Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hurricane Dorian Fun time here in Florida, eh?

Aug 30 at 10:32:36 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Hopefully it stays weak.

Other random hurricane question- isn't it pretty late in the year to only have 4 named storms so far (with I think a fifth one shortly behind it)?

Damn good question.

Global Warming? lol

Naw, I don't know.  I'm not a meteorologist, but my biggest guess is us being on a peninsula surrounded by water (which gives it strength) with the mixture of various temps from both the north and the south. It's always been a constant battle ground for nature no matter how late to the game.

Now if it happens in December, then yeah-- I'm going with global warming. lol

Where's that armchair NA meteorologist when you need him?

I did see in an article that Atlantic hurricane season is from now through October, so I guess I got my wires crossed with tornado season.   When we got bits of hurricane Ike way back when, that was sometime in September.

Still "chasing" hurricanes 🙄
Just don’t ride past stop signs at 70mph. You might kill someone like the weather channel did last year 

Aug 30 at 10:57:43 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Hopefully it stays weak.

Other random hurricane question- isn't it pretty late in the year to only have 4 named storms so far (with I think a fifth one shortly behind it)?

Damn good question.

Global Warming? lol

Naw, I don't know.  I'm not a meteorologist, but my biggest guess is us being on a peninsula surrounded by water (which gives it strength) with the mixture of various temps from both the north and the south. It's always been a constant battle ground for nature no matter how late to the game.

Now if it happens in December, then yeah-- I'm going with global warming. lol

Where's that armchair NA meteorologist when you need him?

I did see in an article that Atlantic hurricane season is from now through October, so I guess I got my wires crossed with tornado season.   When we got bits of hurricane Ike way back when, that was sometime in September.

We've been clobbered by Atlantic storms as late as mid-November, so the official season is more of a suggestion than a rule.

Well yeah, and we had a tornado tear through in early March.

But I thought the "season" itself was more Summer than Fall.

Aug 30 at 11:13:41 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: AndysGoodArm

Originally posted by: AndysGoodArm

Originally posted by: Richardhead

Never been through a hurricane. Sounds scary. Stay safe all.
Too bad some people have to be rude about you living there and saying that they'd just move. Home is home.
Again, stay safe and keep us posted if you can.

Richard I just said "I" would move, there was nothing directed at him whatsoever...Just stop.

Don't worry, I'm not offended by it even if it was directed toward me. In fact, I'd love to move simply due to the fact that I've never really been out of Florida in my entire life.

Moving isn't too easy for me as I'm not financailly able to, also there's natural disasters nearly everywhere. If not those, then probably something else far worse than what I'm used to.
The Great White North will protect ya!

Canada still has floods and blizzards and stuff tho, don't they? And wild moose. lol

-------------------------

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Aug 30 at 11:24:30 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Good luck everyone. Hope all the Penguins can swim.

Went through Harvey a couple years ago. Not fun.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Aug 30 at 12:22:08 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Yeah, every place has its thing. I live in a place where there are no hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. Or wind at any speed. Or any rain at all. Or any clouds. Or water in any form. Only extreme, soul-crushing heat. But we're almost through it!

And any place where nature doesn't actively try to kill its inhabitants, it costs an insane amount of cash to live there.

Stay safe and get one of those water bottles that filters yucky water as you drink it!

Aug 30 at 1:07:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Splain

And any place where nature doesn't actively try to kill its inhabitants, it costs an insane amount of cash to live there.

In LA, we get both.  

Aug 30 at 1:37:25 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Yeah, every place has its thing. I live in a place where there are no hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. Or wind at any speed. Or any rain at all. Or any clouds. Or water in any form. Only extreme, soul-crushing heat. But we're almost through it!

Stay safe and get one of those water bottles that filters yucky water as you drink it!

Yes, but don't you have the coolest name storms ever, the HABOOBS?

Aug 30 at 2:18:28 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Yes, but don't you have the coolest name storms ever, the HABOOBS?

Lol yep! We actually had a small haboob a couple days ago in the east valley. Hopefully more soon, need that water.

Aug 30 at 8:34:17 PM
TrekMD (13)
(Eugenio ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
The hurricane season starts June 1st and ends November 30.

Going to the final frontier, gaming....

Aug 31 at 12:43:38 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I'm loving that the new track shows that my town is out of the cone of uncertainty! I don't think it will be too bad over here on the west coast of Florida.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Aug 31 at 3:22:17 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Now it's a 5 apparently? I sure hope and pray as many people as possible got the heck out of the way. Where I'm from we've had a few notable tornadoes over the years though.

Actually a thought just occured to me, what about people who live on islands like in Puerto Rico or the Bahamas or something?  What are they supposed to do?  They can't evacuate anywhere!

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 08/31/2019 at 03:25 PM by Estil

Aug 31 at 3:27:07 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Estil

Now it's a 5 apparently? I sure hope and pray as many people as possible got the heck out of the way. Where I'm from we've had a few notable tornadoes over the years though.

Actually a thought just occured to me, what about people who live on islands like in Puerto Rico or the Bahamas or something?  What are they supposed to do?  They can't evacuate anywhere!

Source?

Last advisory it was 150 mph. Cat 5 is 156 mph. Next advisory is in an hour and a half.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 08/31/2019 at 03:27 PM by Mega Tank

Aug 31 at 3:34:04 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida
Originally posted by: Penguin

I'm loving that the new track shows that my town is out of the cone of uncertainty! I don't think it will be too bad over here on the west coast of Florida.
I live in central Polk, so it might scrape us a bit. I hope it doesn't get any worse than that. The Bahamas may be spared.

Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...

Aug 31 at 6:21:37 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Meanwhile, FEMA funds get diverted to the wall...

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Sep 01 at 1:14:44 AM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona

Are you forgetting the flash floods?

I'm constantly telling non-natives not to go near certain roads or washes during storms....but NOPE. 

Sep 01 at 3:42:32 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
That's the main problem with the whole Category 1-5 thing (and E0-E5 scale for tornadoes for that matter)...it only counts wind speed. Indeed there are other factors such as flooding and speed of storm (and YES hurricanes can sometimes produce a tornado as well!) that can make things just as bad if not worse.

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Sep 01 at 9:54:29 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
As of 8:00AM, 175MPH winds and is a rather certain Cat-5. Passing by the Bahamas soon. May God bless and protect them all, but hopefully they've evacuated.

The good news for most is that the newly projected path have it mostly staying out to see with the edges of heavy rain hitting the coast of the Carolinas.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 01 at 4:52:04 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida
Classic pic, appropriate mood:

Sep 06 at 9:34:10 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
We're getting smacked by this bitch tomorrow in NS. Tracking right over the house as a cat-2 with the current track. Well above sea level so just concerns about the wind and rainfall.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 10 at 12:57:22 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
Got to love mother nature at its best

Sep 10 at 8:09:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
How did you fare up in Canada?

We (Hampton, VA) lucked out and stayed just outside of the tropical storm force winds as it came by.
But further south of us, the outer banks of NC were crushed.

Sep 10 at 8:30:16 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Didn't get anything in CT from it (at least eastern CT). Hope everyone affected made it out okay.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Sep 11 at 8:26:32 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

We (Hampton, VA) lucked out and stayed just outside of the tropical storm force winds as it came by.

A lot of power outages and some damage along the coast with local flooding but nothing overly significant (no deaths or major injuries as far as I know). It was pretty powerful but absolutely nothing compared to hurricane Juan a while back (2003). Came through Saturday afternoon and pretty much everything is back to normal and looking cleaned up minus a few lingering power outages.

Sep 11 at 8:30:21 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

A lot of power outages and some damage along the coast with local flooding but nothing overly significant (no deaths or major injuries as far as I know). It was pretty powerful but absolutely nothing compared to hurricane Juan a while back (2003). Came through Saturday afternoon and pretty much everything is back to normal and looking cleaned up minus a few lingering power outages.
Glad to hear it.

When I saw it was going to be a full-blown hurricane when it made landfall up there, seemed like it might be something that the local infrastructure wasn't designed to handle given what I assumed was the relative rarity of storms that strong making it that far north.

(structurual-code-wise, by the time you reach VA in the mid-Atlantic, code requirements only build to category 1 sustained winds -- would have imagined that was the baseline for points north, as well)

Edited: 09/11/2019 at 08:31 AM by arch_8ngel

Sep 11 at 8:52:24 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Glad to hear it.

When I saw it was going to be a full-blown hurricane when it made landfall up there, seemed like it might be something that the local infrastructure wasn't designed to handle given what I assumed was the relative rarity of storms that strong making it that far north.

(structurual-code-wise, by the time you reach VA in the mid-Atlantic, code requirements only build to category 1 sustained winds -- would have imagined that was the baseline for points north, as well)

We get very strong winds in the winter, often at or near hurricane strength, but it's a little different when there is no foliage/leaves on the trees. Our biggest issue up here are the trees that sit between the road and sidewalk - very big with little to hold on to so they go down and take the power lines with them. It's not very often we get winds that strong outside of the main winter months (jan-march) so when it happens in the summer it's definitely more eventful (as well with camping and marinas in business etc.).