Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can someone give me a VALID reason not to ship to Canada? Beware - rant incoming

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:51:19 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Time, Money and Risk. I'll take a chance on NA if the item is worth it, but on eBay I'd rather not deal with added risk. I'll take less money for a smooth sale in the states.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:23:13 PM
Aphex21 (20)
(Ray Hoon) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
shipping used to be a hassle if you had to go to the post and fill out custom forms but printing online shipping has made that easier since the form is included. But it is costly, i just always gouge canadian shipping to try to defer it but some people still pay for it. I sold 3 nes manuals for 19.99 and they still paid $15 for the shipping.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:28:43 PM
Deemar (12)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: jonebone

Time, Money and Risk. I'll take a chance on NA if the item is worth it, but on eBay I'd rather not deal with added risk. I'll take less money for a smooth sale in the states.

Here's my question, what risk? The guy signs for it when he picks it up, you see that online. Where's the risk?

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:41:26 PM
Vandy (45)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
On sales that I'm afraid of losing money on due to a shady buyer, I simply pay the $1 to add a signature requirement.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:08:41 PM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: DxS

Originally posted by: Aatos

Wow, that sounds awesome, but can anyone actually confirm the list of 13 countries mentioned? Annoyingly all I've found so far at usps.com is "to select destinations" with no country list...

Originally posted by: Dennis

Originally posted by: ihavethatpma

A: USPS doesn't offer international tracking for first class or Priority, opening the door for more scammers.
B: Also, when stuff takes more than a week to show up, which it often does, buyers are constantly writing "WARE ARE MY GAEM! TRACING # NAO!"
C: Shipping rates went up, and I can't count how many times I've been bitched out for charging ACTUAL SHIPPING from tight wad Canadians, which is annoying.

But I still do it, because I've had more pleasant transactions than poor ones. But A-C are super irritating.

As of July 29th, those services do have delivery confirmations (depending on the country). I'm not sure if this is just for Endicia customers, or for everyone. Here's more info from the email they sent me:

• Electronic Delivery Confirmation International service is now available to 13 countries in addition to Canada.
  • This service is available for the Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Box, as well as all First-Class Package International Service parcels.

Is there a list of countries with delivery confirmation ?

Here's a partial list:

Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
New Zealand
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Cool thanks. I`m sure they`ll update with the netherlands too. Good info

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:58:14 PM
DxS (150)
(Renegade Space Ninja) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida

Originally posted by: Aatos

Wow, that sounds awesome, but can anyone actually confirm the list of 13 countries mentioned? Annoyingly all I've found so far at usps.com is "to select destinations" with no country list...

Originally posted by: ihavethatpma

A: USPS doesn't offer international tracking for first class or Priority, opening the door for more scammers.
B: Also, when stuff takes more than a week to show up, which it often does, buyers are constantly writing "WARE ARE MY GAEM! TRACING # NAO!"
C: Shipping rates went up, and I can't count how many times I've been bitched out for charging ACTUAL SHIPPING from tight wad Canadians, which is annoying.

But I still do it, because I've had more pleasant transactions than poor ones. But A-C are super irritating.

As of July 29th, those services do have delivery confirmations (depending on the country). I'm not sure if this is just for Endicia customers, or for everyone. Here's more info from the email they sent me:

• Electronic Delivery Confirmation International service is now available to 13 countries in addition to Canada.
  • This service is available for the Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Box, as well as all First-Class Package International Service parcels.

Is there a list of countries with delivery confirmation ?

Here's a partial list:

Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
New Zealand
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Cool thanks. I`m sure they`ll update with the netherlands too. Good info

I just checked, and Netherlands is one of the countries that was missing from the list.

Updated list:

Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:00:35 PM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Hurray!

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:06:42 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
I sent a package to Poland, it arrived in less than a week, with delivery confirmation, for 30 bucks. At least something in Mexico is better than the same thing in the US, ha! And slower (cheaper) shipping also has confirmation for almost any country.

I didn't post this to make fun or diss the US, it's just that it's so rare to be able to say a good thing about a mexican government service...

Edited: 09/09/2013 at 07:08 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:43:11 PM
Ctrl Alt Geek (7)
(Michael Kitchen) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

I sent a package to Poland, it arrived in less than a week, with delivery confirmation, for 30 bucks. At least something in Mexico is better than the same thing in the US, ha! And slower (cheaper) shipping also has confirmation for almost any country.

I didn't post this to make fun or diss the US, it's just that it's so rare to be able to say a good thing about a mexican government service...

It got there fast because they shipped it out with their drug supply

Total Sealed Game Gear Carts:1
Total Sealed NES Carts:0
Total SNES Sealed Carts:0
Final Fantasy Collection (CIB):0
Zelda Collection (CIB): 1
Metroid Collection (CIB) :0
Mario Collection (CIB): 6

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:26:09 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Ctrl Alt Geek

It got there fast because they shipped it out with their drug supply

I knew it!

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:31:25 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

I have shipped a lot to Canada, but if someone hasn't done it much before, there are unusual things that make it take longer or be harder than normal. If it's a common item that will sell in the US just as easily, then there is no incentive for the layperson to go out of their way to ship to Canada. I assume that's the main reason that many people don't ship to Canada. That and the fact that paypal doesn't offer first class international shipping labels, which is a huge flaw/oversight in the system.

I know you're good people! I'm jealous of your Tim Horton's too!

I saw that and had to comment because my sister told, rather demanded, that I go there when I was on vacation in Niagra Falls. We do have them in the U.S. too

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:47:05 PM
Gonawyn (7)

< Cherub >
Newfoundland
i haven't had any problems tracking packages i have sent to me from the US. I just use the usps app on my phone and once it crosses the border into the frozen wasteland i just use the same number in the canada post app. It has worked everytime so far for me

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:37:33 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

I have shipped a lot to Canada, but if someone hasn't done it much before, there are unusual things that make it take longer or be harder than normal. If it's a common item that will sell in the US just as easily, then there is no incentive for the layperson to go out of their way to ship to Canada. I assume that's the main reason that many people don't ship to Canada. That and the fact that paypal doesn't offer first class international shipping labels, which is a huge flaw/oversight in the system.

I know you're good people! I'm jealous of your Tim Horton's too!

I saw that and had to comment because my sister told, rather demanded, that I go there when I was on vacation in Niagra Falls. We do have them in the U.S. too

I know!  I heard they might even be expanding a bit more south...

Originally posted by: Gonawyn

i haven't had any problems tracking packages i have sent to me from the US. I just use the usps app on my phone and once it crosses the border into the frozen wasteland i just use the same number in the canada post app. It has worked everytime so far for me

This is awesome.  Any idea if this will work for the sender in the US?  Where is the site to check the number once it's in Canada?

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:57:59 PM
Gonawyn (7)

< Cherub >
Newfoundland
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools...

also if you have a smartphone just download the USPS app and Canada Post app, both of them are free on iphone

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:20:34 AM
Pharoah (2)
< Crack Trooper >
Alberta
Yup, those are essential apps for anyone who does shipping to Canada from the states, and vice versa. Personally tho, I prefer to purchase my items in bulk, as to eliminate those pesky customs officials as much as possible. I would rather have 1 20-50 lot package than 10 2-5 lot packages any day. However, sometimes this is not possible.

And since I'm from Canada, I personally see no point in shipping to the US for 2 simple reasons.

1. They can get the item for LESS in the most expensive Brick and Mortar stores.

2. They don't have to pay shipping unless they purchase from out of state or across the country.

US -> Canada = We need it
Canada -> US = Meh, ur legal in 3 states... there IS no more reason to ship there, unless it's lumber, we gots lots of that eh.

My For Sale Thread

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:48:56 AM
standonrubble (15)
(Joseph Downs) < Little Mac >
New York
ive done it before a few times as well and never had a problem, but I ALWAYS track my shipments and once it crosses the border the tracking stops and that sort of sketches me out a bit, but ive had all good buyers luckily.

I typically wont offer, but if I were to be asked i almost always would, unless something seems not right about it for whatever reason.

Nintendo 3ds friend code: 2981-7312-0946 -mainly looking for friends in pokemon xy for safari-PM ME YOUR FC if you add mine, we wont be friends if i dont add you too!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/stan... -watch, like, comment, subscribe!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/standonr...

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:47:06 AM
pk space jam (58)
(What is love?) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I usually will ship to Canada, but you have to fill out these annoying customs forms, and recently shipping spiked on stuff outside the states, so I usually end up charging Canadian people a bunch for shipping.

Buy my stuff (NES repros right now) here <------
Read about me learning NES programming here. 
Here's my band.
Pen & paper game I wrote about Dolphins

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31:26 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: standonrubble

ive done it before a few times as well and never had a problem, but I ALWAYS track my shipments and once it crosses the border the tracking stops and that sort of sketches me out a bit, but ive had all good buyers luckily.

I typically wont offer, but if I were to be asked i almost always would, unless something seems not right about it for whatever reason.

Have you tried tracking in the canadian post site, after it gets to the border?

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:03:21 AM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I'm going to chime in with my one and only experience dealing with Canada. I bought a SMS2 from a Canadian Ebayer. I paid 30 dollars shipping which seemed fair being that I have no idea what shipping really costs. I was warned that post between Canada and the US can be slow, packages can be damaged (but the system was packed carefully) etc.. All the standard warning and pleading not to give negative feedback. Then a few days later a pristine package arrived well before I expected it with tracking most of the way, although both nations are rather slow about updating that stuff.

So shipping from Canada worked at least once.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:05:36 AM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina

Originally posted by: standonrubble

Have you tried tracking in the canadian post site, after it gets to the border?

This is true. When I bought from Canada USPS would accept the tracking but had no info. Canada post gave the info however. It was a bit slow though because the USPS often tells you a lot of extranious detail my experience was that Canada post only updated every other day and just told be vaguely what city it was in.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:39:58 AM
Pharoah (2)
< Crack Trooper >
Alberta
It's a realtime system, the reason there are long points with no update is because the package takes time to get from it's point of origin to it's destination.

ie 12:15am (09/11/2013) Package Picked Up From such and such a place. NO UPDATE REQUIRED UNTIL...
08:45am (09/12/2013) Package Has Arrived at Such and Such a location. No more updates until the package leaves.

We don't care if it passed this provincial boarder or whatever, all we care about is "It left there? and got to this place? Cool, it's on it's way"

My For Sale Thread

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:32:55 PM
Cabanon (53)
(Louis Duquet) < Lolo Lord >
Quebec
there's no rreason to not to ship to Canada anymore. with tracking that goes across the border now, you can see where your package is and if it reached it's destination.

Edited: 09/12/2013 at 02:35 PM by Cabanon

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:34:38 AM
fdisk (1)

(Eric Mathison) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
i wouldnt be shipping any sealed stuff i have heard of horror stories where customs opens the sealed games

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:41:00 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
I think the reasons many people don't ship internationally have been made pretty clear in this thread so far.

It's all about risk versus reward. I'm not saying it's THAT much riskier to ship internationally, but it definitely is to at least some degree. And I think many sellers just don't think it's worth the hassle. And then you have people that hear horror stories and are just scared to even try it. And if we're comparing a US sale to a Canada sale, you can guarantee the sale to Canada will (a) generally take longer to ship, and (b) cost more shipping to the buyer. And let's think about this --- if there is a small issue in shipping - let's say a little slight damage. The US buyer paid less shipping and may be less likely to complain or make a big deal of it. But if you're the Canadian buyer and you just paid $15-$20 for shipping, you may be a little more frustrated.

NA is different from Ebay ---- I will ship internationally on NA, but I typically prefer not to on ebay. Here's why:

Let's take a relatively common item (not anything super rare or niche, etc), like a CIB Zelda NES game in good condition.

If I'm the seller, there is enough demand in the US alone, that I don't really need to offer international shipping to expand my potential customer base. Even if I charge actual shipping charges, so I get the same amount either way, it makes more sense for me to sell to the US buyer because shipping will be quicker, tracking is faster, and there is simply less risk overall of a problem. The entire transaction will be done quicker and I can move on.

I often sell on ebay with BINs since I tend to price a little bit low and just sell quickly. So for me, the argument of "well, offering the items to more people should hypothetically increase bidding" doesn't apply as much.

I think for large sellers this is less of an issue, but for smaller sellers it may not make as much sense.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:50:49 AM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Ill give you two words... Pete Diak!!! Haha just playing. But seriously he had some crazy stories on how he got some of his rarer carts.

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)