Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Dragon Spirit Contest ends Sunday, 12/14/14 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:11:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Accidentally posted this link in the bomberman thread

-------------------------

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:59:48 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Going to hop on this after work!

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:57:08 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I'm guts,please welcome me. 

Welcome back! Fantasy football season is over already?

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:11:07 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Only died once before stage 9. (stage 6) Lost my last life on the bridge leading to the final boss. Got hit by fireball debris. Rats.... Will have to wait until thursday to try again so this will do for now.

That is where having the trio really comes in handy.

If you can avoid getting hit, the trio is "better" because you have a wider range of fire and a smaller hit profile.

If you MIGHT get hit, the 3 headed dragon is better, since you only lose one head at a time.
Also, the 3-headed guy has more concentrated firepower, compared with the trio.

I need to brush up, since I used to be able to secure a 3-headed green dragon on Level 1 and then maintain for the entire game

Just meant I'm not a fan of those trio of stages....5,6,& 9.

Originally posted by: BriGuy82

I'm guts,please welcome me. 

Welcome back! Fantasy football season is over already?

Almost. What I was really doing during my hiatus was playing daily fantasy football on Draftkings and Fanduel. I wanted to see if I put more effort into it if I could win a big tournament. Didn't really work out. Learned a lot though. While there are games through the entire regular season and most of the playoffs,I've already used up the money I allocated for it so I'm done. Maybe I'll try again next year.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:12:54 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Only died once before stage 9. (stage 6) Lost my last life on the bridge leading to the final boss. Got hit by fireball debris. Rats.... Will have to wait until thursday to try again so this will do for now.

That is where having the trio really comes in handy.

If you can avoid getting hit, the trio is "better" because you have a wider range of fire and a smaller hit profile.

If you MIGHT get hit, the 3 headed dragon is better, since you only lose one head at a time.
Also, the 3-headed guy has more concentrated firepower, compared with the trio.

I need to brush up, since I used to be able to secure a 3-headed green dragon on Level 1 and then maintain for the entire game

Just meant I'm not a fan of those trio of stages....5,6,& 9.

Ha!  That makes more sense, I guess.

I thought you were talking about the small dragon plus the mini dragons.
I have no idea what the proper in-game power up is called, but "trio" seemed to fit.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:37:41 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^Lol,yeah. When I first started playing,I usually just grabbed whatever power ups I came across (minus the bad one) although now I'm more selective. Most stages it doesn't matter too much,although I like having the white dragon and its' spread fire for stages 5 and 8.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:56:51 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

^Lol,yeah. When I first started playing,I usually just grabbed whatever power ups I came across (minus the bad one) although now I'm more selective. Most stages it doesn't matter too much,although I like having the white dragon and its' spread fire for stages 5 and 8.
I've honestly never bothered with the white dragon, because I loved the concentrated firepower of the green dragon.

But I'm having second thoughts.  I might try to get a trio or three-header with a powered-up white dragon to get the better spread coverage.

Also, it looks like there is some power up that is worth 1000 pts each, and a number of ground enemies may score in that range, so that might be where your score jump was coming from.

Score-wise, it seems like you want to hit EVERYTHING on the ground, even if it means missing some arial enemies.  (and remember to kill the apparently invincible web generators on the cave level -- even at full power they take awhile)

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:22:19 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Does this game loop or not?

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:32:44 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
No its got an ending.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:33:27 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: pegboy

Does this game loop or not?

No.  It is one-and-done.

Pretty easy by arcade shooter standards, as well.

Planning to grace us with your shooter skills?

Edited: 12/08/2014 at 04:29 PM by arch_8ngel

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:13:40 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I've honestly never bothered with the white dragon, because I loved the concentrated firepower of the green dragon.

But I'm having second thoughts.  I might try to get a trio or three-header with a powered-up white dragon to get the better spread coverage.

Also, it looks like there is some power up that is worth 1000 pts each, and a number of ground enemies may score in that range, so that might be where your score jump was coming from.

Score-wise, it seems like you want to hit EVERYTHING on the ground, even if it means missing some arial enemies.  (and remember to kill the apparently invincible web generators on the cave level -- even at full power they take awhile)

The green dragon's powerful attack is awesome,but for 5 and 8 I like the white dragon. It's super useful in stage 5 so you can not worry as much about enemies and can concentrate more on maneuvering. I like it in stage 8 as well because the spread fire helps me know where the spikes are when it goes dark.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:16:19 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yeah I tried stage 8 a little while ago with the white dragon and it was definitely nice for keeping the path clear.

Bosses with the green dragon are the way to go, though. They just melt into a pile of sludge in seconds.

My point estimates were wrong, though, since I think they were from the arcade game.
I've definitely seen the "point item" giving 10k on this version.

