Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

**CLOSED** FO: RARE Shigaru Miyamoto Gold N64 Controller

Oct 06 at 11:25:06 PM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Putting the feelers out to see what kind of interest there is for this rare piece of Nintendo Memorabilia.  I am the sole owner of this controller.  I worked for Nintendo of America from 1990 - 1997.  I was a member of Team Nintendo, and I attended E3 in Atlanta, GA in 1997.  As a member of Team Nintendo, I was gifted this rare Gold N64 Controller and had the opportunity to meet THEE Shigaru Miyamoto and get his autograph on my controller.  This has never been used, it has remained stored away in my collection.

I tried doing some research about similarly autographed controllers, but all the ebay links have expired.  Any interest out there?

Greg

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 11:02 PM by rpgreg

Oct 06 at 11:56:59 PM
The Hero (426)
(Issa ) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Want to add FO(for offer) before sales tag

Oct 07 at 12:28:28 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
TY.  Yes, this is officially up for Offer.

Oct 07 at 6:28:48 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
You have a photo of him autographing the controller? That will help you move it and get a better price. I know it was the 90s so we weren't using digital cameras so, you probably don't. But, if you do and can post it, you should get a better price.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 07 at 9:15:51 AM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
This is really awesome. I fall into the camp of "would love to have it, but not interested in buying it." But I suspect it could be worth a pretty penny to the right person. Good luck!

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Oct 08 at 8:40:19 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: rlh

You have a photo of him autographing the controller? That will help you move it and get a better price. I know it was the 90s so we weren't using digital cameras so, you probably don't. But, if you do and can post it, you should get a better price. 

There were times when we had pictures taken at events, but for the most part, we were there to work so we didn't walk around with cameras.

This is an authentic piece and autograph.

Greg

Oct 08 at 8:47:49 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: rpgreg

There were times when we had pictures taken at events, but for the most part, we were there to work so we didn't walk around with cameras.

This is an authentic piece and autograph.

Greg

Sorry, I'm not saying I don't trust you.  But if I had the $$$ to buy this, I'd hope to get a photo.  In the future, if I want to sell, stuff like that helps the future-owner verify the story.  That's all.  Still, thanks for showing this off.  I'm not an N64 controller collector but this would be an exception.  It's a classic, collectible controller plus it's signed by the man himself.  GLWS.

Edited: 10/08/2019 at 08:48 AM by rlh

Oct 08 at 8:52:55 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
I understand. While I can't show anything from this event, I can authenticate my time at NOA. I'll scan a picture I have of Grace Jones and Me at the Goldeneye Release Party in NYC and me featured in Nintendo Power Magazine.

Greg

Oct 08 at 11:07:30 AM
broncofantd793 (37)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Wow, would love to have this, but probably can't afford it. Super cool piece OP.

Oct 08 at 11:18:32 AM
LaC (96)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
I was at this E3 and I remember some Star Fox 64 competition where you eventually got to play against Miyamoto and you would also win one of these gold controllers. Something like that.

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Oct 08 at 7:27:39 PM
keithdigital (21)
(Keith ) < Little Mac >
Florida
Sent a PM, let me know. Thanks.

Oct 08 at 9:32:35 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
can you post a photo of the measurement of the height of the N please in metric.

Oct 09 at 1:29:55 AM
shokocz (4)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Pmed

Oct 09 at 1:58:16 PM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: alekx

can you post a photo of the measurement of the height of the N please in metric.

I'll take a pic tonight.

Greg

Oct 10 at 12:16:26 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Counselor's Corner  

Not E3, but here's a couple pics of me during my NOA days.  The first pic is of me featured in the August Issue #63 of Nintendo Power in the Counselor's Corner.  The second pic is me and Grace Jones at the Premier Event for the release of Goldeneye 64.

It was because of my participation in Team Nintendo that I got to participate in awesome events like the Goldeneye 64 release and E3 in Atlanta.  

