Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

pinball machines what are the must play machines?

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:25:10 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: MrClutch

Originally posted by: Austin

I was thinking about trading my Neo Geo 4-slot and some cash for either a Judge Dredd, Johnny Mnemonic, or Demolition Man.

I'm leaning towards Dredd because it looks pretty fun, anybody have any thoughts on those three?

Personally, I enjoy Demo Man the most. Dredd has a lot of modes but the multiballs are lacking and the wizard mode isn't much. Johnny has good flow but the theme is a bit "meh" and the scoring's a bit broken. Demo Man is the most balanced of the bunch, has great flow, good theme integration and both of its wizard-esque modes (Cryo Prison Multiball and Demolition Time) are always satisfying to get to. You can also play combos all day if you want and the triggers add other scoring opportunities. Great game overall in my opinion.

Thanks dude! I was a little worried about the gun controls on Demolition Man, do you use them?

I use them exclusively, but they are completely optional. If you get comfortable with them though, you can an extra million points per combo, then you get another million per combo made with the triggers as end of ball bonus, so there is serious extra scoring potential by using the triggers. There are extra secrets that can be triggered occasionally with them as well.

-------------------------
| gameplay and talk |

Edited: 03/28/2016 at 11:26 PM by Austin

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:01:18 AM
Ryder4864 (196)

(Michael D) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania

I was thinking about trading my Neo Geo 4-slot and some cash for either a Judge Dredd, Johnny Mnemonic, or Demolition Man.

I'm leaning towards Dredd because it looks pretty fun, anybody have any thoughts on those three?

I've had a Johnny Mnemonic and it was pretty interested with very fast game play.  My spinner for the 320 GB didn't work, so the game wouldn't progress to the shut down mode.  I traded it for a Mousin' Around and cash.  The Mousin' Around was an incredibly fun game, but the diverter assembly was missing, thus the game didn't play correctly either.  Sold that to go on a trip to Vegas.

In short, make sure whatever game you get works 100% or you may not experience the full game.

Everything is better CIB.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:03:15 AM
Ryder4864 (196)

(Michael D) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: G-Type

Originally posted by: Br81zad

Originally posted by: G-Type

Joust is a pretty amazing 2 player pinball experience.

I 2nd that!

Got the chance to play that at our local arcade expo a few weeks ago.

Yea, unfortunately its not a very common game.

I played it at the Let's Play Expo last year. Pretty cool. Also played Varkon which was essentially a pinball machine put into an arcade cabinet.

There's a Joust pinball machine in Aliquippa, PA at a place called Pinball PA (http://coinophof.com/...).  It was kind of a neat game, but a little different than the usual pinball.

Everything is better CIB.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:03:43 PM
nicktendo (0)
< Crack Trooper >
I don't necessarily think these are "must play machines" but these are the two I was fortunate enough to have in my home growing up (Both Gottlieb machines):

Totem - Really simple playfield but it was always a challenge. Also had the coolest back-glass!

Pro Football - Pretty old school, had 4 flippers which I always thought was cool.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:01:05 PM
snatch1414 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
My favorites, because why not:

Tales of the Arabian Nights
Cirqus Voltaire
Fun House
Whirlwind
Lord of the Rings
Monster Bash
Theatre of Magic
Space Shuttle
X-Men (more thematically than anything else)
Guns n' Roses (similar to above, but they're both good I think)

Listen to the Snatch Gaming Podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter:  @SnatchGames

Edited: 03/29/2016 at 02:01 PM by snatch1414

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:32:01 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
My local bowling alley just got a Pirates of the Caribbean table in. I dropped 5 bucks into it on Sunday and it was a good time.
Blast a ship with the balls and sink it, then battle the Kraken. Also has a dead man's chest and some other elements from the movies.

Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:08:28 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: 0xero0

My local bowling alley just got a Pirates of the Caribbean table in. I dropped 5 bucks into it on Sunday and it was a good time.
Blast a ship with the balls and sink it, then battle the Kraken. Also has a dead man's chest and some other elements from the movies.

A lot of the TV/Movie pins are pretty cool. Last year I got to play a Dirty Harry,Indiana Jones,and Iron Man pin which were fun. I still seem to gravitate towards the olderish pins...like 70s-90s.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:06:52 PM
CT (2)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Addams Family
Wizard of Oz
Game of Thrones
Sopranos
World Cup
Twilight Zone

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:38:13 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
How about the ones you find in Gomer Pyle USMC episodes?  Any of you pinball enthusiats identify them?

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)