Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Aug 25 at 5:42:42 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Anyone know anything about Lego? Or if there's another forum that's any good for them? I have a bunch of old sets collected from when I was younger, and some from more recent, but idk shit about them.

I'm mainly wondering what collectors out there look for, how heavily "new" or boxed, or instructions come into play. All that good stuff.

Edited: 09/02/2019 at 06:11 PM by 3rdstrongestmole

Aug 25 at 6:54:42 PM
Azea1ia (0)
(Connie Flynn) < Cherub >
England
There's a couple collector - youtube - channels such as JangBricks and he can collect you to places for that sort of things. I don't know personally but it could be good to have a nose about there for anything important.

Aug 25 at 8:19:21 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
I would assume completeness and instructions for sets, then hopefully box?

Aug 25 at 8:36:08 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I have a decent sized collection. Brickset is the best online resource, and Bricklink will give you an idea about value. Box condition usually doesn't matter as much as piece condition. Collectors want sets to show as little wear as possible. The most popular stuff for collectors is mid 80s to mid 90s Pirates, Castle, and Space sets.

Also for god sakes, its Lego, not Legos.

-------------------------
SW-6786-5095-2210

Aug 25 at 8:54:07 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: empire

I have a decent sized collection. Brickset is the best online resource, and Bricklink will give you an idea about value. Box condition usually doesn't matter as much as piece condition. Collectors want sets to show as little wear as possible. The most popular stuff for collectors is mid 80s to mid 90s Pirates, Castle, and Space sets.

I keep telling my sister she's sitting on a mint.  She snagged every Pirates and Castle set she could find when we were growing up and when she was in college.   She still has them all in their respective boxes.

Aug 25 at 9:02:25 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I keep telling my sister she's sitting on a mint.  She snagged every Pirates and Castle set she could find when we were growing up and when she was in college.   She still has them all in their respective boxes.

Did she open them?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Aug 25 at 9:15:38 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Obviously completion is the main thing, but I would say box is more important than instructions cuz you can get instructions online with the set # i believe, used to be able to anyway.

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Aug 25 at 9:22:15 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Use BrickLink if you want to get an idea on prices for things.

Some boxes can fetch a premium. Hell, some minifigs can fetch a ton.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 25 at 9:23:07 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Yeah I have some 90s, some early 2000s in those categories. No boxes though. All complete stuff. Maybe I'll jump on Brickset and check things out. I gotta dust these bastards up a little bit and make sure they don't look too worn, but they've just been sitting. I'm worried about the masts on the barracuda. I can't tell if they're dingy now... That would suck.

Younger me wanted to save the boxes but my parents obviously thought they were worthless

Aug 25 at 9:24:54 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
silly parents, stifling their collector kids dreams.

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 09:28 PM by Jeevan

Aug 25 at 9:25:38 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana

No more S 😂😂

Aug 25 at 9:40:33 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Did she open them?

Yeah, they were all built at one point, but they're torn down and put back in their respective boxes.

Aug 25 at 10:16:04 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Did she open them?

Yeah, they were all built at one point, but they're torn down and put back in their respective boxes.

still worth a coin or two. 

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Aug 25 at 10:17:03 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
I came here for pictures...

I don't like keeping Legos myself, but I can appreciate them.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Aug 25 at 10:37:27 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Originally posted by: AirVillain

I'm going through some tomorrow so I'll put some pics up, why not

Aug 26 at 1:25:03 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: 3rdstrongestmole

Originally posted by: AirVillain

I'm going through some tomorrow so I'll put some pics up, why not

Neat!

I do believe there was a lego thread, as well.

I mean... I guess I DO have a Mega Man lego square. It's the 1-up icon. That counts? ~5"x5" square Mega Man face made from Lego that my brother got me from the Calgary Comic Con... I like it.  

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Aug 26 at 7:11:12 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
The only modern ones I still buy are the City sets. I found this at the checkouts at Target, only place I've seen these

I've posted this image elsewhere, but here is a toy store in 1997 (basically the last year I was really into Legos)

Here are most of my childhood Lego sets I have that are still 99/100% complete

This was me on my birthday in 1991

Edited: 08/26/2019 at 07:25 AM by Trj22487

Aug 26 at 8:37:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ I wanted that dungeon-baseplate castle SO BAD as a kid, but somehow it overlapped the last year I really got LEGO for Christmas -- I think that might have been the year I was given the Imperial Flagship pirate set instead.

I had a number of the large castles from the years before that set, though (the black knight's castle that was on 3 or 4 baseplates the "folds open", as well as the large tree-house fort for the robin-hood guys).

My little brother finally got one of those crazy baseplates with one of the archeology-guy sets.

To the OP -- the BIG money is in monorail track and "M-tron" (the red magnet guys that came late in the space series).

Aug 26 at 9:21:01 AM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California
As mentioned above pirates/castle/space sets are good

But theirs also the western sets to be on the look out too

Space sets theirs old ones where the minifig look like the space man character in the movies , a bit later m-tron/ b-tron came out and those are also good to have.

Early Star Wars ( the huge early sets too ex. Death Star)

Early Harry Potter

Pirates of the Caribbean ship sets

Mostly all sdcc Lego sets and minifigs

architecture sets ( Taj Mahal )

Batman sets ( early ones too )

** when I mention early sets from certain franchises, the minifigs are pretty simple looking.
faces have eyes and a smile, no other markings on them.
Also their outfits too don't have much decal ( Star Wars, Batman , Spider-Man sets have been reissued or have had a variant too)

Last thing, theirs also company / promo sets to lookout for too

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 26 at 10:08:40 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

To the OP -- the BIG money is in monorail track and "M-tron" (the red magnet guys that came late in the space series).

We had a monorail before they came out here.   My sister was doing her semester of student exchange in France, and she spotted it over there. 

I don't want to know what that cost or what the shipping cost was, even in the early 90s.   That thing is huge!

Aug 26 at 12:11:05 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
That pic of the castle set up there reminds me of Black Knights Castle I got when I was 8. That was my second all time favorite set. There was another castle set around that time that was all light gray, almost same size, that I always wanted, but it must've been out of production even then because it was impossible to find

Aug 26 at 1:59:55 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana

So I realized I kind of had a ghost town on my hands...

But all my Star Wars sets were intact

Graveyard for the other sets I guess

Aug 26 at 3:00:12 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
That Pirate ship is nice, those things sell for a pretty penny. Might wanna clean it up first of course.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Aug 26 at 3:08:23 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Yeah everything's dusty. And I just realized how insanely hard it is to clean Lego sets

Aug 26 at 3:09:59 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: 3rdstrongestmole

Yeah everything's dusty. And I just realized how insanely hard it is to clean Lego sets

It's really not that bad. Use a vacuum with a soft bristle brush on the end. I got a few dozen sets on display and it takes maybe an hour to clean them to where they look like new.

SW-6786-5095-2210