Greg

Oct 10 at 12:18:19 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >

Alekx,

Not in metric, but here's a pic.  3/4" = 19.05mm

Greg

Oct 10 at 8:15:42 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Counselor's Corner  

Not E3, but here's a couple pics of me during my NOA days.  The first pic is of me featured in the August Issue #63 of Nintendo Power in the Counselor's Corner.  The second pic is me and Grace Jones at the Premier Event for the release of Goldeneye 64.

It was because of my participation in Team Nintendo that I got to participate in awesome events like the Goldeneye 64 release and E3 in Atlanta.  

Greg

Dude, you looked like a child! Haha...  You don't mind me asking, how old were you at that time?  These photos are really cool and they do help.  Anyone offered you any decent offers?

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 08:16 AM by rlh

Oct 10 at 10:06:30 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Keeping names withheld for privacy concerns, the offers I've received are:

UPDATED:

$400
$1000 (multiple)
$1200
$2000
$2100
$2200
$2300
$2500
$2700
$2800

Now that you all know where this stands, if there are any higher offers, please PM me.

I posted this on 10/6/2019 and I'd like to give all interested parties an opportunity to make an offer.  I will give this one week.  I will make my decision by 20:00 PST on 10/13/2019 and notify the person with the highest offer on 10/14/2019 to finalize the deal.

A bit about my time at NOA. I was hired on in August of 90, right out of HS. I started, as most did, as a CSR (Customer Service Rep) and quickly started cross-training to become a GPC (Game Play Counselor). I rose through the ranks until I was qualified to answer all calls on all Customer Service issues and all games in our library. During my time, I wrote countless "Quick Plays," what are commonly called Walkthroughs today. My favorite games were from the Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior series. In fact, it was because of Final Fantasy that my username was born. RPGreg. An amalgamation of RPG and Greg.

Thank you all for your interest in my controller. I am sad to let it go, but it needs a better home, one where it will be displayed with the honor it should.

Greg

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 12:58 AM by rpgreg

Oct 10 at 10:12:22 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >

Counselor's Corner  

Greg

Dude, you looked like a child! Haha...  You don't mind me asking, how old were you at that time?  These photos are really cool and they do help.  Anyone offered you any decent offers?

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I have a baby face.  In that pic with Grace Jones, I was 25.  Before anyone asks, Yes, I was carded for alcohol well into my 40s.

Here's me now:

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate the pic.

Greg

Oct 10 at 10:14:56 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

Are you making knockoff controllers?

Oct 10 at 10:25:24 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: bootload

I'm not making any controllers.  I'm selling a rare piece that I got working as a member of Team Nintendo.

Greg

Oct 10 at 10:39:33 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

Originally posted by: bootload

I'm not making any controllers.  I'm selling a rare piece that I got working as a member of Team Nintendo.

Greg

I was replying to alekx. Usually when someone wants exact measurements for a rare item, they're planning on making a fake one to sell.

Oct 10 at 10:39:36 AM
rpgreg (0)

< Cherub >
I'm not making anything. I'm selling a rare piece of Nintendo history. I listed the offers that I have received on my one controller so that everyone who has placed an offer, knows that their offer was viewed.

Oct 10 at 11:17:19 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

I'm not making anything. I'm selling a rare piece of Nintendo history. I listed the offers that I have received on my one controller so that everyone who has placed an offer, knows that their offer was viewed.

I just want to follow up with this and reiterate his intentions.  We believe you and that this is legit.  But as you've posted, this is a rare item and already commanding more than four figures.  That controller alone is rare and this guy could be asking for dimensions so he can screen print a similar "N" on regular gold controllers and sell counterfeits.

I appreciate him calling that guy out.  We had another person come on here asking how to expedite the yellowing of cartridge plastics.  We were kind of sure he was trying to make bootleg, expensive games and "legitimize" them by yellowing the carts.

Oct 10 at 11:26:37 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
There's no need to call anyone out. These were heavily faked in 2012/2013 and one of the inconsistencies were the size of the N logo. Alexk knows this and wanted to make sure this logo was 19mm as expected. There's plenty of other things to look for too but size of the logo is one factor people consider when authenticating.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=