Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(Question) (NES) Why Do Collectors Ignore Non Liscensed Games?

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:24:55 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I don't know anywhere in my area that sold unlicensed games back then, not even Tengen. I only saw unlicensed at rental stores.

-------------------------

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:50:08 PM
Cladstation (44)
< Meka Chicken >
Quebec
i guess alot of collectors go for the Licenced stuff first , then if there not burnt out , they go for the unlicenced stuff

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:59:08 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
I don't touch unlicensed because I play my games, and I think the majority of unlicensed games stink. Bad gameplay and bad graphics is what keeps me away from unlicensed games....I'm also a bit of a graphics snob. This also keeps my collection "manageable."

When I come across them, they go into the "selling" pile.

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Edited: 04/04/2016 at 01:00 PM by KAMIKAWA

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:16:03 PM
cvgplus (12)
(Howard F) < Crack Trooper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: disrupture

I collect every NES game I can find, I really don't care if it's licensed or not. I just don't collect homebrews though.

This reflects me as well. I don't touch homebrews but I had some Tengen growing up and some of the unlicensed carts have great colors that stand out. I'll never have a complete licensed/unlicensed set unless I can find in the wild because I don't have the disposable income to pay for Stadium Events, etc. I like to play my games so when collecting from NES/Sega/SNES/N64 I have games that I must have that I like to play then try to fill in the rest a little at a time. The only complete set I can realistically see completing with my income in my lifetime is Sega Genesis. Now if I ever won the lottery, game on.

Some of my favorite games: Dune Battle for Arrakis. Golden Axes. Herzog Zwei. Doom/Quake. Starcraft 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day. TMNT 2 Arcade game. Turtles in TIme. Command and Conquer. Super Mario 2 and 3. Battletoads though its hard as he.l. I give up typing to many more to include.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:39:50 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York
Originally posted by: cvgplus

I collect every NES game I can find, I really don't care if it's licensed or not. I just don't collect homebrews though.

This reflects me as well. I don't touch homebrews but I had some Tengen growing up and some of the unlicensed carts have great colors that stand out. I'll never have a complete licensed/unlicensed set unless I can find in the wild because I don't have the disposable income to pay for Stadium Events, etc. I like to play my games so when collecting from NES/Sega/SNES/N64 I have games that I must have that I like to play then try to fill in the rest a little at a time. The only complete set I can realistically see completing with my income in my lifetime is Sega Genesis. Now if I ever won the lottery, game on.

I find Genesis even more intimidating than NES sometimes. There are more officially licensed titles than NES and it still has its fair share of heavy hitters you've gotta pony up for. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:54:50 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: TheToxicCollector

I find Genesis even more intimidating than NES sometimes. There are more officially licensed titles than NES and it still has its fair share of heavy hitters you've gotta pony up for. 

and nobody likes loose genesis carts. I feel like most people who go for a big genesis collection prefer CIB, and that's even more $$$. I don't think I've ever seen a big genesis collection that is loose only

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:56:38 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Is there anyway to look up the most expensive licensed Genny games without actually knowing?

I know Crusader of Centy, Splatterhouse 3, Sparkster, Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2, Hyperstone Heist come to mind but I am sure there is more.

No clue why it never occured to me but I could potentially get a full set if I really wanted to....I already own all the above mentioned titles with the exception of Splatterhouse 2, and they were all pretty well free.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:04:07 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I collect every NES game I can find

Is there anyway to look up the most expensive licensed Genny games without actually knowing?

I know Crusader of Centy, Splatterhouse 3, Sparkster, Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2, Hyperstone Heist come to mind but I am sure there is more.

No clue why it never occured to me but I could potentially get a full set if I really wanted to....I already own all the above mentioned titles with the exception of Splatterhouse 2, and they were all pretty well free.

On top of what you've already mentioned. Outback Joey is the big one, it's gonna set you back at least a couple grand. MUSHA too, that's a big one. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:05:31 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I collect every NES game I can find

On top of what you've already mentioned. Outback Joey is the big one, it's gonna set you back at least a couple grand. MUSHA too, that's a big one. 

