Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

HELP!! Street Fighter II arcade cab sound issue

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:46:46 PM
Zpappas (0)

(Zach Pappas) < Cherub >
United States
Hey guys, first time poster. I just picked up this cab for $300 and it was working perfectly until I set it up in my garage. On the first fight the sound cut out and now it doesn't work! The video and everything else is perfect but no sound. I know absolutely nothing about cabs so if anyone has any suggestions fire away! I think maybe the connection between the board and the speaker simply loosened up during transport and it's as simple as plugging it back but I don't even know how to access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  Z        

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:18:35 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Open the back of the cabinet, obviously. Just reseat connectors and crap until maybe it works. Also run system diagnostics.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:27:13 PM
Zpappas (0)

(Zach Pappas) < Cherub >
United States
Ok yeah I got the back open. How do you run system diagnostics?? I ran the test menu and there was an option for sound but all it was was to play sound effects.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:44:17 PM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
You need someone physically there to help you. It's impractical to try and troubleshoot via forum guesses. You'd end up having to either video tape or photograph inside the cabinet at various locations like the speaker, the wire harness, and the PCB itself.

For now, you might want to take the wires going to the speaker and hook them up to a new speaker just to see if that's the problem. If that doesn't work, then you work your way down the wires until you get to the board harness to check all those connections.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 09:44 PM by Firebrandx

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:01:06 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
Yep, just follow the wires down from the speakers to the PCB harness, something probably just came loose. The backs on those Z backs are really strange, I think just that one short panel comes off of the back. If you can unlatch the control panel, you'll have an easier time getting to the harness and everything that way.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:20:34 AM
ChuChu Flamingo (7)
(Mr ChuChu) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
If it isn't a connection issue the z80 sound chip is most likely dead.

-------------------------

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:59:29 AM
Zpappas (0)

(Zach Pappas) < Cherub >
United States
Ok thanks for the advice guys. Actually out of nowhere the sound came back on so it must just be a loose connection. I traced the speaker wires from the top of the cabinet to the motherboard and didn't see anything loose or torn so I'm just gonna hope for the best.

BTW how much do these usually go for? It appears to have all the original art and everything is in excellent condition aside from the sound issue.