Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Recommended places to buy a Virtual Boy? Should I buy online? Should I wander around at a flea market?

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:23:09 PM
_kanchi (0)
< Cherub >
Louisiana
I've been wanting one, but I'm not sure where to look. I'm not sure if buying online is a good idea, or going to a flea market with the hopes of seeing one is. I want your opinion.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:26:11 PM
tigertowngames (80)
(Chip Richey) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Flea Market would most likely be cheaper, but you could walk around for years without finding one. Going online would be more expensive, but you could have one in your hands in the matter of a few weeks.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:39:13 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I've only ever seen broken VB's at the flea's.

-------------------------
Playas Guide Logo

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:19:33 PM
_kanchi (0)
< Cherub >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: tigertowngames

Flea Market would most likely be cheaper, but you could walk around for years without finding one. Going online would be more expensive, but you could have one in your hands in the matter of a few weeks.

Trade offs I guess. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:19:53 PM
_kanchi (0)
< Cherub >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: nes_pimp

I've only ever seen broken VB's at the flea's.

Yeah, I might just stick to buying from the internet.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:03:36 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Your best bet to find a VB is either off ebay, here on NA, or at a local retro store. You should be aware that VBs have a not insignificant chance of developing eye piece issues over time, regardless of how they were treated by their previous owners. So you should either be prepared to perform DIY fixes, or set aside some cash to have someone mod the VB to fix the problem.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:09:34 PM
krankcolc (286)
(Arcade Legacy) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
How far do you want to take it? I have a CIB VB with every US game and a couple JP games for sale right now. Instant collection!

WTB list. Less than 1% to a CIB NES collection. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:14:02 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: krankcolc

How far do you want to take it? I have a CIB VB with every US game and a couple JP games for sale right now. Instant collection!

Does he need to add water?

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:17:03 PM
krankcolc (286)
Ohio
I'd advise against it, but he can do whatever he wants with it if he buys it. Or maybe a VB works better after being submerged in water. I doubt anyone has tested this theory.

WTB list. Less than 1% to a CIB NES collection. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:29:43 PM
FIkap (16)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Funny story because I ran into a complete VB last year(or so) for 20.00 at a flea market.....had every game except for Jack Brothers....didn't come with the box it was in a modified gun case of all things but snug in the foam.... actually talked the guy down to 15.00 because I figured it didn't work and didn't know the value of the games....I was shocked when I got home and it worked....crazy luck I actually traded 4-5 of the games and now want to get them back..haha

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:12:53 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada

I'd advise against it, but he can do whatever he wants with it if he buys it. Or maybe a VB works better after being submerged in water. I doubt anyone has tested this theory.

He meant the old joke, "Instant X, just add water".

As for the OP, you'll pretty much never find a good working unrefurbished Virtual Boy. Even oven fixed ones don't last that long. My suggestion is to find a "broken" Virtual Boy on purpose because you'll pay less and then have RunnerPack (PVB) or Tiptopjames (NA) solder the ribbon cables for you. A solder fixed VB is an eternal VB.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:09:26 AM
krankcolc (286)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Guntz

He meant the old joke, "Instant X, just add water".

As for the OP, you'll pretty much never find a good working unrefurbished Virtual Boy. Even oven fixed ones don't last that long. My suggestion is to find a "broken" Virtual Boy on purpose because you'll pay less and then have RunnerPack (PVB) or Tiptopjames (NA) solder the ribbon cables for you. A solder fixed VB is an eternal VB.

I knew what he meant. Dry humor rarely translates well on the internet. I don't know why I try.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:38:43 PM
ccc2021 (2)
(Chris C.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
I've walked the flea markets for several years and have never come across a single VB system. I've only found one game, and it was a Japanese golf game. Good luck!

Error Machine Podcast 
Error Machine is a comedy podcast featuring a ragtag group consisting of three best friends who just like to sit around and discuss videogames and make fun of each other. Check us out!