Ahhh shit I forgot about MUSHA.......

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:08:55 PM
cvgplus (12)
(Howard F) < Crack Trooper >
Michigan
I all ready have more Genny games than any other system. I collect cart only for all systems and if they have the case its a bonus. I don't care how they display, if they are alphabetized that is all I care about. The heavy hitters for Genesis are much more reasonable than NES whether you include licensed or not. Here is just a list of Genny versus NES on vgpc on loose carts high to low. Outback Joey is the most expensive and I don't own at this time. Approximately each set has about 700 licensed titles/NA releases without looking up as well. Editing: Earlier I stated that I probably could only complete a Sega Genny Set cart only but a N64 is possibility as well. Lot less games and if you don't go for NFR variants and all types of variants then N64 isn't too bad either once you get Sculptor's cut out of the way which I don't own either and many of the NFR N64 games. It all depends on what someone considers a complete licensed collection and having to have all variants and if you are trying to use unlicensed as well.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/sega-genesis?sor...

http://videogames.pricecharting.c...

Some of my favorite games: Dune Battle for Arrakis. Golden Axes. Herzog Zwei. Doom/Quake. Starcraft 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day. TMNT 2 Arcade game. Turtles in TIme. Command and Conquer. Super Mario 2 and 3. Battletoads though its hard as he.l. I give up typing to many more to include.

Edited: 04/04/2016 at 03:00 PM by cvgplus

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:24:45 PM
DragonmasterDan (41)
(Dan Bailey) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Originally posted by: RockViper7

So.  As my signature states, I just recently dove headfirst back into NES / retro game collecting after about a 10 year absense and one thing I've noticed that I keep wondering about is why everyone basically seems to ignore the unlicensed games. 

It seems like they are basically just, well not ignored, but it seems like most people focus their collection on licensed only.  Why is that?

For me personally, back when I was in my original NES heyday an NES game was an NES game.

I actually used to get pretty excited when I saw one of "them weird looking" games out in the wild.  I didn't really care about whether or not it was licensed. 

My dream is still to have a complete collection, wich includes all games. 

Either way, I'm just curious.  Thanks.

A few reasons.

The first one is deciding where to draw the line becomes an issue. There's 677 US released NTSC games that were licensed by Nintendo.
There's also lots of promotional, test and diagnostic cartridges that aren't necessarily games but are more of demos or just "software" for the NES. Most people aren't collecting Nintendo Repair Center carts.
Then there's unlicensed games that were sold within the US. Where people draw the line on this varies as some things like Cheetahmen II weren't available to purchase until long after the NES had passed its natural retail lifespan in the US. If you decide "Complete to me includes all the unlicensed games" you have to make your own decisions. Does Cheetahmen II count? What about homebrews that have been made in the past few years? What about foreign unlicensed carts like all the Sachen stuff? It becomes a very slippery slope and soon the goal of a "complete collection" becomes neverending. As a result most people stick with the 677.

My Licensed NES collection. Now at 100%
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...
677/677

My TurboGrafx HuCard Collection at 100%
94/94

My US Virtual Boy CIB Collection at 100%
14/14

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:31:30 PM
Alf Pogs (4)
< Crack Trooper >
California
Thanks for all the awesome responses. All of them make lots of sense to me, I thought this particular quote from one of them sums everything up well: "This is exactly why I love this hobby as there is something for everybody and so many different ways to go about collecting for any system."

Getting back into it and reading all of this new info after so many years away has made me realize just how little I actually knew back in the day. I was just a kid who thought NES games were better than the current generation at the time and were dirt cheap so I just starting buying them up and it evolved into a collection. I still can't believe the hobby has blown up like it has. Really makes me wish I woulda been able to not walk away for ten years due to financial limitations. Ah well.

Off and on NES collector since roughly 1996.  Only need a couple more.
Lightly collect other stuff, too. But NES is the only complete set I'll ever try to get and it's only because I got in early.
Full on collector dork who also collect 80's action figures (primarily GI Joes) and comic books. The occasional card as well.