Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"RARE" items on Craigslist...

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:11:02 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I always love how people on Craigslist list the most "COMMON" NES games under the title .... "RARE"  

Mario/Dunt Hunt "RARE" 
Legend of Zelda " GOLD CART" ..."RARE"
Rad Racer CIB w/ 3D glasses ... "RARE"

-------------------------
Completed - 676/677 US NES NTSC

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:19:04 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Yeah this is any first party Nintendo game here. Smash Melee with a MILLION SELLER label on the front "SUPER RARE $90".

SW-6786-5095-2210

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:20:06 PM
grime47 (92)
< Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
Today I saw "RARE grape game boy color $100" I lol'd.

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:46:55 PM
Bubbasizer (1)

(Greg Oulman-Harper) < El Ripper >
Montana
People always try to grab a sucker.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:07:38 AM
Deuceler (21)
< Little Mac >
Texas
The main problem is people actually buy into it!

Playing through every North American Dreamcast game @ twitch.tv/deuceler

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:34:53 AM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
I usually wonder about the people who actually search for "Rare Nintendo"

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:50:04 AM
NESfanatic (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Ohio
Keep laughing as i go scrounging up these holy grails. Holy grails=early retirement

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:45:03 AM
Heartbreak7 (23)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Typing in "rare Nintendo" on eBay brings up over 13,000 results...

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:58:19 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Crazy4NES

This one I'll argue with you a bit on, as other than factory fresh, I've only ever seen one CIB Rad Racer which actually had the glasses.  A few that had the box and manual and a couple that had cheap, incorrect 3rd party glasses in them, but only a single one (about a month ago) that had the actual Nintendo glasses.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:33:47 PM
16BitBricks (1)
(Josh ) < Crack Trooper >
Michigan
I'm not even sure why craigslist even exists anymore. Just overpriced crap. Most good deals or garage sales are listed on FB. People use Backpage for bookers now, lol.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:48:47 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: 16BitBricks

I'm not even sure why craigslist even exists anymore. Just overpriced crap. Most good deals or garage sales are listed on FB. People use Backpage for bookers now, lol.

I've bought and traded all sorts of things on craigslist. Maybe you mean, "why do people look for old videogames on craigslist anymore?" maybe it's also where I live that makes CL such a good place to find things. hell, the free section has free tube TVs added every day. I see a Sony Tritron for free once every other month. I will admit though where I live is horrible for videogame deals anywhere.. CL included. However I have met a member on this forum (with some serious, rare N64 items) in person through a CL transaction and it was great. ...Sounds like you've had some bad or non-existent experiences.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:02:28 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

This one I'll argue with you a bit on, as other than factory fresh, I've only ever seen one CIB Rad Racer which actually had the glasses.  A few that had the box and manual and a couple that had cheap, incorrect 3rd party glasses in them, but only a single one (about a month ago) that had the actual Nintendo glasses.

What 3rd party glasses?

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:27:01 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

What 3rd party glasses?
Any random blue/red lensed 3D glasses. Like these:

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.c...

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:38:14 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
RARE! BOXED John Elway's Quarterback L@@K! HARD TO FIND!!!

Those always crack me up

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:37:26 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Tulpa

What 3rd party glasses?

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/red-blue-paper-3d-glasse...

Exactly.  The ones that actually came with Rad Racer were black and some sort of plastic (and never paper, not that I ever encountered when friends bought and opened the game factory fresh, anyway), but you'll often find people stuffing the box with any sort of generic white paper red/blue 3D glasses and claiming that it's as Nintendo shipped it.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:41:41 PM
disrupture (0)
(Charles G.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
RARE and COLLECTOR ITEM are keywords I avoid. When I see those words in an ad, I usually skip it.

Currently going for the complete NTSC Wii set.
Follow me on Instagram http://www.instagram.com/disruptured
Check out my collection at http://cloud.collectorz.com/disru...

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:26:05 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
RARE Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo cart x 20!

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:35:06 PM
A31E (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
I found this gem on craigslist:

"Nintendo NES system with two new controllers in boxes and four games. Wood&Water Rage, Major League Baseball, John Elroy's quarterback, and Limited Edition Platinum Zelda. All working "

haha. Limited edition PLATINUM legend of zelda?!?!?!?! all of this for $150 ?? what a steal.

Limited to one guys imagination i guess.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:35:31 PM
A31E (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois

Edited: 04/19/2016 at 01:38 PM by A31E

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:16:27 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I naturally assumed that this thread was about games made by the developer Rare being sold on Craigslist.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:20:12 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
I swear whose the asshole that started this stupid trend thinking that by typing RAREZ on your listing will give it a higher chance of selling.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:40:25 PM
cma2032 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

I swear whose the asshole that started this stupid trend thinking that by typing RAREZ on your listing will give it a higher chance of selling.

It actually does make a difference. Items with "rare" in the title sell for more on average, but not just video games. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:54:15 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

What 3rd party glasses?

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/red-blue-paper-3d-glasse...

Exactly.  The ones that actually came with Rad Racer were black and some sort of plastic (and never paper, not that I ever encountered when friends bought and opened the game factory fresh, anyway), but you'll often find people stuffing the box with any sort of generic white paper red/blue 3D glasses and claiming that it's as Nintendo shipped it.

I have 2 CIB Rad Racers with the black plastic glasses. The kid in the commerical is even wearing the "black" 3D glasses.  I'm gonna say they are not that "rare" of find. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:13:15 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I have 2 CIB Rad Racers with the black plastic glasses. The kid in the commerical is even wearing the "black" 3D glasses.  I'm gonna say they are not that "rare" of find.
If you're specifically seeking out CIB with someone who knows what that means, then yeah, you'll get the originals. But a random cart, box, manual Rad Racer is often missing the glasses, or has a substitute.

I think it's kind of like Arkanoid. You can find carts all day, but the controller is harder to come across, even though (if I'm not mistaken) they all shipped with it.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:58:29 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

If you're specifically seeking out CIB with someone who knows what that means, then yeah, you'll get the originals. But a random cart, box, manual Rad Racer is often missing the glasses, or has a substitute.

I think it's kind of like Arkanoid. You can find carts all day, but the controller is harder to come across, even though (if I'm not mistaken) they all shipped with it.

Exactly!  If you're buying everything truly factory complete, then no, they're not "rare" at all.  But to find them randomly, in the wild?  With the correct glasses in them?  Oh yeah, that's pretty exceedingly rare.  Pretty much every pair of those black plastic glasses that I saw kids pull out of the boxes ended up bent/broken/crushed/mangled/etc. and thrown away, usually within a few weeks of the game being opened and played with.

Per your example, tons of people have Arkanoid, but the vaus is considerably rarer.  Not rare at all to someone who kept everything factory fresh over the years, or to someone who bought a copy CIB.  But during a random flea market/Craigslist/game store pick up?  Fate is pretty much against you coming up with it.