Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"USA" NTSC Prototypes of PAL exclusives. Is there any out there.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:18:53 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: Niiue

Originally posted by: CZroe

The prototype that Mark mentioned above has been dumped and does indeed play on an NTSC NES via the powerpak. Lincoln helped us out and got a number of our undumpable games dumped.
Playable NTSC Elite?! Awesome! June 14th 2005 he said the original proto-cart didn't even work, so I'm impressed. Why wasn't it dumping correctly?

Mark and I have dumped maybe 300 or so prototypes as of now, but this was one of maybe 12 that we were unable to get dumped.  It needed someone like Lincoln with an advanced understanding to get it done.  He took care of this, our Ufouria NTSC, and our Super Turrican NTSC.  Dude is a stud.

Now I think we're down to just two that we've never been able to get dumped.  Kartoon Kombat for the Genesis (which has since been sold), and Eurit for the SNES.  Eurit plays perfectly on real hardward, but even Lincoln couldn't get that one to dump.  

I haven't downloaded the Elite rom that was made available via the afformentioned link, but I will say that our copy is quite different than the PAL release.  It has a different menu and layout.  Can someone that's downloaded the rom confirm if these differences are present?

Elite is probably the best unreleased NES game we have left, with Robin Hood coming in a close second.  I would love to release the game, but given that's still an active title, I don't think I'd be able too unfortunately.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by an active title?

I mean that the game creators are still producing games in the series and that they're both still invloved in game development.  I wouldn't want to risk a lawsuit in releasing their stuff.

...even when one creator did release it and the other said publicly that he was OK with it? Remember: it's the working NES NTSC prototype that they both seem to think is available on their page right now! Maybe, send it to him and ask him to update the site with the working ROM? Maybe do a diff compare, see what's different, and make an IPS patch for the one that is released?
... And maybe you can just buy it off me and do all that shit?  

Elite is not high on my priority list and I didn't exactly get it for free. If you want to put in the time and money, shoot me a PM. 

Believe me: I understand. If you don't want to release it that's fine. I'm not even saying you should release it. I'm just getting to the point that it's not really about that.  You spent the money and it's yours to do with as you please.

I'm not sure if I was clear enough:
The scenario I described was not a "what if." One of the two creators already did release a broken NTSC proto ROM thinking it worked where it sits on his website today with that same assumption. The other already did say pubicly that he was OK with this which is why the website is still up. That's essentially BOTH creators publicly saying that they want a working NTSC proto ROM out there and taking the actions needed to put it out there, even though they seem to have bungled that.

Let's say that I did email them and they specifically said "yes" and I relayed it to you. It wouldn't change anything if you still don't want to release it. Once again: It's yours and I totally respect that. I'm just the jerk who isn't going to beat around the bush when the spat between the creators leaves us with this perfectly juicy nugget that directly relates to your stated reason for not releasing it.

I know I'd contribute to a fund if you ever chose to do it that way because I really want to play this and could not afford to buy it out-right. Whatever you decide to do: Good luck!

Edited: 02/08/2016 at 03:35 PM by CZroe

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:19:23 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Just checked video of Ian's rom, and it has a different HUD than my prototype.

Snapped a quick pic of mine (please excuse the condition of my office, we're renovating):

That... is cool.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:50:13 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I've been specially asked in the past not to release the rom. That may have very well changed, but it was explicitly stated last time I inquired.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:26:20 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

I've been specially asked in the past not to release the rom. That may have very well changed, but it was explicitly stated last time I inquired.

Gotcha. Super-jelly though.
Only proto I ever had cost me $0.50 (LUCKY!). I really respect the effort and expense you guys go through to obtain/preserve this stuff.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:14:22 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

I uploaded a super short video of my Elite prototype.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:06:32 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Oh boy. Not this again. DIE HOARDER!

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:17:33 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LfD..." width="500">>

That's badass. I assume that ROM is not for public consumption? What mapper did this game use? Any other cool vector gsmes on NES? Is there a Famicom version?

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:54:43 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LfD..." width="500">>

"Super short?" I dunno. Looks super TALL to me...

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:07:44 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

"Super short?" I dunno. Looks super TALL to me...

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:15:36 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I found an NTSC "Elite" proto in the No Intro ROM set my Powerpak. I am sure it is not yours unless you leaked it somehow. Possibly a previous owner, or a different proto version dumped? Graphics are corrupted below a certain scanline on the screen. I'm not sure if it's the ROM or the mapper causing the corruption. The results of the wireframe display engine within the demo are always the same. Sprte corruption within the "Window" below a certain point. I have not attempted to play it yet.

I am using the Powermapper megapak presented in the first download on the Powerpak thread, but am tempted to revert back to the Powerpak~BAK/ which I conveniently renamed in case I didn't like the changes, I can just hotswap both mapper sets by renaming the two Powerpak folders.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:48:16 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I found an NTSC "Elite" proto in the No Intro ROM set my Powerpak. I am sure it is not yours unless you leaked it somehow. Possibly a previous owner, or a different proto version dumped? Graphics are corrupted below a certain scanline on the screen. I'm not sure if it's the ROM or the mapper causing the corruption. The results of the wireframe display engine within the demo are always the same. Sprte corruption within the "Window" below a certain point. I have not attempted to play it yet.

I am using the Powermapper megapak presented in the first download on the Powerpak thread, but am tempted to revert back to the Powerpak~BAK/ which I conveniently renamed in case I didn't like the changes, I can just hotswap both mapper sets by renaming the two Powerpak folders.

That is the old "NTSC Demo" version Ian Bell hacked up from the PAL ROM.  It only works on old, inaccurate emulators like iNES by inputting PAL-friendly parameters.  Ironically, it should work in a real PAL NES, although perhaps not quite as fluidly as the real PAL ROM.  

What BeaglePuss/Mark has is the real deal (or he is a very skilled hacker, but I'll rely on his reputation that he isn't).  I'd love to take a look at it, but I don't think he would be willing to invite a stranger over to his house to play  

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:18:11 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

That is the old "NTSC Demo" version Ian Bell hacked up from the PAL ROM.  It only works on old, inaccurate emulators like iNES by inputting PAL-friendly parameters.  Ironically, it should work in a real PAL NES, although perhaps not quite as fluidly as the real PAL ROM.  

What BeaglePuss/Mark has is the real deal (or he is a very skilled hacker, but I'll rely on his reputation that he isn't).  I'd love to take a look at it, but I don't think he would be willing to invite a stranger over to his house to play  

Oddly enough, I totally would.  Where are you in Mass?  

Also, you better be bringing the beer.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:47:53 AM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut

Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

Oddly enough, I totally would.  Where are you in Mass?  

Also, you better be bringing the beer.

You mean, quality beer.  It needs to be on par with what I gave you guys.