Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

You and your friends are dead. Game over. Friday the 13th NES.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:21:20 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
When I was a kid and had no games of my own, I used to borrow this from my cousin. Played it a lot, but never really ever got close to beating it.
Fast forward 20 some years and well, I still enjoy the game. I decided that I would sit down and finish Jason off finally.
No such luck so far. Fighting Jason on day 3 is worse than fighting Mike Tyson.

-------------------------
Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:43:33 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Never played it,but I don't hear good things about it. Lol.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:45:08 PM
Nintegrity (20)
(Nintendo Purist) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I hope to beat this game someday. Its on my bucket list along with another several hundred nes games

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:54:14 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Originally posted by: gutsman004

It gets a lot of hate for having an LJN logo on it, but if you give it chance, it really is a quality game.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:57:07 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
It is definitely on the list of games I hope to beat someday... but yeah, this game is intense.

I am pretty sure Braveheart has beaten it with everybody left alive! It's his favorite game, though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:22:21 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Yeah, I have yet to beat the game myself. Would like to! I don't think it's as bad as others say it is. A bit repetitive but otherwise, it's alright.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:26:08 PM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Originally posted by: 0xero0

It gets a lot of hate for having an LJN logo on it, but if you give it chance, it really is a quality game.
Damn right! The overall aesthetic of the game still holds up.... beyond the 80's realease date and rainbow LJN logo. Beating Pam Voorhees is a beeyatch! Nightmare on Elm Street isn't bad either. James Rolfe has fostered LJN hate with the younger audience. I'm over all that nonsense. The game is decent.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:00:12 PM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
I actually prefer fighting him on day 3 as opposed to day 2. On day 2 he's switches between turbo mode and normal mode, whereas in day 3 he's always in turbo mode so he's more predictable. It takes pretty good timing to be able to dodge both blows and still land a hit or two, but once you get the timing down it's not too bad. Just make sure that by the time day 3 rolls around you have at least one counselor with either the torch or pitchfork (usually Mark or Crissy since all the other counselors pale in comparison to these two), and a handful of potions. The sweater if you want it, but I never get it, myself. Then you go Jason hunting. Fight him on the footpath as much as possible because he's easier there, and with a torch/pitchfork you can just wreck him.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it goes without saying that I, too, this game.

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 08:00 PM by WolfAlmighty

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:15:32 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Well I did it. Just barely. Had 2 people left. 1 more hit would have killed each of them. I had 1 character with a torch and the sweater and another with a torch that I passed around before dying whenever possible.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:55:43 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I rented it as a kid and I really didn't care for it. Maybe some time I'll have to give it another chance. There have been other games that I didn't like as a kid that I've changed my mind about after playing them again.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:23:11 PM
Otter (73)
(T Otter) < King Solomon >
Washington
You may all think you've killed Jason but cmon everybody knows......nothing this evil ever dies!!!!

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:29:06 PM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
The game is definitely decent, as are many LJN games (Nightmare on Elm St, Jaws, the Punisher, Beetlejuice). I have beaten it, and the worst part about it are the mazes in the forest and cave areas. But the other parts around Crystal Lake I find very fun.

If Braveheart really did beat the game with everyone alive that is incredibly impressive. The one time I beat it I was down to my last camper.

AVGN definitely gave this, and other LJN games, a much worse rap than they deserve.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:34:21 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It is definitely on the list of games I hope to beat someday... but yeah, this game is intense.

I am pretty sure Braveheart has beaten it with everybody left alive!

Doesn't he know there can only be 1 left alive? That's how the movies are at least.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:36:01 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I've never finished Jason's third form. It's so damn fast, it seems almost impossible.

| gameplay and talk |

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:11:23 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: 0xero0

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I am pretty sure Braveheart has beaten it with everybody left alive!

Doesn't he know there can only be 1 left alive? That's how the movies are at least.

Well, usually 1, or sometimes 2!

I'm curious though, was it worth the effort?

It's somewhere on my ever-growing backlog of too many damn games to get to.

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:12:47 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Completely worth it. Really feels like an accomplishment.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:05:16 AM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
The worst part is the left/right mapping thing.
If you can figure that out, it's not that bad.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:32:25 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
I actually still really enjoy this game, and I grew up playing it with friends. We could never beat it without the use of a Game Genie; I think I've beaten it once or twice straight through with no assistance.

Damn, now I want to pop in this cart lol.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:47:26 AM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Once you learn how the game triggers various events and weapon drops, it's actually one of the easiest games to complete. My brother completed it in 4 minutes flat (including all 3 days).

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:48:56 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Love this game! This was one of the handful of games i owned as a kid and yes its in my sights to beat it. Jason always scared the crap outta me when i was little. Still does when he suddenly appears lol. I want to try and beat all the games i owned as kid. So far i knocked out battletoads. Still have this one, little nemo, and rampage to beat.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:55:26 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
One of my favorite games. The real key is to get the fastest three characters loaded up with torches lighting up the fireplaces on the first two days all the while gathering as much medicine jars from the woods and caves as you can early. The other characters are good defense to help out and you'll end up getting machetes for them as well if you kill enough zombies. After the second day, Jason is way too fucking fast to take out consistanly in the cabins so the idea is, you want to draw him out and fight him 2D style, he'll leave after enough damage and just follow the trail after him, usually, you can get a few chances to wipe his ass out that way and beat the game. Honestly, if he attacks the cabin of kids near the lake, that's a death trap to go in there and rescue them, sacrifice a few of the children and wait for him to attack one of the camp counselors again. Simply warp to the house he's attacking and head outside.

I can beat this game pretty consistanly with all the camp teens alive but it's damn near if not impossible to save all the children. Anyways, I love this game and the best advice I can give is to avoid fighting Jason's mother for the sweater or pitchfork, I never found it needed or worth it to get those items and fight her on the second or third day. Fuck, I love me some Friday the 13th.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:20:22 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I can beat it pretty quickly as well. It makes me happy to know that people are actually giving it a chance, and not just taking AVGN's word for it.

It's amazing how some games turn out to be great when you give them a chance.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:23:30 AM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Damn, now I really want to play some Friday the 13th.

I had this game growing up, but I think I only ever beat it once, if at all. Never made a serious attempt to beat it since childhood, so I think it is time for me to bust it out again.

For sale/trade.  Want to trade for.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:47:05 PM
littlesamson (9)
(Bobby Hash) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Ah so many memories with this game. It is true if you understand the game triggers that the game can beat extremely fast. I remember beating this a few times - the ending was such a disappointment : / .

One day.. I shall complete my NES collection.

607/768 carts

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:58:23 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Does anyone have a CIB copy of this game that they'd be willing to sell/trade for? I REALLY want it for my collection!

This thread has sparked so many good memories of playing this game late into the evening with my friends. I remember taking breaks and formulating strategies on how to defeat Jason lmao. Those were the days.