Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New Forum Need Name Suggestions

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 10 at 1:19:04 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: B.A.

^Yikes, ok. I'm not sure all of those would be considered legit suggestions.
Wasn't sure of the criteria so I just grabbed the ones that weren't total jokes.

I would get a list of about 10-15. Anymore and people would have analysis paralysis.

*registering analysisparalysis.com*

Oct 10 at 1:22:01 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: B.A.

^Yikes, ok. I'm not sure all of those would be considered legit suggestions.
Wasn't sure of the criteria so I just grabbed the ones that weren't total jokes.

I would get a list of about 10-15. Anymore and people would have analysis paralysis.

*registering analysisparalysis.com*

We're gonna try to narrow it to like five or so to choose from. Really appreciate you making the list!

-------------------------

Oct 10 at 1:23:36 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Gloves

Really appreciate you making the list!
You have no idea how tedious that actually was.  

Oct 10 at 1:24:28 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Sorted coz it makes it easier to search:

8bitera
advancedlevelgaming
agelesslegacy
agelessreplay
agelessrespawn
ageofgames
allgamesnetwork
atgforum
campaignmodecollectors
cartsandconsoles
classicgaming.io
cleanthecartridge
collectingplayingandmakingvideogames
collectionist
collectorsexodus
conqueredgaming
consolesandcarts
dankcollectors
dpadaddicts
exoduscollectors
gameage
gamecentral
gamecentral
gamecollector
gamehobby
gameplaza
gamersgauntlet
gamersloveapples
gamesgalore
gamesquare
gametalk
gameversation
gameworld
gaminghobby
generationmario
gollect
hiddenlevelclub
huntdowngames
levelupforum
leveluplegacy
marioshroomed
poweruppub
powerupquest
purplegannon
pursuitofgaming
pushstart
retrocollector.io
retroforum.io
retroforum.xyz
retrogaming.tech
retrogauntlet
retronext
retroworld.io
retroworld.xyz
savegameplay
sharkbitesgames
solomonskey
tapedungeon
tetrismattress
tetronimoisland
thatgamingfeeling
thecollectorsalliance
thecollectorsentity
thecollectorsunion
thegamepost
thegamingchair
thesnobbiestcollector
theunifiedgamers
thevideogamebrain
unifiedcollector
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightstart
vglobby
videogamehaven
videogamenirvana
videogamequest
videogamesacrosstheages
vintagegamecollectors
vintagegamesforum

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 10 at 1:26:27 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I clearly misspelled Ganon, if you guys want to update that suggestion

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 10 at 1:27:20 PM
____________ (15)

< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
loosecarts.com
missingthemanual.com
officialsealofquality.com
factorysealed.com
blackboxesandhangtabs.com
stickersealed.com
gametomfoolery.com
gameshenanigans.com
newnintendoagexl.com

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 03:05 PM by ____________

Oct 10 at 1:30:35 PM
3rdstrongestmole (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
I feel like we need an NCAA tourney bracket to get to the bottom of this 😂 ... But seriously.

Oct 10 at 1:41:35 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
There's something to be said for brevity too...

walmartsupercenter.com redirects to walmart.com, not the other way around after all

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 01:42 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 10 at 1:41:35 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
yeah, we don't just need a list of all suggestions, but the ones people would get behind. For what it's worth, here's my top few from that list:

cartsandconsoles
thegamingchair (or gamingchair)
vglobby (people will call it "vee globby" and that's fine)
factorysealed from joshf's list
and for some reason I like gamercantina from the other thread. It conveys the laid-back and not-snobbish feel we're trying to force

There are a dozen more that I'd be fine with, these are my top 5.

Edit: tournament bracket would be kinda fun though

Edit: More I think about it, it's not like I'm not going to hop over if I don't like the name. I'll be there regardless. Even if the new name is SplainIsDumb.com (available)
I and we should be focusing on names that are attractive to non-NA video game enthusiasts of all those 3 types discussed earlier.

collectorsexodus makes me lol. Anyone use a site called Experts Exchange for answers to computer questions? People call it Expert Sex Change even though they do everything they can to separate the two words.

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 02:12 PM by Splain

Oct 10 at 1:48:26 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I clearly misspelled Ganon, if you guys want to update that suggestion

I think you technically were right... Gannon is what he is called in the English translation for the original Zelda but it's Ganon in every English game after that iirc.

Might be a good idea to grab both domains if the forum ends up choosing that name and have the extra one redirect. I would probably suggest using the "Ganon" spelling for the actual name even though the joke is based off the original Zelda.

Oct 10 at 3:26:04 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: bootload

Consolesandcarts.com is available.

Abbreviating cartridge to cart would make me unsubscribe. It's unprofessional, you may as well use something like cartz2gamez.com or whatever the teenagers are writing now.

Holy shit what will we do? How will we survive? We honestly need your one "subcription" to make this whole thing work. 

Are you still wondering how this site got the reputation it does? I never mentioned anything about threatening to leave, nor that you needed me, I was letting you know that I would choose not to be a part of it. The same way I chose not to use WATA because they abbreviate cartridge to cart on their labels. I know WATA doesn't care and I'm fine with it, I just let them know and moved on.

If you're going to treat members of your site like this, you have to accept that fact that one person will choose not to be a part of it and your attitude will likely turn that one person into a few thousand.

You should trying being nicer to people.

Oct 10 at 3:32:54 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
What is all this nonsense?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 10 at 3:45:03 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: tbone3969

About the bickering or a community motion to move to greener pastures?  TL;DR, this place was bought and the new owners have no desire to maintain and upgrade it.  The state of the current servers, so members are pro-actively planning am exit strategy on  an updated, modernized site with secured servers.

