bands live, some people can love the absolute shit out of a band but maybe they have no intentions on going to them live regardless for whatever reason, once again it's just really subjective.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 04/27/2019 at 07:14 PM by Uncle Meat

Apr 27 at 7:31:13 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
We did the 0-5 scale for this project on another site. We quickly regretted not doing a 0-10 scale.

Apr 27 at 7:46:25 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

It's clear dra600n is just gonna do his own thing. That's fine, his vote is just 1 amongst 50-80. I'll consider such things within tolerance

kay, so you don't want accurate data among the 33 people voting. Put it in wherever you want to skew the numbers in your opinion lol

The funny thing is, what I voted and what I posted are 2 different things. So have fun guessing where my vote actually is.

Apr 27 at 8:12:19 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

kay, so you don't want accurate data among the 33 people voting. Put it in wherever you want to skew the numbers in your opinion lol

The funny thing is, what I voted and what I posted are 2 different things. So have fun guessing where my vote actually is.

Nope, don't care.  I spoke my piece, you made your decision.  Virtually everyone else is on board so I'm content.  The threads will go on and on and we can all have fun and you can do whatever it is you are doing.

Edited: 04/27/2019 at 08:14 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 28 at 8:11:42 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Nope, don't care.  I spoke my piece, you made your decision.  Virtually everyone else is on board so I'm content.  The threads will go on and on and we can all have fun and you can do whatever it is you are doing.

100% intend to. Thanks for your permission tho  

Apr 28 at 12:00:50 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
I suppose it is possible that someone here on earth considers this band the best band that they have ever heard.
When I think of best ever I look for innovation and lasting influence but others may have different criteria. It is subjective.

Zero however while it should be on the poll is a vote no one should honestly pick. No matter what you think of these guys they did receive a recording contract. They can play instruments and remember the lyrics without the music sheets in front of them.Have you even been to a grade school music recital? Trust me, no matter how little you think of this band if you hand me a guitar and ask me to sing a song with a couple of friends it will be worse MUCH worse.

So yeah it is subjective. However, to say that they (or any other band chosen so far) are a zero is like saying a common daily injury is the most painful experience on earth. You either greatly exaggerate or you haven't lived much.

Apr 28 at 12:55:17 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
That actually gives me an idea for next week. Might be changing my plans...

Apr 28 at 3:40:38 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I think the poll is fine. It's easier or more likely you're gonna give a low vote for a band rather than giving them a random 9 or 10 so you can bet there is gonna be bias in the negative direction for all of these.

As for these guys, i never really got into them. Ok band just not my thing. 5.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Apr 28 at 4:53:42 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Are we really complaining about a fun music poll?

Like seriously?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 28 at 8:28:18 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Never even heard of them and was thinking it would be shit tier level like Chemical Romance but then I heard the Guitar solos and I must admit they were pretty fucking good. Could do without the vocals though.  Solid 6 for me.

Edited: 04/28/2019 at 08:29 PM by pegboy