"Super 8 bit" console is back NES PCB reproduction now better than ever

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:55:03 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Here.

https://www.tindie.com/products/l...

$239 without the CPU and PPU

$460 with CPU and PPU installed.

Custom tech IS pricy. I would have to see it work and play around/handle it before dropping that kind of dough to be honest.

But it does LOOK fantastic from what I can make out.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:06:09 PM
low_budget (0)

(Nick Fury) < Little Mac >
United States
Links are fixed.

I understand it's a lot of money for something you can't go to a store and play a demo unit before trying or anything,
I hope word of mouth will help sales, as I think it's a great project.
I think it's a good value compared to traditional RGB mods,

Game Tech US did a youtube review of the older v1.8 PCB.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:30:15 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Are they actually in stock? I have a spare junky NES, and all i need to do is remove the PPU and CPU right?

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:48:55 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Also, out of curiosity on the 2.0 revision, we dont have to worry about putting any of the through hole components in? Like in the review video it's pretty much completely unassembled.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:03:44 AM
Goodcake (6)

< Cherub >
Texas
You are correct on both accounts. I know my say doesn't mean much, but I have one of these NES Super 8 v2.0 systems in a polycase like shown and it's awesome.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:14:49 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
They require a RP2A03 CPU and RP2C03B PPU chip. The CPU from a NES can be used, but the PPU comes from certain arcade game boards.
They're available with and without the chips.

I do not offer the Super 8 in kit form, only assembled PCBs and complete systems.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:04:50 PM
RabbidRabbit (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Georgia
What are you using for the 72 pin? I would like a to buy a few of them.

-------------------------

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:25:36 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
The Super 8 bit is back with new features and improvements with version 2.5! Very limited quantity available on http://www.tindie.com....
The systems will be listed as I build them with no pre-orders taken.
https://www.tindie.com/products/l...

Overview

The Super 8 bit is a new hand-assembled game console that can play all your favorite NES and Famicom games. It uses the original CPU and PPU chips for pixel perfect gameplay and 99.8% compatibility. The Super 8 bit has video, audio, and reliability improvements over the original systems in a compact form factor.

The Super 8 was the very first aftermarket console to work using original hardware CPU and PPU chips when v1.1 was originally sold over 2 years ago. A lot has improved since then!

Features included with the new v2.5 circuit board:

Dual cartridge slots allow playing games from any region.
Compatible with 99.8% of the entire NES and Famicom 8 bit library.
Two original NES controller ports and 15 pin Famicom expansion connector have all pins wired for compatibility with all known accessories (some require a CRT television.)
Designed to work with Viletim's NESRGB and original console PPU.
Composite video, s-video, and 240p RGB video outputs with stereo sound.
A/V multi-out connector is pin-compatible with any Genesis 2 A/V cable; standard s-video and RCA connectors are used to eliminate the need for proprietary cables.
Three selectable color palettes: original, improved, and arcade.
New cartridge connectors with no lockout chip, so any game with a clean connector will work every time.
Adjustable hi-fi stereo sound circuit supports auxiliary audio input from game cartridges.
Three-piece 14 gauge aluminum powder coated case.
Efficient switching 1.5A regulator provides plenty of power to system and accessories.

Youtube video:

Edited: 12/08/2014 at 02:18 AM by low_budget

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:41:37 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
I initially didn't think Famicom microphone support was needed, mostly because it is only used on 5 or 6 early Famicom games.

However due to a lot of requests, built-in Famicom support is now featured in the new v3.0 Super 8 bit motherboard!

Version 3.0 is not meant to replace v2.5, it simply adds Famicom microphone functionality using a built-in microphone. Sensitivity is adjustable and the input is tied to a LED so the user has a visual indicator when the microphone input is active (sound level loud enough.)
Since I was designing a new PCB anyway, I made some small changes, like larger and easier to adjust potentiometers on v3.0.

Super 8 bit systems with the v3.0 motherboard are now available. Due to the extra labor and parts cost involved, this version is priced at $30 more than v2.5.
Here's a video of the new v3.0 Super 8 bit being tested with a variety of Famicom and NES accessories:

All the accessories shown work perfectly with the v2.5 circuit board, minus Famicom microphone functionality.

Here's the original v2.5 video with FDS testing:

The website www.retrorgb.com... did a hands-on review of the Super 8:

http://www.retrorgb.com/super8v2....

Edited: 01/20/2015 at 12:36 AM by low_budget

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:19:40 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
One lingering issue with the Super 8 bit was the large opening on the top which dust could enter. I now include 3D printed caps that fit in this opening with the Super 8 bit. When not in use, just cover the opening with the cap. Simple yet effective.

I will be offering free dust caps to anyone who previously bought a Super 8 bit system.
Colors on hand: white, black, blue, red.

I decided it was time to make a website for the Super 8 bit.

http://www.lowbudgetify.com/index...