Oct 10 at 3:47:11 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada

Abbreviating cartridge to cart would make me unsubscribe. It's unprofessional, you may as well use something like cartz2gamez.com or whatever the teenagers are writing now.

Holy shit what will we do? How will we survive? We honestly need your one "subcription" to make this whole thing work. 

Are you still wondering how this site got the reputation it does? I never mentioned anything about threatening to leave, nor that you needed me, I was letting you know that I would choose not to be a part of it. The same way I chose not to use WATA because they abbreviate cartridge to cart on their labels. I know WATA doesn't care and I'm fine with it, I just let them know and moved on.

If you're going to treat members of your site like this, you have to accept that fact that one person will choose not to be a part of it and your attitude will likely turn that one person into a few thousand.

You can count on them treating people this way in the new site. I still stand with what I said before, people don't dislike NA, they dislike some of the members that are on here and some of those members are looking to migrate to a new site that will eventually end up being a handful of them in a few years 

Oct 10 at 3:49:05 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
I'd like to add that though you can scrape much forum content on this site, active users can always repost their threads that contained information for the community, like my complete variant list for GB carts. If we all work together, we can move/archive a lot of these details.

Also... I wouldn't mind if there was a way to verify NA account ownership and copying over feedback ratings. Even if it's just the number. I know, people could ask for a lot but IMHO, the most important piece of info about a user when trading is that number. Do we all want to start from scratch? Maybe it's not worth it, but just a suggestion I think 75% of us would deeply appreciate.

Oct 10 at 3:51:41 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Sorry, one more. Once the new forum is established, one of the best ways to get word out about it from here is for all active users to update their sigs stating the communities moved and link to the site. If we formalize a sig, people should get the idea quickly when they search google for info and land hear.

Oct 10 at 3:54:46 PM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: rlh

About the bickering or a community motion to move to greener pastures?  TL;DR, this place was bought and the new owners have no desire to maintain and upgrade it.  The state of the current servers, so members are pro-actively planning am exit strategy on  an updated, modernized site with secured servers.

bUt hOW dARe UsERs cOMpLaIn aBOut theIR sEcURitY aND pRivACy

Oct 10 at 3:56:39 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: rlh

I chat here and I also chat around on Reddit because I use Reddit for other reasons. People around here have experience. People on Reddit are more casual-- I see the same questions again and again, verifying carts, asking how to clean stuff, questions about games and a bunch of "check out muh hallllll!", and a bunch of casual chat and game recommendations.

The point is, these types of casual gamer/collectors are different than the more hardcore collectors around here. If you guys want to build a new community with new blood, you have to welcome the casuals and the casuals post a bunch of "dumb" stuff. I hate to word it that way, but that's how it would be perceived. If you want a place like this to live and thrive, you've got to welcome people where they are... so you can build your person pretenses into them with time. (j/k) But, in all seriousness, the only complaints I hear about this place outside of here can be summed up with that this place is "pompous". I'm not saying they are right, but if we build another echoing chamber of the way things currently are, the community will not grow.

Great post here. Great points..

Reddit r/NES is littered with "look at muh haul of [common] games!!!!!" and "weeeeee, look at me I beat Ninja Gaiden 1!!!!" type of posts.  

Oct 10 at 3:57:09 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
I'll just stay here, thank you.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 10 at 4:02:14 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

No offense, but this is overly dramatic. Your original comment seemed irrational and excessive to me. The response was just sarcasm and you're taking it too personally. I know this place has a reputation, but this isn't really respelredentative of the perceived elitism and attitude of users here. His response was pretty tame compared to what you would get on many active game forums.

Oct 10 at 4:04:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I'll just stay here, thank you.

Feel free, but there might not be a "here" if someone nasty discovers the security exploits.

Oct 10 at 4:05:17 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
I like cartsandconsoles and factorysealed. These are catchy, quick, and represent the site content well. Only minor complaint is that the first one ignores the disc based era, but I don't feel it would have a significant impact. I mean, this site has Nintendo in the name and people still talk about all consoles and PC.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Oct 10 at 4:27:38 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
I think it would be really awesome to have a game suggestion tool that suggests games based on answering a few questions and rating a handful of games on a scale of five stars. It would suggest a game and then have backups. Netflix used to have this feature years ago, I'm not sure if it still does.

Oct 10 at 5:18:07 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

I think it would be really awesome to have a game suggestion tool that suggests games based on answering a few questions and rating a handful of games on a scale of five stars. It would suggest a game and then have backups. Netflix used to have this feature years ago, I'm not sure if it still does.

I'd love to make this. I started coding one just for 3DS games, maybe 5-6 years ago when I was active on r/3DS. I made a survey for people to fill out, but even with a few dozen respondents it wasn't really enough data to make a good suggestion tool, e.g., I didn't want to suggest a game that only had 1 person's recommendation/association. Netflix can do it effectively becaue they have access to huge heaps of data. It would be fun to do one that spans all video games, and you could narrow it down to specific systems if you wanted. But I would need huge amounts of input from everyone, since it's only useful when it starts dipping into the stuff that not everyone has heard of.

Edit to not hijack the thread: It would be an interesting project, but in all honesty it would take a long time before we had something that works better than this: https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/r...
Unless we wanted it to be specifically based on our own recommendations. We can continue discussion elsewhere if desired

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 06:24 PM by Splain

Oct 10 at 5:41:40 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
Maybe incentivizing taking a brief survey for a free month of a subscription service could bring in data. I also think a fun way to do it could be by gathering data from an active recommendation thread that would be set to recommend 1 game based on the previous user's recommended game with no need to comment why. However, idiot posts would have to be ignored.