Also, big bummer, the item distribution has some kind of either randomization, or set cycling (where if you die, some enemy items are something different on subsequent attempts)

Might throw a wrench in an absolute way to shatter the record, in terms of some of it being up to luck rather than skill/strategy.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:50:14 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Yeah I tried stage 8 a little while ago with the white dragon and it was definitely nice for keeping the path clear.

Bosses with the green dragon are the way to go, though. They just melt into a pile of sludge in seconds.

My point estimates were wrong, though, since I think they were from the arcade game.
I've definitely seen the "point item" giving 10k on this version.

Also, big bummer, the item distribution has some kind of either randomization, or set cycling (where if you die, some enemy items are something different on subsequent attempts)

Might throw a wrench in an absolute way to shatter the record, in terms of some of it being up to luck rather than skill/strategy.

Makes sense on the bonuses,as there have been times I've looked up at my score in stage 1 and was like,where did I get all those points?

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:51:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Makes sense on the bonuses,as there have been times I've looked up at my score in stage 1 and was like,where did I get all those points?
yeah, the white icon with blue "wings" or squiggles is worth a ton.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:07:03 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

487,660 (Game Complete)

Edited: 12/12/2014 at 11:21 PM by BriGuy82

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:20:01 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Picked up a copy of this game at a yard sale this past summer, glad that I can put it to use. I'm kinda weak when it comes to shooters even though I really enjoy them (favorites are Stinger and Captain Skyhawk), hopefully I can put up a half-way decent score this week.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:59:55 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Picked up a copy of this game at a yard sale this past summer, glad that I can put it to use. I'm kinda weak when it comes to shooters even though I really enjoy them (favorites are Stinger and Captain Skyhawk), hopefully I can put up a half-way decent score this week.
You should get the hang of this in no time.

Edited: 12/09/2014 at 09:00 AM by arch_8ngel

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:27:46 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
 Making Progress - Stage 5 - 112,180

Edited: 12/10/2014 at 09:37 PM by Silent Hill

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:55:31 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

The first step for me is just to figure what the power up scheme is... Question: Say you are powered up with the three headed green dragon and then you get that awesome pink temporary dragon, do you revert to the single blue when it wears off?

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:08:35 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The first step for me is just to figure what the power up scheme is... Question: Say you are powered up with the three headed green dragon and then you get that awesome pink temporary dragon, do you revert to the single blue when it wears off?

Yes, you do completely revert in that case.

I would NEVER get the pink temporary dragon unless you are two-headed-blue, or less, IMO.

The critical things are:

(1) decide if you want mini-with-wingmen or 3-headed dragon
(2) decide if you care about white-vs-green
(3) avoid "skull" downgrades
(4) avoid "S" small-conversions since they are bad for you unless you are already small with wingmen
(5) grab literally EVERYTHING else except the one or two pink-dragon upgrades in the game

If you're flexible, flipping between green 3-headed and white 3-headed periodically isn't that bad (though green is WAY more powerful against the bosses), but getting switched to mini-with-wingmen really spreads out your fire-base and getting fully downgraded by the pink guy wearing off are both sub-optimal.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:50:28 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

I would NEVER get the pink temporary dragon unless you are two-headed-blue, or less, IMO.

The critical things are:

(4) avoid "S" small-conversions since they are bad for you unless you are already small with wingmen
(5) grab literally EVERYTHING else except the one or two pink-dragon upgrades in the game

If you're flexible, flipping between green 3-headed and white 3-headed periodically isn't that bad (though green is WAY more powerful against the bosses), but getting switched to mini-with-wingmen really spreads out your fire-base and getting fully downgraded by the pink guy wearing off are both sub-optimal.

Go with the three headed dragon

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:10:09 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

The critical things are:

Cool, I appreciate the tips.

Go with the three headed dragon

The three headed dragon looks good on you Vex, much more intimidating then that girlie little pokemon you were rockin before.

Edited: 12/09/2014 at 12:14 PM by BriGuy82

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:16:30 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

The three headed dragon looks good on you Vex, much more intimidating then that girlie little pokemon you were rockin before.

*fires gravity beam at BriGuy82*

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:28:14 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

My 4th attempt ... #1 and #3 did not go well.  I bit the dust a couple of times on the last stage so my score could have been quite a bit better.  But I think I got a lot of point drops so I'm happy with how this run turned out.

EDIT:  Old score of 258,510
Beat it on my second try!  I had only played the intro level before this.  I know my score is not super great for beating the game but I will probably look to improve on this.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 12/14/2014 at 04:53 PM by arnpoly

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:35:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So pro-tip RE: scoring:

I discovered yesterday that the annoying little green guys that zip down the screen on the jungle level are 1000 pts each.
(if you're quick it's also possible to activate all of them rather than let them fly by)

Also, the REALLY dangerous guys that zip up from the bottom of the screen in the desert/underwater level are 1000 pts each (the trilobites that shoot a spreadshot of shells at you and need to be bombed)