Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

JosephLeo's: Semi-Annual NTSC NES CIB Fair Market Value List Fulfilling a promise I made a while back

May 3, 2013 at 2:07:22 PM
NexPhr3ak0r (75)

(Max Power) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: LucasWeatherby

Originally posted by: rondy_

whats the total amount for all the CIBs. I am too lazy to put it in Excel

this

$46,070.00

*damn* pegboy and doner beat me to it.

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 02:08 PM by NexPhr3ak0r

May 3, 2013 at 2:11:22 PM
LucasWeatherby (42)
(Lucas Weatherby) < El Ripper >
Florida
that doesnt seem to unreasonable of a price imo. but like it was said, it is on the low end for a lot of those.

May 3, 2013 at 2:11:34 PM
rondy_ (91)
< El Ripper >
United States
Thanks guys,

So adding a little to the total as some games are on the low end, we can expect a full licensed set to be around $50,000 to $60,000 ?

-------------------------

May 3, 2013 at 2:22:47 PM
millerjm2 (196)

(John Miller) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Castlevania II is incorrect, as well as Castlevania III.

Personally I'd like to know the methodology behind creating this list.

http://thisroomisanillusion.com/...

May 3, 2013 at 2:23:31 PM
Aatos (78)
(Eero loves NTSC!) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
I would be interested in hearing what your methodology for attaining these prices was, just your own experience / gut feeling?

I know you have quite an extensive experience, certainly better than I have on most of these, but like many said I felt most that I checked were a bit low though, or, I don't know where you can buy the games this low as some of the prices would have me jumping all over .

It's been a long time since I realized, I'm not building a great collection, but a great library. 

May 3, 2013 at 2:41:34 PM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Yeah, they all look pretty good, Joe. Obviously, there will be a few titles here and there people would disagree on (I could name a few but this is subjective opinion), but for the most part, it seems like a great launch off point for collector/buyers. Great job.

May 3, 2013 at 2:52:11 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Guys have to remember it's a guide... it's not going to be perfect. It's the best attempt I've seen at one even if there's some play in the titles. And it doesn't take into account the condition.

But if you look at some of the comparisons you should be able to spot what's undervalued and overvalued. Pro Sport Hockey at $300 and Snow Bros at $250? You want to be a seller of Pro Sport at that price (seems awfully high, I'm thinking $175ish personally) and a buyer of Snow Bros. Snow Bros is every bit of $350-$400 IMO.

But he obviously put some time into this, much more than I would care to, so you have to give him effort for trying. Now you see the problem with any price guide or rarity guide... people will always object to certain titles. Just the way it goes.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 3, 2013 at 2:55:13 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: jonebone

Guys have to remember it's a guide... it's not going to be perfect. It's the best attempt I've seen at one even if there's some play in the titles. And it doesn't take into account the condition.

But if you look at some of the comparisons you should be able to spot what's undervalued and overvalued. Pro Sport Hockey at $300 and Snow Bros at $250? You want to be a seller of Pro Sport at that price (seems awfully high, I'm thinking $175ish personally) and a buyer of Snow Bros. Snow Bros is every bit of $350-$400 IMO.

But he obviously put some time into this, much more than I would care to, so you have to give him effort for trying. Now you see the problem with any price guide or rarity guide... people will always object to certain titles. Just the way it goes.
Made me think of this

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

May 3, 2013 at 2:58:12 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
i think a few of them are on the extreme lower in of the spectrum like if they were in terrible shape, but not a bad list. Nice work phleo. I know that took some serious time.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 02:59 PM by quest4nes

May 3, 2013 at 3:01:35 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: millerjm2

Castlevania II is incorrect, as well as Castlevania III.

Personally I'd like to know the methodology behind creating this list.

I think he inverted those two figures. If they were switched it would be closer.

I noticed soccer at 100. A bunch of people would jump on that as long as its not beat to hell. Its really tough to make a CIB price list because while Josephleo has kept track of a ton of CIB price trends and prices he cant possibly know every game trend.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 03:16 PM by quest4nes

May 3, 2013 at 4:10:30 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
This is a great list and matches pretty closely to what I've observed for the most part. I'd have to agree with the others about the Castlevanias, though. I picked up a CV III a couple weeks ago for $40 and felt I was getting a steal based on recent eBay prices. $30 would be practically unheard of.

May 3, 2013 at 5:03:28 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Do these price consider extras like maps or other game specific inserts?

