Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Homebrew FAQ Read this before asking if so and so can be put on a cart.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:57:46 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Can xxxxxxxxxxxxx* be ported and put on a cart?

Yes, if you program it.

But it's already programmed!  Like MegaMan 10!

It's not possible.  You can't just take a game that looks like it would work on the NES and make it work on the NES.

What about Super Mario Crossover!  It has NES characters!

Just because it uses NES sprites does not mean it would work on the NES.

Is there a program that makes it easy to program new games?

No.

How do I learn to program?

Read these: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

You know what would be awesome on NES?  xxxxxxxxxx!!

Cool, learn to program and make it yourself.

But I don't want to waste my time.  Can't anyone else do it?

Unless you're paying five figures, no.

*: Flash games like Super Mario Crossover.  Abobo's Adventure, or console games like MegaMan 9, MegaMan 10, Super Meat Boy, Retro City Rampage, etc.

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 09/03/2018 at 02:27 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:30:04 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Thanks Kevin... you are my hero!

You should probably change the title to include "READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS"

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 12:31 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:52:44 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I think the "learn how to program" links should be pointing to rudimentary programming so one can learn programming logic and concepts before ASM. Just a suggestion

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:09:55 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Stickied

Beyond MM10, you want to toss on up a list of commonly asked games? Like the following are some of the many games that cannot be repro'd

Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Super Mario Crossover

And about a billion others that we often hear about. Just a suggestion, but either way thanks for taking this on!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 01:59 PM by MrMark0673

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:55:31 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dra600n

I think the "learn how to program" links should be pointing to rudimentary programming so one can learn programming logic and concepts before ASM. Just a suggestion

Excellent point.

Newcomers should tackles something like Codecademy before trying to jump into ASM with no prior experience.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:33:03 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Thanks Kevin. This should HOPEFULLY save NA a lot of time ;-)

Also, getting someone to do programming work is really hard even if your paying. I still need someone to help me with a SNES project and YES I am paying!

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:33:43 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I believe SMC can work on an NES. Last I checked, it doesn't do anything wild like a million unique colors on screen, and most characters use 1 sprite palette data, Mega Man and Bill using two. What would be rather questionable would be the music, as not many NES games use a similar sound driver. And lastly, I'd give the characters more appropriate traits, like Mega Man can sustain more hits with Bill having only 1 HP.

I also believe 9 and 10 can work on an NES, with a few things cut out that can't work. Like the smooth fading in/out. The Mega Man games were torture tests on the NES hardware with each subsequent release, so slowdown at any given time shouldn't be unexpected.

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 04:35 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:58:07 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Luigi_Master

I believe SMC can work on an NES. Last I checked, it doesn't do anything wild like a million unique colors on screen, and most characters use 1 sprite palette data, Mega Man and Bill using two. What would be rather questionable would be the music, as not many NES games use a similar sound driver. And lastly, I'd give the characters more appropriate traits, like Mega Man can sustain more hits with Bill having only 1 HP.

You are missing the point.

ALL of those games would have to be reprogrammed from scratch to even possibly work on the NES, assuming they dont' violate any other rules of the PPU.

It's not that a person couldn't write a game that would approximate those titles.
It's that endless waves of people come on the forum and ask if it's possible to "get the ROM" or "put it on a cart"... as if they believe it's actually an NES game.  (same thing with Abobo's Big Adventure and Retro City Rampage)

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:09:27 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
From my understanding, there isn't a lot the NES can't handle for SMC.

25 total colors, 13 for backgrounds, 12 for sprites. Each sprite is given 3 colors, so to have more colors, your character has to be pieced together in away to look seamless, like an extra tile for Mega Man's face of Bill being colored two ways for his upper and lower half.

I know the premise of the thread, I just felt like throwing my two cents in the air..

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 04:35 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:14:45 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I haven't written a game in ASM, either, but it doesn't make me less exasperated at the endless throngs of people asking how to "put a ROM on a cart" for a game written in Flash.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:22:14 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
SMC would need to be coded from scratch. Along with that, I doubt many people want to take the risk of breaking multiple copyright infringement laws in the process, using several companies IP's just to make a fan base game.

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:56:42 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
I don't see how the copyright infringement argument makes sense considering the original Super Mario Crossover hasn't run into corporate complaints.

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 06:57 PM by Guntz

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:02:44 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Guntz

I don't see how the copyright infringement argument makes sense considering the original Super Mario Crossover hasn't run into corporate complaints.

Is someone making money off the IP currently? That usually gets the lawyers in motion, and when you're talking reproduction work, you're often talking about someone making money off the work involved. Definitely a game changer.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:08:21 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Originally posted by: Guntz

Is someone making money off the IP currently? That usually gets the lawyers in motion, and when you're talking reproduction work, you're often talking about someone making money off the work involved. Definitely a game changer.

Exactly. I'm sure someone could program and release the ROM for free without any hassle, but once a repro is made, lawyers will have a field day, and if the repro makers have any equity with things they own, they risk losing it all. Not a fun thing to get involved with.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:09:53 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Wasn't someone attempting to port MM9?

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:55:34 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
In all fairness, brewers were asking for ideas for homebrew some time ago.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:59:20 PM
guest2586 (1)

(guest user) < Crack Trooper >
United States
i WISH super mario crossover would come over to a NES cart repro. can't they just palette swap out all characters and avoid the legal rules? they can make bill rizer look like an army soldier, and link can just be a hero with a sword akin to lufia 2

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:33:48 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: AlirazaVideoGames

i WISH super mario crossover would come over to a NES cart repro. can't they just palette swap out all characters and avoid the legal rules? they can make bill rizer look like an army soldier, and link can just be a hero with a sword akin to lufia 2

Yes, they could, probably, if they were so inclined.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:40:39 PM
Callin (2)
(Andy ) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
If we were making an emulator, would Homebrew be the appropriate section? It's not really clear if this is just for NES/cart dev or not.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:39:19 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Callin

If we were making an emulator, would Homebrew be the appropriate section? It's not really clear if this is just for NES/cart dev or not.

Yes.  This section is for any kind of dev project related to video games (not even exclusive to Nintendo).

I'm looking forward to seeing your thread.  I would love to see an emulator designed to support broader commercialization of NES homebrew projects by making them available as purchases through Steam, for instance.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:45:02 AM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
I have a general question about homebrew prices. I have seen Xmas 2008 cartridges go for $300 in the last year. Why is it that limited edition homebrews like Kitty's Catch only demand maybe $75 to $100? There has got to be at least the same amount (if not more) of Xmas 2008 cartridges in the wild, and they were both released roughly around the same time.

Edited: 08/08/2012 at 08:45 AM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:28:47 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

I have a general question about homebrew prices. I have seen Xmas 2008 cartridges go for $300 in the last year. Why is it that limited edition homebrews like Kitty's Catch only demand maybe $75 to $100? There has got to be at least the same amount (if not more) of Xmas 2008 cartridges in the wild, and they were both released roughly around the same time.

Logically it's because it's custom, and it's something most people weren't around for that they'd be more likely to want. Hence why memblers Garage Cart goes for a ton too. It's an important/different piece.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:52:43 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Kitty's Catch is not a homebrew, isn't part of a continuing set, is about a year newer, and around double were sold. With the ROM out anyone can build a Kitty's Catch but it takes actual hardware knowledge to build the Xmas carts because they are not donors. Plus the Xmas carts have blinky lights!

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:55:54 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Yep, it's all about the blinken lights

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:33:25 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Sticky...?

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed