Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Re-glueing an NES cart label Any good way to do this?

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:37:13 AM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
  I have a Legend of Zelda gold cart that I picked up at another yard sale, but the top part of the sticker has come up from the cart and is encrusted with dirt/debris. Is there any good way of cleaning that back part of the sticker and reglueing it?

-------------------------

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:53:56 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Depending on how much and type of debris , I usually use a dry sponge to wipe the dirt/debris off the back of the label. [If need be, I will slightly wet the sponge to remove whatever I couldnt get off with the dry sponge. It's very important to let the back/label dry completely, if you needed to use the damp sponge, before trying to reglue with either method mentioned below.]

Then I always try to use a blow dryer to heat the original glue to make it tacky again. I have had much luck getting the original glue to work as long as you remove all/majority of the debris from the back of the label. If the original glue doesn't hold, then I use the pink glue stick, as it does not bleed through like super glue seems to do whenever I try it.

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Edited: 07/16/2012 at 11:58 AM by dewisp02

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:03:39 PM
m308gunner (63)
Connecticut
Is the pink glue stick something that is widely available, like at walmart or something? What brand is it?

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:58:16 PM
Sneak (37)

(Ryan K) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I posed this question in a thread a while back. http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=8&...   

It seemed to be the consensus among most NA'ers was either using a glue stick or some "school" (or craft) glue.

I personally ended up using some regular craft glue on a few of my carts labels that were peeling. The glue still seems to be holding well enough, and I the labels weren't discoloured from the glue, so I'd give that a try.

Edited: 07/16/2012 at 01:01 PM by Sneak

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:10:46 PM
m308gunner (63)
Connecticut
You went with the liquid glue (Elmers?) and not the glue stick?

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:34:19 PM
dewisp02 (78)
Indiana
Just the normal glue stick kids use in school. I use the pink colored ones, but there are clearish/whitish ones, too.

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:42:18 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
What about rubber cement? I've never tried it but it seems like it'd work.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:45:51 PM
m308gunner (63)
Connecticut
I read somewhere that the rubber cement method was less than satisfactory to the one who used it. I'll try the glue stick. Thanks Mr. Jason!

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:11:43 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
I've done it with regular glue before. Just cleaned it off (any dirt), put a little bit of glue, and then put it in a spot to hold it together for about a day (like between two books or something). It's always worked fine for me and turned out presentable.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:12:43 PM
C_Ux2 (3)
(C Ux2) < Crack Trooper >
United Kingdom
In regard to glueing it back down: I use permanent spray mount to stick my labels to my carts. This is, basically, super glue in a can. 

If you was only repairing a fine area you would need to mask off the rest of the cart as obviously you're spraying glue, but this way you would get a very fine and equal layer of glue on the surface of the cart.

I guess it depends how much of the label has come up as to whether it's worth using spray mount.

I use one of this brand, when it's the entire label that needs glueing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NJZXHS/ref=asc_df_B000NJZXHS8...

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:03:55 PM
dewisp02 (78)
Indiana
No problem.

I rarely have to use the glue stick as I can about 95% of the time get the original glue to become tacky enough using a blow dryer. I prefer to do it this way. I would suggest try the different methods with dupe carts and see which method you prefer.

Edited: 07/16/2012 at 04:04 PM by dewisp02

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:19:49 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I would stay away from the stronger glues. They may look fine now, but they might eat their way through within a few years.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:28:48 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
I used Elmers no-wrinkle rubber cement and a toothpick to get it underneath the label.