Overall a good list, thanks for sharing.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

May 3, 2013 at 5:09:17 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Thanks for the comments guys. Please share with me any glaring errors you see.

As Jonebone said, this does not count for condition whatsoever! However, the black box games are an exception.

Black Boxes are so volatile condition wise that you can see something that regularly sells for $100 and see it sell for $500 in minty condition, and $1000's of dollars if graded in a high "Qualified" condition. So, with that said I just figured that your typical black box is usually beat to shit and got a price based on what a beat to shit one goes for- and doubled it.

Some titles I may have mixed up (like the castlevania's)

My methodology was simple, look at recently completed auctions (NO BIN's) with at least 3 or more bidders. If the game doesn't have at least 5 sold CIB's in the past 30 days then I go into hard research and wait until 5 pop up. For games that don't have the luxury of popping up 5 times I do in fact take the last known price and downsize it a bit to a nice round number- just so I can have a number on it to begin with.

In the case with DK Math I know there haven't been any open auctions in about a year for this game, and even then it was bundled with other games, so I just made an educated guess at how much of a frenzy the collector community would go into if there was one at $0.99 w/ no reserve. Same applies to Sqoon and Chubby Cherub.

Once more guys, this is just a guide and there will be TONS of errors so I ask that you help me if you see anything glaring out. If I were to give these prices a condition I would say "Average", mint would probably be 50% higher. In all everything comes out to about $46,000 so a MINT CIB set (including Stadium Events) would probably come out to maybe $70,000.

Unlicensed coming with next update- excluding Sachens & Color Dreams variants. I have ZERO data on Myriad and RacerMate so I'll have to guess.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

May 3, 2013 at 8:05:42 PM
RESET2019 (35)

(Jered McFerron) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
This is so GREAT! Thanks for posting this, I really appreciate it.

May 4, 2013 at 5:22:37 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Updated!

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

May 5, 2013 at 3:48:09 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Added pricing for Test carts and unlicensed games. Variants (e.g. Bigbox Gyromite, Black Color Dreams carts, etc.) still not added.

Total for a complete NTSC set including the three competition carts comes up to about $107k WOW.

I had to do some serious guesstimating for the test carts and a couple unlicensed titles. Myriad I based the price upon the last known CIB price times the percentage increase of the average NES game price since then. Other rarer unlicensed games have far too few completed listings to give an accurate price, but I gave my best guess on them.

Next to come up on the list will probably be UKV/GBR games and AUS games, excluding unlicensed.

Edit: Also, I'm aware there are only 3 known Duck Hunt test carts, 1 Gyromite test carts and 1 1991 Campus Challenge carts. and I'm also aware that the Duck Hunt and Gyromite test carts are not confirmed to be authentic.

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 04:02 PM by PowerPlayers

May 5, 2013 at 4:04:32 PM
mrlemnas (5)
(J. H.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Excellent work on a difficult task, Joseph. It's going to be exciting to see the how things change with each semi-annual installment. A great reference for CIB collectors.

May 5, 2013 at 4:11:43 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: mrlemnas

Excellent work on a difficult task, Joseph. It's going to be exciting to see the how things change with each semi-annual installment. A great reference for CIB collectors.

Thanks a lot, I was supposed to release this earlier but I wasn't done with the R4 & R5 titles and I didn't have enough data for unlicensed rares. My release schedule was intended to be March for Spring/Summer, September for Fall/Winter.

May 5, 2013 at 5:24:24 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Just as a piece of advice, I'd simply call this one Spring and the September one Fall. Historically, when the CIB market has tanked, it was over a summer. Happened in 2009 and a bit in 2010, but we didn't see that seasonal dip in 2011. I wonder if it may return.

And the Dec / Jan months are typically bolstered by Christmas spending. So your Spring prices could be irrelevant in the Summer, and the Fall prices could be irrelevant in the Winter. I wouldn't lump them together, just name the guide in the season it comes out, instead of arbitrarily trying to fill a year.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 6, 2013 at 10:53:49 PM
Benhoffer (81)
(Ben Hoffmann) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
Great list, obviously with a list that big there will be some prices everyone disagrees with, and condition is very subjective.

May 8, 2013 at 9:59:34 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Probably not going to do PAL until the next edition guys...too little data for me to go off of and soooo many things that are "common" that don't show up even in their respective countries eBays.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:04:24 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Bump for new members.