This allows me to work directly with customers and I offer custom options on the v3.0 Super 8 bit.
Now you can choose LED color, cap / button colors, or even sockets for the DIP ICs.

Edited: 03/03/2015 at 10:25 PM by low_budget

May 1, 2015 at 1:01:19 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
I finally acquired a XRGB mini Framemeister and did some testing with the Super 8 bit.

I used a Genesis 2 RGB SCART cable modified to connect directly to the 8 pin mini-din RGB input of the XRGB mini.

If anyone wants one of these cables (which also work with the Sega Genesis model 2, 32x, CDX, or Nomad) let me know.

The picture is pretty much the same as any NESRGB modified Nintendo, perfect.

Now I find myself making custom cables for all my RGB capable systems and doing RGB mods on the other systems.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:40:47 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Suggestions :

1. Flip the Famicom slot 180 degrees, who wants to see the back of a cartridge? Similarly, does anyone want to see the cable for the FDS RAM Adapter come out of the front of the system?

2. The NES Controller ports should be on the front side of the system, not the top. While one or two controllers are not particularly unattractive this way, what about an NES Advantage or Four Score with their thick cables? Or a NES Satellite with its RF sensor?

3. Your gameplay footage of Akumajou Densetsu has quiet expansion audio. You mentioned a potentiometer that can adjust the value vis-a-vis the internal audio, so you should demonstrate it to get a better mix.

4. The microphone support should have a switch to add the user's sound to the audio output like an original Famicom. I suggest the switch to give the user a choice, so a user who does not want the distortion can turn off the feature. There are other microphone games where the experience is enhanced with the microphone feedback.

5. A four-position toggle so you can use the native composite video output. I believe this is useful because the NESRGB's composite is a little less sharp, appropriate for checking colors and to show people what a difference RGB and S-Video makes.

6. While the user can install a RGB-to-component board from the NESRGB creator, where is he going to mount the connector? Drilling a hole in aluminum sounds like it could come out very badly without the right tools.

7. The potentiometers for the expansion audio and microphone should be user adjustable without having to open the case, there is no one perfect setting.

9. You really need a decent HD camera and a stand for your videos.

9. One hopes you would offer an HDMI version of your console when kevtris' boards are available.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:45:09 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
I appreciate all suggestions to make the Super 8 better over the years and some I have implemented.

However when designing a game console from the ground up, tough decisions have to be made that may not satisfy everyone.

The Famicom cartridge slot currently has the label facing the rear for two reasons:
1. The Disk System RAM adapter currently fits neatly on top of the system with no overhang.
2. From a PCB design standpoint, rotating the Famicom slot 180 degrees would require all cartridge traces crossing over one another. This would likely not cause major issues, but this would add considerable length to the cartridge slot traces and an additional via for each one. The expansion audio trace would likely pick up some interference from this.

The top mount controller ports are a result of needing to keep the number of PCBs I need to make down to two. If top loader NES style controller ports were available, I would definitely do front mounted controller ports!

I wanted the microphone to be internal, so it would not require an additional plug-in accessory to use the functionality.
Since the console is likely to be close to the TV (and speaker) I opted not to mix microphone audio with system audio to eliminate feedback.

I considered adding a original composite video option, but this would have required a DT4T switch with the correct mounting. It would need a separate RCA composite jack, or switched to the existing outputs.
The Super 8 can be modified to support this. I'll provide instruction if anyone wants to do it.

I added the Viletim's RGB to component add-on board to one of my Super 8 systems. It only requires drilling one 1/4" hole in the case. I recommend using small drill bits and working your way up to the correct size when drilling holes in powdercoated surfaces. This is a nice kit, but since many newer TVs don't like 240p component video I didn't make it a default option.

The adjustments for the 3 audio channels and microphone sensitivity is fairly difficult to access on v2.5, but on v3.0 it only requires removing the side cover. On v3.0 it's easy to make adjustments during gameplay. Typically I test several games with good music (and one with expansion audio) when fine tuning the sound. This way I can get great sound quality with nearly any game without any further adjustment.

My videos are horrible quality, I agree. One day I'll get a decent camera and make some good videos!

My hope is the Kevtris HDMI board can be installed with minimal modifications. Once these become available to the masses, I will definitely try it out!

Edited: 08/08/2015 at 02:23 AM by low_budget

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:02:33 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
I did the Viletim component video mod to the NESRGB inside the Super 8 bit.

I actually did this mod a while ago, but recently decided to post it.

Installation couldn't be easier, and the only case modification I had to do was drill a 1/4" hole.
The picture quality was perfect on CRTs and my LCD TV that had a good internal scaler.

When I used my Jrok component converter, it worked well also, but introduced around 1 frame of lag to gameplay.

So for $20 + s&h to buy the component mod board and about 30 minutes installation time you can have component video in either version of the Super 8.