Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Made in Mexico" Alfred Chicken - NES Found this while looking through my NES collection

May 11, 2012 at 6:56:48 PM
Controller (0)
(That idiot who's here) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
So, I was browsing my NES games, looking for one I should play (I don't have much variety, only about twenty games). When I was looking at my Alfred Chicken cart, I noticed something.

Noticably, where it should say "Made in Japan", it says "Made in Mexico".

I did get this game from a flea market, though. Might as well be a bootleg.

I don't know.

May 11, 2012 at 7:07:20 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
That looks legit to me.

May 11, 2012 at 7:39:03 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
(hmmm, I think NA is coming near to discover our conspiracy)...

-------------------------

May 11, 2012 at 11:01:14 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Mine says "Made In Japan" on it...maybe it's a later run? Maybe one batch was done in Japan and another in Mexico...it's a late release title, so maybe after the initial batch Nintendo allowed Mindscape to manufacture their own carts for another run...purely speculation, but that definitely looks legit.

EDIT: Unless the label is actually pink...it should be white

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 11:01 PM by the_wizard_666

May 12, 2012 at 4:05:16 AM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Bienvenidos a Alfred Pollo :-P

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 12, 2012 at 6:54:37 AM
prostkxy (1)

(Alex Y) < Tourian Tourist >
Victoria
mine is a pal a version and has a black label with a differet picture on it. and its also made in japan.

May 12, 2012 at 9:30:46 PM
divingninja (48)
(Kirkland Sweeney) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Interesting. Mine is made in Japan too, but that might be legit. I know world games has an oval seal that is in Spanish but it still says made in Japan on it.

Know any NES cartridge variants that I don't have on this list?
http://www.nintendoage.com/index....
Let me know if you have confirmed any that I need to add! Thanks!

May 13, 2012 at 12:22:12 AM
Shogun (53)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Mine is also made in Japan. I wonder if because of the extremely late release date for this title ('93), some NES games were switching to Mexican production, like SNES did late in its life? I would assume not pirate. If they were going to pirate it and keep the label exactly the same, why would the only change that? Especially when it would be unnoticeable to 99% of consumers. (unless it really is that pink color)

May 13, 2012 at 8:06:12 AM
Controller (0)
(That idiot who's here) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
It's my scanner that made it the pink color; it's really white.

And the stupid image-hosting program resizes the scans.

May 15, 2012 at 2:30:55 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Take a picture of the back of the cart.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

May 15, 2012 at 2:35:06 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

The back may not tell us anything though.  Back swaps are fairly commonplace these days.  That said, it's still worth taking a pic to see what's there.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 15, 2012 at 10:01:07 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
majesco NES !

eBay listings here

May 15, 2012 at 6:03:13 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

The back may not tell us anything though.  Back swaps are fairly commonplace these days.  That said, it's still worth taking a pic to see what's there.

Back swaps are only common among collectors, not regular-folk.  And since the odds of a back swap happening before this cart fell into the op's hands is next to nill, a picture of the back will show us who manufactured the cart.

I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Edited: 05/15/2012 at 06:13 PM by Dr. Morbis

May 16, 2012 at 12:02:57 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Back swaps are only common among collectors, not regular-folk.  And since the odds of a back swap happening before this cart fell into the op's hands is next to nill, a picture of the back will may show us who  manufactured the cart.

Edited for accuracy

May 16, 2012 at 12:12:28 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I'm interested in the back, too. I always figured NES cartridges were always manufactured in Japan, unless of course, they were unlicensed or pirated.

May 16, 2012 at 1:28:34 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta

Back swaps are only common among collectors, not regular-folk.  And since the odds of a back swap happening before this cart fell into the op's hands is next to nill, a picture of the back will may show us who  manufactured the cart.

Edited for accuracy

Huh?  How could it not?  Every licensed cart names the company of manufacture on the back...

May 16, 2012 at 1:32:40 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

I'm interested in the back, too. I always figured NES cartridges were always manufactured in Japan, unless of course, they were unlicensed or pirated.

A handful of late-era licensed games were manufactured by publishers other than Nintendo.  I'd have to look at my own carts to be sure, but I would think that not all of those companies would have had their games produced in factories in Japan.

May 16, 2012 at 11:26:14 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Edited for accuracy

Huh?  How could it not?  Every licensed cart names the company of manufacture on the back...

The odds are slim, but it's still possible a back swap happened somewhere over the course of the last 20ish years.