Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: Hint Books

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:54:37 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Discuss Dain's article here.

BTW, anyone who didn't sort out the 4/1 e-zine, the direct download link is here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Edited: 04/02/2010 at 06:55 AM by Dain

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:50:33 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
great info. although i never may get into collecting hint books, it is always nice to know their back story. They are, without a doubt, very unique pieces of a collection. I commend you for your research on this topic!

-------------------------
eBay listings here

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:16:26 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Oddly enough, I agree with every single one of those rarity ratings, and I've followed the hint books since I've been a member here. I can also honestly say I had no clue a Fester's Quest one existed until this article, though I've still never seen a Wall Street Tip Sheet either.

And I like how you left off the price on the Milon's Secret Castle, didn't I come in second place to you on the one that hit eBay a few months back I forget my snipe but I think it was low $50s and I can only imagine what yours was since it was the last you needed.

(And in a similar unrelated note, there was a certain SNES CIB on eBay last week that I came in 2nd on, and I think it may have been the last one Wrldstrman needed... certainly at least "one of")

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:46:34 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: jonebone

And I like how you left off the price on the Milon's Secret Castle

Actually, that's the price it was obtained at originally, not the price I paid. I hope I didn't confuse too many people on that -- those are what it cost to purchase them back in the day.

I won the Milon's Secret Castle one for $59.56 from jhd7, and I'm pretty sure my snipe was set somewhere in the low 3 figures.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:48:10 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Great article & info Dain -- thanks for sharing!  I got into collecting these a few months back and there's a few on there that I definitely didn't know about yet (Fester's Quest, Dungeon Magic, Wall Street Kid).  Time to hunt those down

By the way, what about the Tokuma Dragon Warrior IV Hint Book?  I was surprised to not see that on the list. 

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:03:43 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Whoops, missed that tidbit about what they retailed for instead of confusing that for what they are worth. Can't believe I misconstrued that, it's plain as day if you know values.

Speedy - Scroll down a bit more I didn't agree with it intially either, but Dain's rationale makes perfect sense... apparently the DWIV book was sold in stores and not a mail-away hint book as the others.

EDIT to add:  Also, am I a nerd for understanding what you meant about ISBN checksums?  I did some UPC math back in the day and there actually are formulas to tell what is accurate and what is fake... I couldn't believe it when I first discovered it either.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 04/02/2010 at 02:05 PM by jonebone

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:27:14 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium
Ha, I completely missed those two pages!! Sweet!

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:06:32 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina

EDIT to add:  Also, am I a nerd for understanding what you meant about ISBN checksums?

Yep, or maybe it's the two Greek symbols next to your name.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:12:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

EDIT to add:  Also, am I a nerd for understanding what you meant about ISBN checksums?  I did some UPC math back in the day and there actually are formulas to tell what is accurate and what is fake... I couldn't believe it when I first discovered it either.

I recall you and Megan having a pretty verbose thread on the subject.  It was definitely interesting.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:58:14 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

Ha, I completely missed those two pages!! Sweet!

Same here.  

I'm glad to know which books are out there now.  
Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:16:21 PM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
Very interesting article!

Also, does anyone actually have the tip sheet for Wall Street Kid?

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:02:27 AM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
A great article. I really need to get some of those hint books...lol.

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:29:04 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Something I've actually dabbled in myself. Just missed out on a Fester's Quest one (he wanted to make a trade, but didn't want boxes and manuals), but I've got a Maniac Mansion guide (thanks Euripides) pending in, and currently own the Ultima: Exodus, Might & Magic, Wizardry II, and Shadowgate guides, as well as the 4-Player Extra and Ninja Gaiden II NP guides. Think I'm missing a couple offhand, but still a wicked little subset. Dain, if you have a spare Wizardry: PGotMO guide, or any other dupes, PM me

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:55:12 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
^I actually have several dupes and I'd be willing to give them ALL up for the Tip Sheet for Wall Street Kid. Until then, I may just hang on to them. I've got a Lolo, Lolo 3, Dungeon Magic, and a few other dupes.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:30:23 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Damnit Dain, why couldn't you need something I have?

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:32:55 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Loved the article, Loved finding some of this stuff even more. Check out my latest find from earlier today:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:21:26 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: xtremegamer

Loved the article, Loved finding some of this stuff even more. Check out my latest find from earlier today:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...

I have a Lolo manual if you still need to CIB it   If you need anything else I'll gladly look through my stuff for you, or check my WTB thread and offer me a trade (obviously anything I need is worth more than a Lolo manual, but I'm sure something could be worked out).  PM me if you can't find the threads

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:12:10 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium
I came across the ad where Dungeon Magic's hint book is mentioned:

Electronic Gaming Monthly #20, page 1 (top right)

There's also mentioning of the Maniac Mansion hint book outside of the manual, in EGM #19, page 0 & 1 (bottom).

It's crazy how many mailaways and sweepstakes there were in old EGM mags. Just browsing through old mags really helps to know what to look for on eBay etc

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:41:55 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Good stuff man, thanks for the info! I just knew the Dungeon Magic one would be in a mag I didn't have yet (grrr!).

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:05:45 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium
No problem man, it's a lot of fun to page through these old mags. I sighted another Dungeon Magic HB mention + a couple others while going through some Video Games & Computer Entertainment mags (great magazine to check out btw, contains info on NES items that I haven't found in the more popular mags).

Dungeon Magic HB mentioned in VG&CE April 1991 -- pg 29
Ultima Exodus HB mentioned in VG&CE April 1990 -- pg 87
and in VG&CE September 1989 -- pg 31

Edit --> attached image of ad w/ Dungeon Magic HB

It's also worth adding that not every Dungeon Magic ad has this hint book info in the upper right corner, as I came across the same ad without it as well. 

Edited: 08/26/2010 at 12:11 PM by Speedy_NES

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:58:45 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Maybe check the dates of the mags with ads that both have and don't have the offer. Maybe they weren't available right away, or maybe they stopped offering them because of a lack of stock or something.