Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Carolina Collection

May 24 at 11:49:35 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
jhm (0)
< Little Mac >
Oh boy, here's the second shocker for the day. I've acquired Dain's collection of video games. I simply couldn't help myself once I experienced it!!!

The press release below might sound a little "salesy" but I think it explains things pretty well. So rather than try to reword it here and circulate it elsewhere, I'd just assume be upfront with everyone about the news, as it will be communicated...

--------------------------------

The Carolina Collection is a unique and exceptional archive of video game history with a particular focus on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). What makes this collection truly outstanding is rooted in the person that meticulously assembled it over many years - Dain Anderson, founder and highly active member of the NintendoAge forums. NintendoAge has acted as the hub of information and communication for NES collectors for over 15 years. Dain’s relentless passion for collecting and archiving the history of all things NES is undeniable to anyone that has experienced the collection in its entirety. Rare and valuable pieces range from several of the best known examples of the most highly coveted NES games to historical “paper” items that contribute to the fascinating evolution of at-home video gaming.

The collection gets its name from the pure coincidence that both the original curator (Dain Anderson) and current owner (Jeff Meyer) live in neighboring cities in North Carolina. Jeff is the founder of GoCollect.com (a leader in valuation and collecting tools for comic books) and a passionate collector of golden age comics. The introduction of robust grading from Wata opened the doors to expand GoCollect to offer accurate valuation and collector tools to the video game community.

“Accurate and easily accessible information is the cornerstone of any mature collectible,” says Meyer, “and NintendoAge was the clear hub of the most complete information available through both their console archives and long-standing discussions found deep within the forums.”

After a long series of discussions around preservation and improvements an agreement was made for GoCollect to acquire NintendoAge. It was during this time that Jeff became aware of Dain’s amazing collection. “I was staring at a physical representation of the data we wanted to extract from Nintendoage and became overwhelmed with the collector instinct that I absolutely had to own and share this treasure chest of NES history.”

A deal was struck between the two collectors that included a single, undisclosed purchase price in exchange for absolutely every everything Dain owned that was related to video games. Not just the “good stuff,” not just games, not just NES... everything. An entire, tightly packed conversion van was needed to transport the collection to the GoCollect offices.

The GoCollect team is meticulously archiving the collection, while using it and the NintendoAge web site, to develop a suite of tools that are sure to please the video game collecting community for years to come.

The Carolina Collection will be slowly exposed to the collecting community through a small handful of best-in-class auction houses and trusted collectibles dealers. Jeff intends to also hold a small selection of pieces himself for the time being, but promises to keep those pieces available for viewing online once all are well preserved and certified by the team at Wata. Initial viewing of these “hold back” pieces will be available at the HeroesCon in Charlotte, North Carolina in June, 2019.

Given Dain’s prominence in the collecting community, there are bound to be a vast number of questions and concerns about the actions described here. Aside from the future of NintendoAge, the collection itself contains many hand-written letters and gifts to Dain as well as a large number of items that were designed and branded with the NintendoAge insignia. Both Dain and GoCollect kindly request that all questions be posted to the Nintendo age forum thread dedicated to the topic.

May 24 at 11:53:59 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Whoa V2.0.

-------------------------

May 24 at 11:54:17 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
"With great power comes great responsibility."

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

May 24 at 11:55:04 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Wow.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

May 24 at 11:58:34 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Looking to trade anything currently? Do yo have a trade list perhaps?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

May 24 at 12:10:33 PM
Yup (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Florida
Holy cows.

May 24 at 12:31:23 PM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Can I haz the preciouses?

May 24 at 12:48:58 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Since nobody's said it yet... congratulations, Dain! Don't spend it all in one place!  

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

May 24 at 1:24:12 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: winterion

Since nobody's said it yet... congratulations, Dain! Don't spend it all in one place!  
Thank you!

I have kids, so it's already spent!

May 24 at 1:30:20 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Dain

Originally posted by: winterion

Thank you!

I have kids, so it's already spent!

Ha! In that case, may the adventures be grand and the future bright!

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

May 24 at 1:30:35 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
sell out!!!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

May 24 at 1:31:08 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
The Bubble Has Burst!!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

May 24 at 1:31:57 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Am I to assume everything "Video Game Related" also means this forum as well? Ownership changed hands?

May 24 at 1:32:58 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Am I to assume everything "Video Game Related" also means this forum as well? Ownership changed hands?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 24 at 1:40:50 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...

Thanks! That clears things up!

May 24 at 1:42:25 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
How long before Dain starts collecting again......

I give him five years.

May 24 at 1:47:55 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Good for you Dain there is a lot of good stuff you can do with that coin.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

May 24 at 1:48:17 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: tbone3969

How long before Dain starts collecting again......

I give him five years.
It's been very tempting, believe me -- a clean slate is very tempting.

May 24 at 1:52:28 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
So how many of your badges will disappear?  

May 24 at 1:59:50 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Tulpa

So how many of your badges will disappear?  
Just updated them... about half.

May 24 at 2:07:16 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Congrats 2.0

Quite the collection to just dive into! All that Game Boy goodness is much more interesting than some simple NES stuff. Also his unlicensed and Asian collections are second to...well only or or two other dudes!

I think the site is in good hands.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

May 24 at 2:19:06 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Shit son, what a day in NintendoAge history. Congrats to both Jeff and Dain, happy for both of you.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

May 24 at 2:19:49 PM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
I'm in the market for an NWC, if you plan on selling the cart 😉

Edited: 05/24/2019 at 02:19 PM by 98ViperGTS

May 24 at 2:43:11 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: 98ViperGTS

I'm in the market for an NWC, if you plan on selling the cart 😉
I'd already sold mine a few years ago to DreamTR

May 24 at 2:44:55 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

All that Game Boy goodness is much more interesting than some simple NES stuff. Also his unlicensed and Asian collections are second to...well only or or two other dudes!
SuperNESman got most of my GB collection years ago. My Asian stuff had been on eBay for sale for the last 2 years, so most was already sold off.