Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's been a little over 2 1/2 years since the Switch release...and STILL no Mario Kart 9 Not even so much as an announcement or anything :(

Oct 12 at 2:24:10 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
So ever since the SNES and ever since the GBA every Nintendo console/handheld has traditionally had a Mario Kart game.  And the longest we've ever gone between a system's release and the Mario Kart's release was the GC one (Double Dash) which came about about a couple years after.  For Mario Kart 8, it took only about a year and a half after the WiiU release and for Mario Kart 7 it came out in just nine months after the 3DS did!

Meanwhile, it's now been over two years, seven months since the Switch came out and still not even so much as an announcement for Mario Kart 9...much less the actual game being released to the public by now.  I've always looked forward to seeing what the new tracks and especially the retro tracks would look like with each release, as it's a great way of seeing just what the console/handheld can do and with the retro tracks you can see how far we've come in graphics/sound/detail then and now.  I hope Nintendo isn't trying to imply that Mario Kart 8 "Deluxe" (it's just the same game as the WiiU one with both DLC's; nothing really "deluxe" about it at all) on the Switch is "good enough" because it's not.

And while we're on this subject, which retro tracks would you most like to see in Mario Kart 9 and why?  I think having an all-Mario Circuit Cup (all the first eight; starting with Mario Circuit 1 from SMK) and an all-Rainbow Road Circuit Cup (doing all the first eight Rainbow Roads) would be neat, even if it's only as a DLC.

PS: Nintendo, why of all things did you name your handheld-only Switch like a beer (Miller Lite)?  What's next you gonna sell them as a "six pack"?    As if that weird college name for the Switch's predecesor wasn't weird enough...

-------------------------
My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 02:26 AM by Estil

Oct 12 at 3:33:00 AM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Estil

PS: Nintendo, why of all things did you name your handheld-only Switch like a beer (Miller Lite)?  What's next you gonna sell them as a "six pack"?    As if that weird college name for the Switch's predecesor wasn't weird enough...
Did you think searching for generic terms such as 'switch' and 'light' was going to help anyone out?  

I actually hate the new Mario Kart games. Isn't the new mobile version technically MK9?  

Oct 12 at 5:52:06 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
WHAT new Mario Kart games? That's my point, there hasn't been a new one in over five years now! And no that stupid sellout mobile crap doesn't count. I thought Nintendo was better than this.

Then again they did make that very monkey on your icon who is not only an asshole who steals your cap but is constantly scratching his monkey!!

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 05:55 AM by Estil

Oct 12 at 6:24:16 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Shocked if they release another one. Its usually one per console and they blew their load on rushing out this "remaster".

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Oct 12 at 7:29:56 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
100 player battle royale with loot boxes!

Mario Kart 8 deluxe is pretty much perfect. Not sure any new gimmicks they will add will be able to top it.

Oct 12 at 7:42:40 AM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
But they fixed all the crap that was wrong with Mario kart 8 on the Wii u. We should be thankful of that. We probably won't get a 9 on the switch. Basically the Wii u version never existed because it was garbage, so deluxe is this gens Mario kart.

Oct 12 at 8:15:24 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, Mario Kart 9 is probably going to be on the Switch V or whatever the next console is.

Deluxe has already sold about twice as many copies as the Wii U version. Can't imagine Nintendo feeling the need for a completely new version if customers are buying this one in steady numbers.

Sorry, but your Mario Kart princess is in another console.

Oct 12 at 10:00:31 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
They were too focused on that crappy mobile version to make a Switch exclusive Mario Kart proper. Nintendo needed a popular multiplayer game on Switch ASAP to help move units so the port of MK8 made sense. Now, they're focusing on churning out more exclusives. Personally, I'd rather see their resources go to things like a new F-Zero, Pikmin, Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, etc.. than to another Mario Kart. I think will come eventually, although it may not be for the Switch but for upcoming New Switch XL or Switch U.

If they made a new Mario Kart, it would be great to see all courses available. Customizing circuits by selecting the courses you want and how many courses would be neat. They could add a feature where you fise courses together (i.e. 1st lap is a lap on Mario Circuit, 2nd lap is a lap on Bowsers Castle, 3rd lap is a lap on Rainbow Roas with seamless transitions).

The Switch Lite name isn't bad. The DS Lite brand sold like hotcakes so it makes sense. Gameboy Light, DS Lite, Switch Lite. Better than the Wii U name and all the 3DS naming fails.

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Oct 12 at 11:24:45 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
They probably arent. They dont want to make matio kart on an end of console run production cycle. Its a move units early on title then its a pack in on later console bundles to move remaining units like with the wii and wii mini.

They rushed the switch and moved all the good wii u games in production to switch. Probably wont see a mario kart till a new console or major revision upgrade which would essentially be a new console

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 12 at 11:28:15 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
I'm just glad 8 is a really good game since it will be a while before we see 9. I'm assuming it won't be a part of this console generation.

Oct 12 at 3:41:18 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Do you really need a 10th version of the same game?

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 12 at 6:49:33 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: HerrWunderbar

But they fixed all the crap that was wrong with Mario kart 8 on the Wii u. We should be thankful of that. We probably won't get a 9 on the switch. Basically the Wii u version never existed because it was garbage, so deluxe is this gens Mario kart.

