Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Advice on New MP3 Player My Zune Died

Oct 11 at 8:05:14 AM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
I'm looking around and don't see many options besides iPod touch and a bunch of Chinese players off Amazon. I don't want to get into an iPod or "just use my phone". I'm thinking under $100 and used is fine as long as it plays nice with Windows 10 (which Zune never did).

Oct 11 at 8:21:11 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Why don't you want to use your phone? Way better than any mp3 player I had back in the day. Plays nice with windows too. (Android anyway.)

-------------------------

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 08:21 AM by JamesRobot

Oct 11 at 8:59:31 AM
TrekMD (13)
(Eugenio ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I did not think there were many options but there seem to be plenty. I ran a search in Amazon and found this one that has good ratings. It has 32 GB of memory but you can expand up to 128 GB with an SD card. Have a look: https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetoot...

Going to the final frontier, gaming....

Oct 11 at 9:49:47 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
A cheap Android phone with an SD card slot is what I would do. Motorola has some really cheap stuff and could just use it on wifi. My experience with anything but an iPod has been underwhelming.

Oct 11 at 10:40:10 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Just get an iPhone or Android phone.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 10:40 AM by tbone3969

Oct 11 at 10:55:53 AM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
I'd pick one that is Rockbox compatible, Rockbox is a replacement firmware that enhances functionality, I had a cheap SanDisk Sansa Clip+ and together with the Rockbox firmware it was awesome, it could play just about any file format including NSF.

Oct 11 at 11:49:09 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I still use my ipod video from 2006, about the only true great product Apple ever made. The screen is cracked and itunes sucked, but that thing is great. Its really hard to find good mp3 players for a fair price, I woukd suggest an old phone with a bigger card. I use spotify for everything now, so a phone would work for that too

SW-6786-5095-2210

Oct 11 at 12:00:36 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I know you said you didn't want a phone but, just to be clear, you can get a "nice" 4-5 year old phone and just not connect it to a cellular service. It'll have integrated WiFi so, yeah, streaming could be an option if you want that too.

I'm sure there are decent MP3 players out there, but so many features that were once single-devices have migrated to phones, there's no reason to not get an "old" phone in good shape and repurpose it.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 11 at 12:27:38 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Abelardo

I'd pick one that is Rockbox compatible, Rockbox is a replacement firmware that enhances functionality, I had a cheap SanDisk Sansa Clip+ and together with the Rockbox firmware it was awesome, it could play just about any file format including NSF.

YES I remember Rockbox! You could even install a Game Boy emulator on there, I played through half of Link's Awakening using a rotary dial to go left and right, lol

Oct 11 at 3:48:03 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I get the dedicated device thing. You want it to do one thing and do it well. That's why not to get a phone. Also, better battery life without all the extra shit.

When I get around to replacing my iPod 5G I'm going to get something by FiiO. They have a variety of models. Here are some reviews:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-...
https://www.thephonograph.net/fii...
https://headfonics.com/2019/05/fi...

Here's their website
https://www.fiio.com/player...

Oct 12 at 3:41:27 AM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
If it weren't for playing FLAC files, I would still keep another device for music on me. My old favorite was the Creative Nomad/Zen models. I had a Zune but holy shit the battery life was garbage.

I would look into a Sony Walkman for music if I had one choice, not sure how well they work with new Windows though.  

Oct 12 at 7:03:54 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I'm with OP I don't like using phones for music. I also don't stream music I don't have the data plan for it. I would suggest finding a cheap used ipod above the 5th gen i think it is. I have the first gen ipod video which i think is 5th gen. Took out the hard drive and stuck in an sd card adapter which I don't think has a limit to size. The only issue with anything below a gen 6 is you have to download the older version of itunes as later updates broke compatibility

edit: also finding replacement parts for ipods screen/front and back case/battery. Pretty much every piece is readily available and cheap

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 07:05 AM by leatherrebel5150

Oct 12 at 11:16:23 AM
sidewinderl (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Missouri
I've had a FiiO X1 (1st gen) for 4 years, and my only complaint was that the wheel sensitivity had become a bit janky, but I just fixed it with a firmware update. I assume it works fine with Win 10.

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 11:16 AM by sidewinderl

Oct 12 at 12:07:57 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I had a 1GB creative muvo TX fm (only needed one AAA battery) and still have my 32 GB zune hd. In the process of moving everything over to my phone.

Haves     |     Wants

Oct 12 at 2:09:47 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
You don't need a data plan for a music streaming service, I have Spotify playlists on my phone and I just click the button to download the playlist. Then when I'm driving in my car, I play the thousands of songs from the playlist without using any data at all. They're all downloaded.

Oct 12 at 2:45:29 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Old phone and sd card

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Oct 12 at 2:49:57 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: bootload

You don't need a data plan for a music streaming service, I have Spotify playlists on my phone and I just click the button to download the playlist. Then when I'm driving in my car, I play the thousands of songs from the playlist without using any data at all. They're all downloaded.
This. I download all the songs I want on WiFi and I turn off cellular for the Spotify app. Spotify has an enormous library as well well worth I think the $10 I pay a month. 

Oct 12 at 3:43:07 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
I bought an old ipod touch 2nd gen for 30 bucks on eBay. Does the job with no issue. I use it only for music. I get about 10 hours of battery life from a full charge.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 12 at 4:59:08 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Originally posted by: bootload

This. I download all the songs I want on WiFi and I turn off cellular for the Spotify app. Spotify has an enormous library as well well worth I think the $10 I pay a month. 

Fair enough, but I still wouldn't use my phone not nearly enough room on it and I just prefer a dedicated device. 

Oct 12 at 5:18:24 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
I mean cmon guy you can get a great deal on a 29TB iPhone for the nominal price of $2,500 dollars or juuuusssttt $87 dollars a month for the rest of your life!

Sarcasm lol

Oct 12 at 5:42:43 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
I've used a Sandisk Clip for years. Its simple, basic, cheap... but works awesome and the battery last forever. If you don't want to use your phone and you want something that simple (drag and drop for adding music/podcasts) then it really cant be beat. Great for workouts, doing stuff around the house, ect.

This guy here:  https://www.sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-jam    and hey $25 bucks.  

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 05:49 PM by NintendoTwizer

Oct 13 at 11:31:23 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

I've used a Sandisk Clip for years. Its simple, basic, cheap... but works awesome and the battery last forever. If you don't want to use your phone and you want something that simple (drag and drop for adding music/podcasts) then it really cant be beat. Great for workouts, doing stuff around the house, ect.

This guy here:  https://www.sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-jam    and hey $25 bucks.  

I just sold one of these and was surprised it went so quickly. It's a very desirable mp3 players.