Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Building a complete list of GAME BOY cartridge variants and errors. Please feel free to contribute! Google Sheets document provided.

Aug 13 at 4:25:21 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
True, but it can be complete as possible.

EDIT

Here’s the crazy thing about Castlevania Adventure.  I flipped back and forth between your image and the common one.  Seems like the main difference is that the main version has a TM by the large GAME BOY, where yours has a small R.  Why would this even matter?!

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 08/13/2019 at 04:31 PM by rlh

Aug 13 at 4:39:15 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
I also won this:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/...

It's in shipping as well but looking at the copyright date it looks like these odd Rated E games came out in 1996.

Aug 13 at 4:52:40 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Originally posted by: rlh

I also won this:

It's in shipping as well but looking at the copyright date it looks like these odd Rated E games came out in 1996.

Congrats on the CIB!  Looks to be in decent shape too

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Aug 13 at 5:01:20 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

I also won this:

Congrats on the CIB!  Looks to be in decent shape too

Thanks, it does seem nice.  I actually considered selling the box and manual to recoup costs but, I don’t know.  This ones quite rare and with time might be one of a few small gems of my collection, even if no one else values these likr I might.

Edited: 08/13/2019 at 05:09 PM by rlh

Aug 13 at 5:03:41 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Oh wow, it's got a rev-4 manual. Nice pickup!

Aug 13 at 5:09:04 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Splain

Oh wow, it's got a rev-4 manual. Nice pickup!

Yeah, and I have an idea about that. I don’t think this means that there are 5 versions.  I’ve seen large jumps before (the Zelda manual that wasn’t square, for isntance) and I’m beginning to think that initially manual revs matched the game they were paired with, but at some point so there would be an ID difference, Nintendo diverged from the game and maybe “standardized” on jumping up to “-4” so that if they made an extra cart rev or two, they’d have unassigned serial numbers.  It’s just a hunch though.  You see hundreds of no-rev manuals, no “-1”s or “-2”s and then you see a one off “-4”.  Others have been staring at early manuals longer than me so they may know better but to me this doesn’t make much sense.

Aug 14 at 1:31:21 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
There are totally 5 versions, I have a few of them and I've seen pics of all of them. Same with Zelda, 0-3 are square and -4 is rectangle. There are a handful of other games that go up to 4 as well. I even ran into a SML2 AUS-8 and vowed never to branch out of USA manual variants. I really want to know what could possibly have spurred enough changed to print 5 versions of SML2. And Zelda. And Donkey Kong Land. And SML1. And Tetris. And Wheel of Fortune. At least with your pickup there's reason to believe that SML2 stops at 4, lol.

Aug 15 at 12:13:38 AM
jvoss (10)
< Crack Trooper >
California
Here is one more to add to the list Raging Fighter has the large Konami logo

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b7...

Even Dough Boy gets lucky.

1100 gb/c out of 5099 documented games.  15% done.

Edited: 08/15/2019 at 12:45 AM by jvoss

Sep 09 at 8:32:48 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Ok, I added the above mentioned Castlevania Adventure and Raging Fighter titles. Thanks guys. It's been a busy past month or so.

Also, I'm striking off the list that DMG-DT-USA-1 revision of DuckTales. No one has found an example, and after further looking into samples on eBay, most "DMG" corrected copies tend to be paired with THQ boxes, so I think instead of increasing the rev, they fixed the "DMT". We've mentioned this before, but unless someone can find a photo of "DMG-DT-USA-1" out there, I'm going to consider that an error in the NA database, or maybe that was a new revision on the box/manual. If a copy does surface, I can just add it back to the list.

So that's a net increase of only 1 new cart to add. I've still yet to spot a rev-1 Castlevania and I've been following auctions since you posted that Splain. This could be another tough one.

Sep 09 at 1:10:57 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Yeah, I've never seen a THQ-label Ducktales. The DMG labels with THQ boxes... yeah. It would be really great to actually see a rev-1.

In unrelated news, I picked up a slightly-better-label rated-E SML2, and a good-quality Zelda rev-2 that was paired with a rectangular rev-4 manual. It kinda makes me mad that I previously bought bad-label copies of these, so even though I think "I should have grabbed that trash one while I could," I'm ok with just waiting for the condition I want, moving forward.

Sep 09 at 2:40:44 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Yeah, I've never seen a THQ-label Ducktales. The DMG labels with THQ boxes... yeah. It would be really great to actually see a rev-1.

In unrelated news, I picked up a slightly-better-label rated-E SML2, and a good-quality Zelda rev-2 that was paired with a rectangular rev-4 manual. It kinda makes me mad that I previously bought bad-label copies of these, so even though I think "I should have grabbed that trash one while I could," I'm ok with just waiting for the condition I want, moving forward.

Well, I just went through my personal spreadsheet and market all games with a new field of "Have a variant of some form" flag.  After filtering on that, I only need 40 more games to complete my set, regardless of revision.  After that, I'll fill in the games for special revs and and will clean up the 15 or so poor quality carts I already own.

I see... the light at the end of the tunnel for the complete set.  Not related to the topic at hand but, Splain (or anyone) how did you manage to get a copy of Darkman.  You must have picked up the last reasonable one on the bay, or something.  It's been eluding me for a looooooong time, and I'd really rather not drop another $50+ on a game if I don't have too. :/

Sep 09 at 3:14:06 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Well, I just went through my personal spreadsheet and market all games with a new field of "Have a variant of some form" flag.

My spreadsheet was always a list of all games, (one line per game) with a separate tab for variants. Completing the fullset (any variant each) was always #1 for me, but I could probably merge them now that I have at least one variant per game.

I thought I had found Darkman on Amazon in a huge stroke of luck, but looking now, there isn't even a listing for it. I must be thinking of a different game. I remember opening it when it came in the mail, so maybe it was ebay. It took a lot of camping to find it though. And yiiiikes, looking on ebay now is not a pretty sight. I maintained a list of the top 50 priciest GB games, updated monthly, and I kept on the lookout for anything I was missing from that list. If I see another copy anywhere, I'll let you know.

Sep 09 at 3:24:11 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Yeah, those expensive copies have been there for as long as I've looked but no one has ever bought one at that price. The ironic thing is, is that sealed copy is rather cheap for a game this rare but to heck with buying that thing when I actually dream of one day playing through the entire library.

Sep 09 at 4:08:48 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Im lucky that I did my research before buying some games. I remember talking to people saying how HARD of a time I had finding certain cheap GB games years ago. Then their price finally caught up, although they're still relatively cheap compared to NES, from where they were they shot up.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 09 at 4:12:38 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Im lucky that I did my research before buying some games. I remember talking to people saying how HARD of a time I had finding certain cheap GB games years ago. Then their price finally caught up, although they're still relatively cheap compared to NES, from where they were they shot up.

This is truth. Jimmy Connor’s Tennis and Toxic Crusader are a couple of the most recent games that have sky rocketed.  There’s always a good news/bad news to games going up.  It sucks when they are expensive, but once they break $100, it gets owners attention ans everyone with the rare game starts putting theirs on eBay, so supply does go up.  That kind of happened with F-1 Pole Position too.

Sep 09 at 4:51:58 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Stupid F1 Pole Position. I bought that dumb thing at the wrong time. But at least I picked up Jimmy Connor before the skyrocket. Win some lose some.

If anyone finds a rev-1 of anything more expensive than Kid Dracula, just keep quiet!

Sep 09 at 4:56:10 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Stupid F1 Pole Position. I bought that dumb thing at the wrong time. But at least I picked up Jimmy Connor before the skyrocket. Win some lose some.

If anyone finds a rev-1 of anything more expensive than Kid Dracula, just keep quiet!

Yeah, I think I got my Rev-1 Kid Drac for $70-75 and it’s in great shape..  That was painful.

I concur, though, if someone finds a rev-1 Spud’s Adventure, just throw it in wood chipper and the 3-4 of us will just pay you to keep quite!

Sep 09 at 5:24:29 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Originally posted by: guitarzombie

This is truth. Jimmy Connor’s Tennis and Toxic Crusader are a couple of the most recent games that have sky rocketed.  There’s always a good news/bad news to games going up.  It sucks when they are expensive, but once they break $100, it gets owners attention ans everyone with the rare game starts putting theirs on eBay, so supply does go up.  That kind of happened with F-1 Pole Position too.

yeah, that was I think the 4th or 5th game I got for GB?  I was looking thru a pile and saw it for like $2.  I said to myself "I think this is really rare?", so I did some research (PC had it for like $7) so I went and got it the next day.  Thats when PC didn't know the difference between US and PAL versions and Jimmy Connors Tennis and F1 are really the only ones that have that distinction.  I got into GB when the rare stuff wasn't disgusting.  I think it got Toxic for $30?  Which was fair at the time.

With F-1 heres a tip, check over seas stores that might confuse the US version with the PAL version.  Still hard but you can get lucky.  

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

Sep 09 at 5:25:55 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Yeah, I think I got my Rev-1 Kid Drac for $70-75 and it’s in great shape..  That was painful.

I concur, though, if someone finds a rev-1 Spud’s Adventure, just throw it in wood chipper and the 3-4 of us will just pay you to keep quite!

I HIGHLY doubt this.  A lot of the normal GB rares were shipped over to Europe (like Germany) to sell, which is why Spud, Tater, Stop That Roach you can find in Europe.  Also I have no idea why certain games have PAL versions like Swamp Thing.  AFAIK its the same game, and not even in a different language, its just the seal thats different?

Sep 13 at 12:58:09 AM
0xDEAFC0DE (0)
(Bennett ) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois

There are totally 5 versions, I have a few of them and I've seen pics of all of them. Same with Zelda, 0-3 are square and -4 is rectangle. There are a handful of other games that go up to 4 as well. I even ran into a SML2 AUS-8 and vowed never to branch out of USA manual variants. I really want to know what could possibly have spurred enough changed to print 5 versions of SML2. And Zelda. And Donkey Kong Land. And SML1. And Tetris. And Wheel of Fortune. At least with your pickup there's reason to believe that SML2 stops at 4, lol.

Do you still have pictures for the -2 or -3 manuals? I've done a bit of searching but was only able to find 0, -1, and -4.

Also do you know what carts or boxes these where matched with? From what I've found these are the combinations I think exist.
C I B
-0 -0 -0
-1 -0 -1
-1 -1 -1
-2 ? ?
-3 -4 Bundle

Edit: I found the -3 manual, but it's with the -3 cart and -1 box (https://www.ebay.com/itm/273862557819). I assume this is an IMP? I thought the -3 cart only came with the bundle.
Edit2: Apprently I didn't look that hard, I found the same CIB (-3 cart, -3 manual, and -1 box) here (https://zeldacollection.com/nintendo-game-boy/the-legend-of-... ). 

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 01:13 AM by 0xDEAFC0DE

Sep 13 at 1:56:31 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I made the decision not to collect pictures of the manuals as I found them, because it would end up being hundreds and hundreds of them, making the catalog a lot more cumbersome. The idea is that I'll just trust my own eyes, and as I collect them, I'll be able to take pics for anyone who wants them. Unfortunately I can't verify anything for anyone else unless I own it, so the best I can do right now is just say that yes, I've seen a pic of Zelda manuals rev 0 thru 4, but I haven't taken good notes of what box and cart they came with. That might turn into one of those "nah, I'm not interested in that info" things that I wish I had kept better track of in a year when I become interested.  

I saw a Super Mario Land rev-7 manual a few weeks ago, and I probably should have kept that picture, since I already doubt it myself.

Sep 15 at 10:42:11 PM
0xDEAFC0DE (0)
(Bennett ) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Fair enough. It's definitely a rabbit hole.

If you still want that picture of the rev-7 Super Mario Land manual, I found one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25425589.... Surprisingly, I only looked through ~8 auctions to find it.

EDIT: Here's an AUS-8 but for Super Mario Land 1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/113870030194.
EDIT2: Another three USA-7: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113695084224https://www.ebay.com/itm/264435363101 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/160891279180. So they don't seem that rare. In my quick search, I've seen a -0,-1,-2,-4,-5, and -7 for USA.
Also there seem to be a suprising number of manual only listings. I wonder why that is?

Edited: 09/15/2019 at 10:59 PM by 0xDEAFC0DE

Sep 16 at 12:14:37 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Awesome! Wow, the rev-7 manual ships with the rev-1 cart. I wonder if the (frustratingly hard to find) rev-2 cart shipped with a higher revision manual than -7, since they seemingly didn't have any reservations printing new manual revisions.