I'm curious, with exception to the much needed changes to the battle mode, what made Mario Kart 8 on Wii U 'garbage' and make you hate it so much that you dismiss it completely? The only significant differences are the double items and the purple sparks which is actually worse than the Wii U setup in my opinion.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 12 at 8:20:28 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I was thinkin about this the other day, I play lots of Mario Kart 8 and I dont see 9 happening on the switch, MK8 is near perfect, people are buying it and theres online activity so I cant see Nintendo fragmenting any of that for a new release which as someone pointed out would go against their tradition of releaseing Mario Kart on their platforms early. Maybe if the Switch has a super long cycle then maaybe but if I were betting on it I'd say no MK9. Yeah sure its kind of a ripoff cause it was on the Wii U already but ultimately its still a way better game on a better platform with a better implementation (the double item slot alone sold me on getting a Switch in its first year). I hope I'm wrong about all of this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Oct 12 at 8:40:27 PM
twiztor (5)
(Mr. Twiztor) < Eggplant Wizard >
Iowa
whatever the next Kart game is, i hope it brings back the decoy question mark boxes. by far my favorite item.
also, more variety of characters. Like Smash Bros style roster from multiple franchises. even if it's first party only.

Oct 12 at 10:31:48 PM
Nintendoman_1982 (0)

< Little Mac >
British Columbia
I would like to see Mario Kart 9 with all 58 characters (minus the Bandai Namco characters).

Oct 13 at 5:20:26 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I'm curious, with exception to the much needed changes to the battle mode, what made Mario Kart 8 on Wii U 'garbage' and make you hate it so much that you dismiss it completely? The only significant differences are the double items and the purple sparks which is actually worse than the Wii U setup in my opinion.

I was wondering the same! The core gameplay is nearly identical in the two versions, so this made absolutely no sense.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Oct 13 at 6:13:33 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Krunch

I was thinkin about this the other day, I play lots of Mario Kart 8 and I dont see 9 happening on the switch, MK8 is near perfect, people are buying it and theres online activity so I cant see Nintendo fragmenting any of that for a new release which as someone pointed out would go against their tradition of releaseing Mario Kart on their platforms early. Maybe if the Switch has a super long cycle then maaybe but if I were betting on it I'd say no MK9. Yeah sure its kind of a ripoff cause it was on the Wii U already but ultimately its still a way better game on a better platform with a better implementation (the double item slot alone sold me on getting a Switch in its first year). I hope I'm wrong about all of this
No, the real tradition is that we always get a Mario Kart with every console/handheld since the SNES and GBA.  I'd hate for that to end now.

And I am really unhappy that Nintendo is selling out to mobile...I hope they're not gonna try to tell us with a straight face THAT counts as our Mario Kart 9!  

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 13 at 7:31:14 AM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: ifightdragons

Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I was wondering the same! The core gameplay is nearly identical in the two versions, so this made absolutely no sense.

Everything is better. The controls and double items are the main differences. The Wii u's controls were horrible. Why did they take out double items? That's been a thing since double dash. There are a lot more differences. The Wii u version of mk8 is actually a big reason why I never got a Wii u. I couldn't find many games I wanted to play on Wii u, and mk8 was broken.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/mario-k...

https://en-americas-support.ninte...~/what-is-the-difference-between-the-wii-u-and-nintendo-switch-versions-%28mario

Oct 13 at 8:23:14 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Wii U version was great. I found carrying one item upped the tension when you are in first place.

Oct 13 at 10:42:34 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
And I am really unhappy that Nintendo is selling out to mobile...I hope they're not gonna try to tell us with a straight face THAT counts as our Mario Kart 9!  

No, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe counts as Mario Kart 9. People (including everyone else here) seem to be happy with it, and since it's selling tons, there's no way Nintendo would announce a new one until sales slacked off. 

Oct 13 at 4:46:57 PM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: zeppelin03

Wii U version was great. I found carrying one item upped the tension when you are in first place.

And gives you no chance to catch up when you get blue shelled, triple red shelled, and then lightninged on the first lap. That's what I really hated, not being able to catch back up when you get screwed early on.

Oct 13 at 4:55:54 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
No it doesn't count! It's pretty much the same game that came out five years ago on the previous platform! There's hardly anything really "deluxe" at all   I guess this also means we won't get a true New (2D) Super Mario Bros game for the Switch?   I'm sure glad we're at least getting a new Zelda game on the Switch...at this rate I was half-expecting they'd say BotW was already "good enough" and the Switch didn't need a Zelda game! On that note I hope with the success of the Link's Awakening remake the Oracles will soon follow (I'm really looking forward to seeing what they'll be like done the same way Link's Awakening on the Switch was done).

And I'm also looking forward to seeing what the Switch Pro will be like in 2020...I know most everyone seems to love the Switch Lite but I've never liked using portables as portables (that is, actually taking them with me) because I'm always afraid of losing or dropping or wrecking it or WORSE, losing the game cartridge and ALL the progress you made on that game (since unlike disc games, you can't backup saves on spare memory cards)!! So I really want to see what the (presumably) home console only Switch Pro version will bring to the table.

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 13 at 5:18:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

No it doesn't count! It's pretty much the same game that came out five years ago on the previous platform! There's hardly anything really "deluxe" at all

Blame everyone still buying it. No way Nintendo announces a new Mario Kart when this one still sells and makes them a profit.

Oct 13 at 6:25:19 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

I guess this also means we won't get a true New (2D) Super Mario Bros  
Now you're catching on.

Oct 13 at 10:44:57 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Well I for one am hoping for a new Mario Kart on the Switch. Just gold ol' Mario Kart 9. Or if not that, then create some new courses/circuits for MK8 and sell it as DLC. Just gimme somethin' new, and not this phone crap!

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"