Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Little Samson Back Labels Your expertise Nintendoage

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:20:21 AM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Just stumbled across this auction on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nintendo-...

I saw a thread that discussed the rear labels for LS carts a while back but I can't find it anymore.  I'm just curious about these late-issue carts.  Don't they all have the real label in both English and French?  Like Bubble Bobble 2, LS, Wario's Woods, etc.  Does this mean that someone switched out the backing on this cart?  Or are there some floating around that have the this, older, label?

-------------------------

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:33:21 AM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
I've seen a few, all but one were new style, and the one with the old style back was an obvious switch. So I'd say that one in the auction you linked had its back switched.

Check this thread for some more info: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:51:35 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I have a copy of Little Samson with the original back that gives me strong reason to believe that it is NOT a back-switch based on the evidence (both halves are the same shade, those tiny ridges align perfectly and reflect each other in condition, etc). I did a lot of looking into on this subject when I was looking to buy my copy and copies were produced with both backs: the original and the new one with extra text. 

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 02:58 AM by Nightowljrm

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:24:12 AM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:27:45 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
I saw the auction too, and instantly, thought it was a back swap. My copy has the newer, longer text style back label.

It appears to me, some of the people with the old style, want it to be legit so badly they deny the fact that they picked up a used copy and the fact, that it has passed through many hands, before they came to own it. At any point along the way, it only takes one person to swap the back. I need concrete evidence proving this was released with either back. With that said, my stance is it is possible they had original older style back labels, but highly unlikely.

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:17:49 AM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Thanks for posting the link retro

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:09:08 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Not again . I had a Little Samson that was owned by my very best friend since junior high, and he got it "back in the day". It had the old style back label. That, for me, is enough proof that they exist. Threads like this only cast doubt in potential buyers for carts like this .

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 11:13 AM by buttheadrulesagain

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:13:36 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
As far as Im aware the back looks to be switched out. Most of the rare late realese games on the nes have the back with more and smaller text.

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:40:07 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
i just got mine and it has the old style label. i believe it's the original back.

the copyright screen on the game says 1992. when was the game released? when did the new back labels appear?

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:45:30 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Has this "problem" arised for other expensive late-releases? what about Panic Restaurant? Flintstones 2?

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:04:12 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
that negative this seller has, def can make one worry with a game of this value.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:04:16 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Heres a list of rare games that have the same small/more text back.

Bonberman 2
Bonk
BB2
Contra Force
Die hard
Ducktales 2
Fire N Ice
F2
LS
Mario's Time Machine
MFF
Pac man Namco
Ms. Pac man Namco
PR
PB2
RC Pro Am 2
RR2
TMNT Tournament
Waynes World

Playas Guide Logo

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 02:06 PM by ne$_pimp

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:52:35 PM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
There is a lot of people with Little Samson carts with the older back. I don't see why almost half copies of this game would have the back changed, which is really not the case on other rare late releases ?

Also the game was released in 1992, exactly when the new back appeared. Two versions could exist without any problems.

Everybody that have a Little Samson with the older back could check the small punched code on the back. That would be very strange if every copies with switched backs had the same code, no ?

Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:06:37 AM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Hmmmmm, interesting... Thanks to everyone who chimed in and for giving the old link I could not find.

I have a LS but the back is the new style with the extra text. I was just curious. I have a small slew of the other carts mentioned by nes_pimp and they all have the new style back too. Posts like buttheadrulesagain's make me think that it's possible that they could have either. I think someone on NA said that they knew someone who had one since childhood too, but I don't know what back it had. It's really the only way to know, I suppose. It does seem weird though, for a game that was only made for a short period that it would have two backs, but it just may be so if the production was underway during the switch.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:21:26 PM
mcjefe (40)

(Jeffery McDaniel) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
I currently have two Little Samson carts in my possession, one with a new style back label and the other with the older style back label. I do not believe the old style to be a back switch as the coloration of both halves are matched and the grooves on the side line up even better than the new style cart. What makes me believe that both styles of back label were produced on Little Samson carts is that both back labels on my carts have the same manufacturing facility stamp of '07'. Interestingly enough, I currently have two copies of Dinosaur Peak, and they both have a manufacturing facility stamp of '07' as well. This leads me to believe the theory that Little Samson was released during the transitional period of the newer style back labels being released and both back label versions are legitimate print releases. I may be wrong, but if you have an older style label, check for the '07' stamp to see if my theory is correct.

Please check out my for sale / trade list here:

http://vintage.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6...

Please visit my WTB / WTTF thread here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
Thanks in advance!

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:25:00 AM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
this recently sent me in a spiral... I opened a sealed copy and it had the old label on the back... so sorry for the necro bump, but old label with the 07 stamp is 100% legit

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:31:22 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
you opened a sealed little samson?

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:34:34 AM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
You opened a sealed LS? 0_o

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:36:03 AM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
games are meant to be played, grading games and comics is stupid imho. Especially games, what happens when the battery leaks and erodes everthing? its worth nothing

edit: yes im aware sammy doesnt have a battery, but still shrink wrap even damages the boxes... sealed collecting is a mental illness  

Edited: 10/11/2018 at 12:37 AM by Archangel3090

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:57:28 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

games are meant to be played, grading games and comics is stupid imho. Especially games, what happens when the battery leaks and erodes everthing? its worth nothing

edit: yes im aware sammy doesnt have a battery, but still shrink wrap even damages the boxes... sealed collecting is a mental illness  

We're trying to compile a list of all inserts which came with each game, do you mind writing down the inserts and their codes that were inside the box? And the codes on the box / manual / cartridge?

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:59:51 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
i mean, i'd say burning 10K of value for no good reason is a sign of mental illness but to each his own. curious what the inserts look like.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:05:14 AM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia

At least now you have the cleanest cart around   Enjoy your gaming.

KDDK Player  

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:47:28 AM
A2600 (17)
(Letter Carrier) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
I remember seeing the newer label on the back on my original store bought PUNCH-OUT and the Yellow Metroid, which leads me to believe that by 92 every Nes cart had to have had the new label eventhough, PUNCHOUT and metroid where re-released in 1990

Ah, so you found the secret room, eh? Bask in the glory of a Mario Trilogy, a Pair of Zeldas and a Sextet of Megamans. Yes this is the little grey box that could and continues to do. What lies ahead is entirely up to you. YOU DECIDE

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:51:46 AM
Friendsfa26 (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Netherlands
rather or not you agree with him opening the sealed Samson, does not matter in this case.....
but some proof, that you actually opened one up, would be nice....

Collection as of april 29th 2018

- NES Sealed Games Total: 2
- NES NIB/CIB Games Total: 28
- NES Loose Carts Total: 139/366 (incl. label differences)
- NES Manuals Total: 66
- Game Boy Loose Carts Total: 27

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:53:57 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

I would have sold the sealed one and bought a nice CIB and had money to go on vacation. :-)

Also Lithium batteries do not leak as far as I know, it is Alkaline batteries that were the problem.

Edited: 10/11/2018 at 07:55 AM by Sign Collector Guy