Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Talespin Contest ends Sunday, 5/25/14 at 11 PM NA time

May 23, 2014 at 9:57:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

Also, since 1ups are quite abundant in this game, is there any chance we could factor extras into our final tally ala the Jackal contest bimmy_lee?

In fact, I stumbled into this problem Yesterday. I think there's a flawwith the fact you can actually get a higher score by either legitly losing or wasting your lives to restart the stages over. We could value each extra lives remaining when taking a score at 10,000 points, which would most potentially void any advantage in losing lives.

Thoughts?

I didn't notice hidden fruit or bonus areas regenerating after a death.

So the only extra points from dying should be from killing enemies.

-------------------------

May 23, 2014 at 12:59:01 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Also, since 1ups are quite abundant in this game, is there any chance we could factor extras into our final tally ala the Jackal contest bimmy_lee?

In fact, I stumbled into this problem Yesterday. I think there's a flawwith the fact you can actually get a higher score by either legitly losing or wasting your lives to restart the stages over. We could value each extra lives remaining when taking a score at 10,000 points, which would most potentially void any advantage in losing lives.

Thoughts?

Pretty much. If hidden fruit or bonus stages reappeared,then I would say 10k per life as well.

May 23, 2014 at 1:22:04 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
They dont regenerate, unless i am totally missing something

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

May 23, 2014 at 2:00:04 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Thoughts?

Pretty much. If hidden fruit or bonus stages reappeared,then I would say 10k per life as well.

They don't reappear, but you can still make substantial points just with the fruit from enemies. I died in the last stage and just killing enemies to get to the boss again got me something between 4-5k.

My reasoning is simply to not advantage players who lose lives over a player who doesn't. Maybe 5k would be enough per extra lives, but 10k is sure to make the difference.

May 23, 2014 at 7:51:00 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Thoughts?

They don't reappear, but you can still make substantial points just with the fruit from enemies. I died in the last stage and just killing enemies to get to the boss again got me something between 4-5k.

My reasoning is simply to not advantage players who lose lives over a player who doesn't. Maybe 5k would be enough per extra lives, but 10k is sure to make the difference.

Forbidding grinding should just rule out taking the enemy points since they are easily avoided...

May 23, 2014 at 10:00:21 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Ok i wont hae a chance to play after tonight so i hope the rules if how many points you get per life are sorted out haha

I agree with guillavoie that we should maybe have 5k or 10 k otherwise the incentive is suicide and go through a level again to collect friit from enemies and most levels would allow about 2000 per if you kill all the dudes and no racking

Edited: 05/23/2014 at 10:05 PM by BilltownSparty

May 23, 2014 at 10:07:14 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Just to rephrase te above you could kill yourself and get more than 1000 points by killing the enemies again in a level so really best scores would be acheived by suicide and redoing a level if reward for life wasnt like 5k

May 24, 2014 at 12:42:01 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: BilltownSparty

Just to rephrase te above you could kill yourself and get more than 1000 points by killing the enemies again in a level so really best scores would be acheived by suicide and redoing a level if reward for life wasnt like 5k

Indeed, and not only because of suicide, losing lives legitly here and there would be an advantage on your score, which wouldn't be really contest-wise.

May 24, 2014 at 12:58:13 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Thoughts?

Forbidding grinding should just rule out taking the enemy points since they are easily avoided...

I think you just don't want to truly understand the problem, you're clearly reading it backward, and it shows that you're not playing the game anymore.

The main problem is that the game isn't really suited for a high-score contest. Either we make spoiling lives the way to go, or we counter this with a sound bonus per extra lives. Since we already needed to establish the no racking rule, making lives spoiling legit would be contradictory.

If we decide for a bonus per extra lives, making it 1000 doesn't solve the reason why we want to establish it.

Now I'll admit that I'm a bit irritated by the fact this isn't settled because my arguments are thrown away for no reason, so I'm making the call by spliting the pear in halves.

Each extra lives will worth 2000 points to your final score, with all the ambiguity this decision comes with. Play like you want, fair if possible.

May 24, 2014 at 1:05:17 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
You guys pick how many bonus points you want each extra life to be in the end. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to argue about this. Talespin is clearly a poor choice for a contest and won't be used again.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 24, 2014 at 1:09:08 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
To the members of the committee, please take a look at my last message when you have a minute.

May 24, 2014 at 1:29:53 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

You guys pick how many bonus points you want each extra life to be in the end. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to argue about this. Talespin is clearly a poor choice for a contest and won't be used again.

No worry buddy, we want to try new games and sometimes it turns out they aren't perfect for a contest. It doesn't change the fact that you made me discover a game I didn't knew, and I enjoyed playing it.

2000 points per extra lives should 'do' the job.

May 24, 2014 at 1:38:40 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

165,600 + (19 x 2000)

Here's my score made Wednesday. I intended to replay, but since I just forced the final decision on rules, I'm most probably going to sit back and wait for the next contest.

Funny game, like most Capcom games.

May 24, 2014 at 2:49:47 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Score updated.

Edited: 05/24/2014 at 10:08 PM by gutsman004

May 24, 2014 at 7:44:13 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

Kevin man glad you picked it i may have never played this game if not! So good pick man!

Funny the first time i played this week i hated the clunky feeling controls and lost all my continues on the first boss, last night i beat it while thinking this is borderline impossible to get a game over there are like 6 extra lives per level

Definetely will replay this game again soon very fun imho

Everyone have a safe and happy memorial weekend!

May 24, 2014 at 7:49:30 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

Kevin man glad you picked it i may have never played this game if not! So good pick man!

Funny the first time i played this week i hated the clunky feeling controls and lost all my continues on the first boss, last night i beat it while thinking this is borderline impossible to get a game over there are like 6 extra lives per level

Definetely will replay this game again soon very fun imho

Everyone have a safe and happy memorial weekend!

May 24, 2014 at 7:51:50 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

165,600 + (19 x 2000)

Here's my score made Wednesday. I intended to replay, but since I just forced the final decision on rules, I'm most probably going to sit back and wait for the next contest.

Funny game, like most Capcom games.

Hey brother i dont think anyone has a problem with you playing after setting the rules. Unless i missed itthat we are playing for a million bucks then inthat case sit this one out! Lol keep playing man!

Sorry for the double post above

May 24, 2014 at 12:02:10 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

No worry buddy, we want to try new games and sometimes it turns out they aren't perfect for a contest. It doesn't change the fact that you made me discover a game I didn't knew, and I enjoyed playing it.

2000 points per extra lives should 'do' the job.

Same here.  Prior to the contest, I never gave this game a chance.  After exploring it thorougly and finding all the secrets and bonus stages, I can now say I really enjoy this game.  Also, since extra lives are worth 2000 points, I'm going to revise my strategy for Bonus Stage B.  There's a 1up I was avoiding to get a more lucrative 1000 point strawberry, but now that extras are worth more, I'll be trying as hard as possible to 1 life this game today.

Edited: 05/24/2014 at 01:15 PM by Balloon_Kid

May 24, 2014 at 6:15:51 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Make sure you pause the game and take a picture before you defeat the last boss as once you do,you won't be able to see your score ever again. I just found this out and therefore flushing my 175k score plus 13 lives down the toilet. Back to the drawing board. I was able to find every bonus stage except for one on stage 6 which I hope to find on the next playthrough.

May 24, 2014 at 10:09:30 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

198,400 with 29 lives (at 2,000 each) + 58,000 = 256,400 (Game Completed)

Died 4 times and I think I found about every hidden fruit in the game. Also got some really good drops. And now to rest the thumb.

Edited: 05/25/2014 at 02:49 PM by gutsman004

May 24, 2014 at 10:56:05 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Nice run gutsman!

May 24, 2014 at 11:20:04 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Nice run gutsman!

Thanks. Balloon Kid killed me on lives though. 34?!....wow.

May 25, 2014 at 3:46:06 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan

I do not see the entire Gutsman so I don't know if this counts

May 25, 2014 at 3:53:55 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: deathrock83

I do not see the entire Gutsman so I don't know if this counts

Lol,I tried but my iphone camera does not like taking a picture of a TV with a mostly black screen.

May 25, 2014 at 11:38:26 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

181,900 plus 30 x2,000

Holy crap had a couple too many cocktails thought i posted this pick friday night whoops......not a winner for sure but im happy with this hog.  what a cool weird game!