Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Indian Samurai NES help Need info and repair help.

Jul 07 at 2:19:02 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
To owners of the Samurai NES, I need your help.

Does this have a PAL or NTSC board?

How can I tell?

What games will play in it?

Is this the original board?

What board revision do you have?

Will anything at all show on screen on a US television @ 60 hz?

No matter what I do, I always get black screen as if there is no video output detected. I always get a blinking power light from both US and PAL games. I put a used but working 72 pin connector inside at symptoms remain. Games have been thoroughly cleaned. I only got a solid light once from a 72 pin pirate game.

This appears to have been opened and repaired at some point. There are screws missing. There seem to be a number of solder points that were reflowed. It also looks like they were messing with the rf/power box. There is some corrosion on the board.

I need to eliminate some variables to figure out I need to repair this. Thank you!

Edited: 07/07/2019 at 02:25 PM by acromite53

Jul 07 at 4:39:26 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
find the lockout chip on the board. that'll point you to pal or ntsc. you can also check the timing crystal to verify.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jul 07 at 5:12:00 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Lincoln

find the lockout chip on the board. that'll point you to pal or ntsc. you can also check the timing crystal to verify.

Awesome thank you. It shows 3196A which is hong kong/Asia region. That explains the blinking light. I don't have any Hong kong region games to test though. Now the only issue is no video signal. Normally you'd get a black and white scrolling image if it were 50 hz on a 60 hz tv. I'll try coax and see if there's any difference.

Jul 08 at 6:52:38 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
That would be a PAL system, yeah. Different US TV's will do different things with a PAL image, ranging from a rolling screen to black and white to nothing at all. Perhaps try the system on a range of available TV's to see if you get anything. Also, you can simply cut the 4th pin on the lockout chip to disable it, IF you are happy to permanently modify your system. That might help with testing.

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jul 08 at 11:38:34 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Thanks for the info. I tried the pirate cart it came with. 3 TVs I tried all display no signal. 1 CRT and 2 flatscreens. I'll try coax next

Jul 09 at 2:11:43 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
be aware channels 3 and 4 in pal frequencies don't correspond to 3 and 4 in the usa. famicom 2/3 switch corresponds to 95/96 in the american system, i don't know if there is an equivalent for pal 3/4

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion