Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Arcade1Up bringing a line of classic arcade cabinets for sale this fall

May 27, 2018 at 5:14:00 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
While I was watching the Combobreaker tournament this afternoon, I noticed one of the sponsers was a company called Arcade1Up. I never heard of them before, so I did some Googling and discovered this announcement made back in Febuary that I totally missed.

Arcade1Up is preparing to sell to market a line of mass-produced 4' tall arcade cabinets based on classic arcade cabinets. The cabinets will run using emulation on 17" LCD screens. In addition to the game the cabinet is based on, it will also include three related games. The line-up as shown at Toy Fair 2018:
  1. Centipede
    • Millipede
    • Breakout
    • Missile Command
  2. Asteriods
    • Q-Bert
    • Lunar Lander
    • Tempest
  3. Street Fighter 2 (includes CE, Turbo, & Super versions)
    • Final Fight
    • Ghost N Goblins
    • Strider
  4. Rampage
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Defender
  5. Space Invaders
    • Alternate games unknown
The projected price for each cabinet is $400 each. From what I read assembly will be required, so these cabinets are probably going to be shipped flat pack.

Arcade cab enthusists will probably scoff, but I'm pretty interested to see how this product turns out. An arcade cab for my gameroom has been on my wishlist for a long time, but I don't have the inclination to find and transport a vintage cab to my home, nor deal with the maintenance aspect. $400 for a cabinet pre-built is pretty competitive to the DIY MAME kits I've seen elsewhere on the Internet. I'm very interested to see what powers these cabinets and if you can add additional ROMs or turn it into a full-blown MAME cabinet.

Polygon article on Arcade1Up: https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/16...

A link of their website (currently with a placeholder): http://www.arcade1up.com/...

A Youtube video of footage someone sneaked out of Toy Fair of the prototype cabinets (starts at 1:20):

-------------------------
My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Edited: 05/27/2018 at 05:16 PM by teh lurv

May 27, 2018 at 5:27:21 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Seems like a solid enough package for the price, bit emulation ruins it for me. May as well do a pi build at that point.

May 27, 2018 at 5:44:20 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Irate Gamer is selling Raspberry Pis for $400 now?

May 27, 2018 at 10:06:03 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Irate Gamer is selling Raspberry Pis for $400 now?
Heh, I didn't recognize that was Irate Gamer behind those stupid glasses.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

May 27, 2018 at 11:14:08 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
I had a decent chuckle at 1:55 of the ToyFair footage: "Stridoh."

These seem pretty neat but not into the emulated stuff either. I would probably pick one of these to help build for my nephew if they do come in kit form!

May 28, 2018 at 2:28:29 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
This is a thing I don't know who is it marketed to. If you are really into this stuff (superhardcore) you won't settle down for emulation even if the controls are nice. If you are in the middle like me, there are cheaper ways to get the same almost (good CRT/PVM, good arcade stick and a PS2 with arcade collection DVDs). If this thing has any amount of lag, that kills it for people like me. Now if you are really a casual, I don't think you will drop 400 dllrs for a thing that takes that much space, you rather buy the latest iteration for the present gen console.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:03:43 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Update here, even better than expected. These are up for preorder at $299 with FREE SHIPPING, as opposed to the speculated $400 (Plus ship?) price. Hard to beat that if someone just has a casual interest in an Arcade cabinet. You would think that even if you got bored of it resale would hold around at least $200, or maybe even at retail (or more?) if these things are sold out and backordered.

Here's an example of Street Fighter:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Street...

Slickdeals thread where people are talking about them:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11863915...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:12:05 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Based on the dimensions in the description, these are not even cabaret size (3 ft 9 in makes for a tiny cabinet)

Would be fun for smaller kids, though, I guess.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:31:37 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Yes, they're a hair under 4' and I assume marketed to kids. It's still an interesting product at that price point IMO. Not for me but I can see them selling at that price.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:34:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yeah, it is still tempting to get for the kids at that price, though I'd want to know more about the actual components and the hackability first.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:28:10 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
These are really cool! Too bad there isn't a full size version, I would much rather have that personally speaking.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:32:47 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
I want dat Asteroids Tempest machine! Can't waste 3 bills on it though. (4 with the riser to make it playable.)

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:10:36 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Nvm

Edited: 07/27/2018 at 09:11 AM by RegularGuyGamer

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:18:30 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

I want dat Asteroids Tempest machine! Can't waste 3 bills on it though. (4 with the riser to make it playable.)

I want dat Asteroids Tempest  Major Havoc machine! 

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:51:12 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Gloves

Seems like a solid enough package for the price, bit emulation ruins it for me. May as well do a pi build at that point.

Yup, and you get the satisfaction of building it yourself!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:24:24 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

This is a thing I don't know who is it marketed to. If you are really into this stuff (superhardcore) you won't settle down for emulation even if the controls are nice. If you are in the middle like me, there are cheaper ways to get the same almost (good CRT/PVM, good arcade stick and a PS2 with arcade collection DVDs). If this thing has any amount of lag, that kills it for people like me. Now if you are really a casual, I don't think you will drop 400 dllrs for a thing that takes that much space, you rather buy the latest iteration for the present gen console.

These was EXACTLY what I was thinking!  Most arcade collectors (myself included) either want fully dedicated with a CRT or at the very least, an original machine and not dedicated.  

I saw a pic online of two people sitting of stools in front of one of these, and they are VERY small!  Basically unplayable unless you're sitting down.  They also have a pretty small amount of games considering everything else.  If I was in the market for one machine and didn't care if it was original or not, I'd buy one of the bartop ones on Craigslist that runs Mame and has hundreds of games, and not 4! lol Just saying

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:00:25 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

These was EXACTLY what I was thinking!  Most arcade collectors (myself included) either want fully dedicated with a CRT or at the very least, an original machine and not dedicated.  

I saw a pic online of two people sitting of stools in front of one of these, and they are VERY small!  Basically unplayable unless you're sitting down.  They also have a pretty small amount of games considering everything else.  If I was in the market for one machine and didn't care if it was original or not, I'd buy one of the bartop ones on Craigslist that runs Mame and has hundreds of games, and not 4! lol Just saying

Yeah, and I didn't even mention the MAME alternative. The options I mentioned are all legal   . The only people that this could be geared towards is the guy that is building a man cave, or a personal bar, and has a passing liking of arcade games, and does not want to put a lot of effort in building one, or getting the components to build one, and saw this in Walmart. But again, the Midway cabinet seems too niche to be a popular choice (the others seem more likely, specially the SFII one).

Small size is a turn down as well...

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:46:55 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

Its marketed to kids, or parents. The links in this thread are 300 and that's really not too bad for a toy that kids and their friends would be in awe of. Not to mention resale would probably hold pretty well once they get bored of it and stop playing.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:27:55 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I saw Riggs showing these off. That's not a bad value. Cabinets are too short for a tall guy, though.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:24:31 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: StuOhQ

I saw Riggs showing these off. That's not a bad value. Cabinets are too short for a tall guy, though.
I literally came into say this.

It would be great if I as 4ft tall. But yeah... that's why it's great for kids/parents with kids.

Not my cup of tea, but I can understand the reason a company would try to capitalize on this market.

Our generation is now having kids (has been for 10+ years). Companies are finding ways to bridge that gap where you can build something that will give the parents a neat experience and their kids something fun to do together.

This seems to be that exact product.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 07/29/2018 at 10:25 AM by AirVillain

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:39:58 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
For the people saying they are too short.

They are meant to be played sitting on a stool that they actually sell, or they even have a riser for it to raise it up to a normal arcade height.

Doesn't interest me, as for the money i would rather just put it towards a full MAME cab like the Street Fighter i made a couple years back.

BUT i definitely can see the market for them, and the size isn't that big of deal when you use the riser. Not sure how cramped the controls are though.

gamevaluenow

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:51:04 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Just saw these today on YouTube. Pretty cool idea but too expensive in Canada. These companies just get too far behind in technology. This would have been awesome 15 years ago but now you could buy a pi or even an old computer and have unlimited games for a fraction of the price (maybe not including a housing unit). Even myself, by the time I get around to actually building my Mame I will have already replaced my intended computer of use 2 or 3 times already. Can't justify spending 500 for 3 emulated games this day and age.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:17:41 PM
CrimsonCobra (67)
(Steve O) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
As with most everything ... It's all a matter of opinion.

I think this is a pretty cool idea and am looking forward to my SF cab pre-order. Even if it is smaller than a real one, emulated, etc. The size/weight makes for easier moves & a flat screen should prove more relaible than the crt nobody produces anymore. There's always a cheaper option (dl free ROMs if it makes u happy) but if you are like me and this appeals to you then carpe diem.

PS - people will hack these just like the nes mini if u want more than 4 games, give it a week tops following release.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:58:08 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I dont have the money for this at the moment. But for thise saying to use mame, i mean yea you could build your own cabinet and source all the buttons, joysticks, rollers, spinners etc, buy tour own tv/monitor and all of that would run you around $500 minimum if set up to play all control variants except light guns (this is a rough estimate based on what i was pricing out at one time). Then there is the hassle of setting up mame which isnt nearly as easy as just choosing a rom and hit play like a NES or Genesis emulator. There are constant configurations to tinker with depending on game. At least the last time i looked into doing this.

If someone really liked these games seems like a no brainer to go with one of these vs the hassle of putting together your own

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:57:09 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
They sure picked the right games with lots of layouts that usually aren't well represented in home controllers. Except Defender got stuck on the Rampage cabinet with a joystick and two buttons, lol. Is anyone going to crowd 3 or even 2 people around these things instead of their TV? Just give Defender its own cabinet!

Even for a casual home thing, I think $300-400 for 3 games is rough. Sure someone will hack it to include more games, but then why not just download games to begin with? I have an old Taito home arcade thing that has 20 games on it. It doesn't have the nonstandard controls that some of these cabinets have, but I still think $100/game is too high when you can get $10 compilations full of classic arcade games or the new Street Fighter compilation and two really nice arcade sticks.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 08/13/2018 at 11:59 AM by DefaultGen