Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Castlevania III full audio question Whats the best way to play with full audio?

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:37:27 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
So I want to play and hopefully beat Castlevania III.  I recently got an AVS and I have the US Castlevania III cart, however, I want to play the game with full audio.  What's the best way to do this?  I was thinking of importing the Japaense version. It seems I can get it CIB for roughly $150 on eBay.  Now I believe that with the Japenese vesion I will get full audio through the AVS, however, the text will not be in English.  Anouther option could be to get an Everdrive.  Are there English patched roms out there of the Japaenese version that offers the full audio?  TIA

-------------------------
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:49:18 AM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
You'll have to research if the Everdrive supports the expansion audio from the VRC6 mapper the game uses

OR

You'll need to have your Famicom import modified with a EPROM with the patched translation of the game (keep the original maskrom so it can always be returned to factory)

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:14:10 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: AaronE

You'll have to research if the Everdrive supports the expansion audio from the VRC6 mapper the game uses

OR

You'll need to have your Famicom import modified with a EPROM with the patched translation of the game (keep the original maskrom so it can always be returned to factory)
From the research I have done it seems the Everdrive does support the VRC6 mapper.  Looks like I am gonna go with the Everdrive option.  Thank you.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:46:55 PM
scottmog (32)
(scott haefele) < El Ripper >
California
I actaully am selling the famicom versions of castlevania 3 and contra in nes shells. The only mod you need to do to your NES is a single resistor. Send me a pm, maybe we can work something out.

Garbage modders: Crayola_the_crayon_king, OGHugo, Drakon

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:31:20 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: scottmog

I actaully am selling the famicom versions of castlevania 3 and contra in nes shells. The only mod you need to do to your NES is a single resistor. Send me a pm, maybe we can work something out.
Pm coming.  I have a RetroUSB AVS so no modding needed as far as I know.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:01:20 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
I'm pretty sure there is a lot more changes than just the audio for the Famicom CVIII. I recall the US version being much harder.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:04:11 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: pegboy

I'm pretty sure there is a lot more changes than just the audio for the Famicom CVIII. I recall the US version being much harder.
This is true....US version is indeed more difficult.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:12:20 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I would still consider an everdrive because there are other games you can play with expansion audio like gimmick. Not to mention all the other countless games you can play.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:36:29 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Originally posted by: ginoscope

I would still consider an everdrive because there are other games you can play with expansion audio like gimmick. Not to mention all the other countless games you can play.

I would not recommend an ED purely for the expansion audio games. Most of them aren't properly supported (including the game you mentioned).

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:52:24 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
I have no idea what "full audio" for Castlevania even means.... anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm interested.... did the Famicom version have different audio?

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:54:38 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: AirVillain

I have no idea what "full audio" for Castlevania even means.... anyone care to enlighten me?

Yes it had different audio. The FC version used a VRC6 mapper which has expansion sound that the NES version didn't have

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:58:07 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: AirVillain

Yes it had different audio. The FC version used a VRC6 mapper which has expansion sound that the NES version didn't have
Whoa mama, that's cool.

See? You learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the heads up!

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 07:58 PM by AirVillain

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:00:10 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:01:02 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Yelir

Originally posted by: ginoscope

I would not recommend an ED purely for the expansion audio games. Most of them aren't properly supported (including the game you mentioned).

Funny because I can play gimmick on my everdrive just fine using a custom mapper.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:07:07 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Gimmick's audio has been corrected to near-perfect thanks to that custom mapper for the Everdrive, can confirm.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:11:49 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Bratwurst

Gimmick's audio has been corrected to near-perfect thanks to that custom mapper for the Everdrive, can confirm.
When did the update to the OS release? Can you link me to some info?  

For reference in my search, the last talk of expansion audio support is around May 2013, and that confirms that the Sunsoft 5b chip is not accurately emulated!

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 09:15 PM by Yelir

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:22:39 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Look for Necronomfive gimmick / 069.RBF on the everdrive forums. If the download links are dead just ask in the Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio? thread.

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.ph...

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:13:06 PM
kbob25 (0)
< Cherub >
The Japanese version of CV3 does not work for the AVS with my Everdrive. Not sure what else I can do to get it to work. I just get a gray screen.

Thinking of buying the Japanese cart so I can experience the awesomeness of the music. Has anyone tried using the game genie or pro action replay codes with the AVS for this cart? Do any of the codes work?

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:17:06 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: kbob25

The Japanese version of CV3 does not work for the AVS with my Everdrive. Not sure what else I can do to get it to work. I just get a gray screen.

Thinking of buying the Japanese cart so I can experience the awesomeness of the music. Has anyone tried using the game genie or pro action replay codes with the AVS for this cart? Do any of the codes work?
Odd, it works fine for other people.

Typical EverDrive trouble shooting steps are: copy roms to computer, format SD card, reinstall OS from a fresh download from krikzz, install newly downloaded OS, and lastly either copy roms back over OR download a new set of roms (others have recommended the smokemonster rom set)

Related: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43:00 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah

Originally posted by: kbob25

Odd, it works fine for other people.

Typical EverDrive trouble shooting steps are: copy roms to computer, format SD card, reinstall OS from a fresh download from krikzz, install newly downloaded OS, and lastly either copy roms back over OR download a new set of roms (others have recommended the smokemonster rom set)

Related: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&t...

Working fine here. Make sure you have updated your firmware to 1.20b6. There are issues with compatibility on other firmwares that I encountered.

Reformat and reload everything fresh to the sd card. (no copying files to the computer and back again) 

Use the smokemonster everdrive pack from the epforums. It works great on my setup.

Edited: 10/27/2016 at 09:43 PM by TheCavalry