Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

RetroUSB AVS Initial Impressions

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:34:18 AM
Trojanarius (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
I feel like I'm going to break my NES cartridge each time I insert it into and withdraw it from my AVS. It's, like, way too tight. I wouldn't even want my prom date to be that tight. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:47:56 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Its not that tight. You must have never experienced a new 72 pin death grip.

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:04:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Trojanarius

I feel like I'm going to break my NES cartridge each time I insert it into and withdraw it from my AVS. It's, like, way too tight. I wouldn't even want my prom date to be that tight. Anyone else experiencing this?
It gripped my Life Force cart tight, but that game had a slightly thicker PCB that also was tight in my NOAC clone consoles. It loosened a bit after a few times.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:19:48 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
Originally posted by: Kamina

So I got mine in yesterday, and its absolutely wonderful. However, I'm facing an odd issue regarding expansion audio.

When I test any games from my Powerpak with the extra audio channels, some work and some don't. For example, Doki Doki Panic and Metroid for DDS work perfectly fine. However, Gimmick and Akumajou Dracula won't give the extra audio channels no matter how high the setting is. I've tried several times, with several ROMs, to no avail. It's worth noting I'm using all the latest Power mappers and such. Any help would be appreciated, I was really excited to play Gimmick in 720 but it doesn't feel right with audio missing. EDIT: also, I did in fact update the systems firmware to the latest 1.10

Doki Doki and Metroid use different mappers than Akumajo Densetsu and Gimmick. I'm not as familiar with the powerpak as I am with the Everdrive, but it sounds like you need to change or add some mapper support for these titles.

Akumajo Densetsu uses the Konami VRC6 mapper. Gimmick uses the Sunsoft 5B mapper.

Fix these mappers and you should fix your audio. You may have to download unofficial or custom mappers as I don't know if they are fully supported on the powerpak through a normal update. On Everdrive to get the sound right you have to use unofficial mappers that are in a stickied post on the Everdrive N8 forum.