Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda test cart Writing on PRG chip

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:32:51 PM
xjwebb1982 (38)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
So, I finally scored a beautiful Zelda test cart and had some comments and questions to post.  First, soon after acquiring it I had read somewhere that all test carts had EPROMs.  An NA member, Limbofunk, clarified stating that the Zelda test cart did not.  Curiosity over that and just wanting to see the guts drove me to open it up.  I did not see an EPROM so that was a relief, but I did see some writing on the PRG chip.  At first I thought it said "move to test" which made me think the chip was unique or specially made for the test cart, but then I flipped it upright and it clearly says "move to left" and has an arrow pointing left.  The reason for this writing is probably something really simple, but I honestly don't know why it is there and would like to know.  I think it is cool that a unique piece is written on and I wanted to see what others had to say.  I also wanted to post pics so people could take a look at the board and definitively determine whether there is any difference between the Zelda test cart and regular (the gray has a different board (number of bottom pins) so I assume the test cart is modeled after the gold cart).  The additional pics of the cart are just to show it off I have to, it's by far my favorite item in the collection and it's not all beat up like the majority of ones I've seen so it deserves to be seen by people other than me!  Anyways, take a look and let me know what you think!

-------------------------

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:35:39 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
I'd guess one of the guys at Nintendo test station didn't know how to put it back in, or at least thought it could be put back in either way, so they wrote on it possibly?

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:40:28 PM
Proveaux (87)
(Proveaux Proveaux) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Love it!

(Wife)Someone got 3 packages and it wasn't me...(Me)What are they?(Wife)I dunno. Tapes. Or whatever u call those things.

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:27:17 AM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
That is so beautiful. Congrats buddy.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:05:54 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Awesome pick up. I believe it's well established that the board is identical to retail carts. The best way to verify it authentic is the back label - there should not be a mfg code stamped in. Zelda test carts are the only ones with a gold back label like that

edit to fix autocorrects

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 06/21/2013 at 12:37 PM by Lincoln

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:47:41 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Awesome find dude!

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:35:50 AM
xjwebb1982 (38)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
3GenGames, thanks for the post, that's as good of a theory as any.  I'd hope they would be able to use the stamp on the chip (direction of letters and numbers), or the placement and direction of the text and numbers of the other chips to figure out how to place the PRG chip, but it never hurts to make things idiot proof If anyone else has additional theories then let me know.

To others, thanks for the compliments on the cart.  I know it is likely overpriced and is no different than the "regular" Zelda but it is nice to own something rare that I also actually love to play.  The same can't be said for all rares that we might collect. 

Lincoln, thanks for your reply as well.  I had read in several places that the boards were the same but never saw anyone actually post pics of the board, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to revisit the topic one last time to see if someone spotted something different.  

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:46:19 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Lincoln

Awesome pick up. I believe it's well established that the board is identical to retail carts. The best wary to verify it authentic is the back label - there should not be a mfg code stamped in. Zelda test carts are the only ones with a good back label like that

Perfect post.

Very nice grab, that appears to be a beautiful copy.