Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Q-Bert Contest ends Sunday, 6/19/16 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:47:08 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  My brother and I just moved into town and we are the newest kids at Neo City High School.  I guess I like it so far, even though I haven't made a lot of friends yet.  It sure beats being back at River City High School and having to watch your back everyday.  Things were getting rough around there and Slick had formed such a huge gang that you couldn't walk into a bathroom without getting a super atomic wedgie or a swirly or a noogie.  So, my parents decided to move us to Neo City and its highly prestigious high school.  This school has some of the top students in all of GameLand, including Link, Ryu Hyabusa, Gordon Freeman, Ness, Fox McCloud, and Alex Kidd.  One of the first things I noticed is that there are a lot of cliques in this school.  There's the sportos, the motorheads, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads...and then the geeks...which me and my brother are part of.  My name is Bimm-Bert Bartholomew Bertram Barnaby and my brother's name is Quinn-Bert Chester Hyram Ulysses Barnaby III, but you can just call us B-Bert and Q-Bert.  Yeah, I know...not exactly a couple of names that people think are cool.  I've been called a lot of names over the years, from Dimm-Bert to Dim Bulb to Dimwit to Dumb Butt.  At least I didn't have it as bad as Q-Bert.  Most of the time he gets called Queer-Bert, but he has also been called Queer Bag, Queer Butt, Queer Boy, and Queer Bait.  Just like in River City, we are not popular in Neo City.  We are short, stocky, and have long noses and get picked on a lot.  Especially by this group of kids that call themselves the Tazmanians.  They're led by Coily and his best friends Ugg, Wrong-Way, Slick, and Sam.  Those guys are always knocking our books out of our hands, stealing our lunch money, tying our shoelaces together, cramming us into open lockers, and taping "Kick Me" signs to our backs.  Q-Bert has a swearing problem, and whenever they tease us, he's always saying things like "!#?@! you guys, you stupid !#?@!ing pieces of mother!#?@!ing !#?@!"

One of the worst bullying incidents was the day that Coily and his Ass Goblin friends embarrassed poor Q-Bert in the cafeteria during lunch.  Since we started attending Neo City High School, it has been no secret that Q-Bert has a huge crush on the head cheerleader, Marian.  He stares at her all the time and spends tons of time every night practicing in front of the mirror on how he is going to ask her out on a date.  However, she just started dating the school's star martial arts student, Billy Lee.  I keep telling Q-Bert that he has no chance in hell of hooking up with her, but he won't listen to me.  He thinks he is going to somehow convince her to stop dating Billy Lee and start dating him.  So anyway, this one day Q-Bert and I were eating lunch with some of our fellow geeks, Lester the Unlikely, Hal "Otacon" Emmerich, and Tingle, when he saw Marian eating lunch with her best friends, Princess Angelica, April O'Neil, Samus Aran, Lara Croft, and Tifa Lockhart.  He stood up from his chair, bound and determined to confess his feelings to her.  Lester told him asking Marian on a date was futile and rejection was inevitable, but he wouldn't listen.  As Q-Bert approached Marian's table, I saw Coily and Ugg creeping up behind him, both of whom had big grins on their faces and were holding back laughter the best they could.  "Marian" Q-Bert replied nervously.  "There's something I want to tell you."  Before either Q-Bert or Marian could reply, Coily and Ugg pulled his pants down, exposing his brand new Sonic the Hedgehog underwear to all the students in the lunchroom.  Everyone in the cafeteria started laughing hysterically while Q-Bert just shouted "!#?@!" repeatedly.  Marian scowled at him and said disgustedly "All you wanted to say to me was '!#?@!?'  Go away you scruffy-looking...Nerf herder!"  "He looks more like a Moof milker with that creepy long nose of his" Tifa exclaimed as she rolled her eyes.  At that moment, Billy Lee came cruising over to the table, dropped into a chair about ten feet away, and slid his way over to Marian.  "Hey, Babe, how's it going" he said happily as he kissed her on the cheek.  At that moment, Billy Lee looked down and noticed Q-Bert standing there with his pants around his ankles.  "Hey, nice underwear you got there, Queer-Bert" Billy Lee exclaimed as he started laughing hysterically.  With anger boiling in my chest, I just couldn't take it anymore.  I had to make this spectacle of ridicule, embarrassment, and shaming come to an end, not for my sake, but for my brother, who just stood there not knowing what to do next.  Ignoring Otacon's pleas to not get involved, I shouted at him "I'm not going to be like you and hide in a locker and pee my pants.  I'm going to help my brother out."  I jumped out of my chair and raced over to Marian's table to defend my brother.  "Hey, why don't you leave him alone...or else" I shouted at Billy Lee angrily.  He immediately jumped from his chair, kicked it aside, and approached me, nearly knocking me over as he bumped me with his chest.  "What did you just say, Dimm-Bert" Billy Lee growled angrily, his hands balling into fists.  "Did you just say 'or else?'  'Or else' what, Dimm-Bert?  You'll kick my ass?  Give it your best shot!  I could spin kick your geeky little ass all the way back to River City!"  I could feel sweat starting to run down my forehead, my knees shaking so badly I thought they would start knocking together.  I swallowed nervously as I realized what was happening: Billy Lee was about to challenge me to a fight.  With all the courage I could muster, I shouted "I said leave him alone, BIMMY Lee, or I'll kick YOUR ass!"  At that very moment, I realized my words of bravery were the exact thing I should NOT have said.  Billy Lee clenched his fists tightly, drew back his arm, and hit me square in the jaw as he screamed "Don't call me BIMMY!"  Needless to say, I ended up with some cuts and bruises, a black eye, and five days of in-school detention, while Billy Lee got 10 days and even more popularity points for beating up the new geeky kid in school.  That was just one of the many bullying incidents from Coily and his crew, but nothing compares to what happened just the other day.

So, just last Monday we are in chemistry class and we are going to be mixing chemicals and recording their reactions.  Our teacher, the ever outspoken and highly intelligent Professor Oak, warned us to be very careful while mixing chemicals so we wouldn't have any dangerous reactions.  Well, Coily and his butthead butt-buddies decided to play a prank on Q-Bert for the, I don't know, 1000th time.  They switched his hydrochloric acid with Retromutagen Ooze (you know, the stuff that made the Ninja Turtles), his boric acid with Count Dracula's blood, his ammonia with Mega Man oil, his sodium hydroxide with Cadre Cola, and his baking soda with itching powder.  Those idiots all stood around him smiling ear to ear as he mixed the chemicals together and then...POOF!  There was this loud pop and a big white cloud of smoke surrounded Q-Bert and the Idiot Brigade.  Coily and his cronies were rolling on the floor laughing hysterically while poor Q-Bert stood there dropping f-bombs like they were going out of style.  But when the cloud disappeared, Q-Bert and Coily and all his friends were nowhere to be found!  Instead, there was this weird portal hovering over Q-Bert's lab table.  We all stared at this strange, intergalactic gateway and realized Q-Bert was standing on this tall, multi-colored pyramid with Coily and his moronic buddies!  They had all been sucked into some weird dimension!  Suddenly, a deep, booming voice emanated from the portal, startling everyone in the room.  "I am the vile and evil Red Falcon, enslaver of races, destroyer of worlds, conqueror of universes, and the eradicator of everything you hold precious."  I heard a tiny half shriek, half gasp behind me and turned around to see Jerms of the Battletoads nervously biting his fingernails.  I cracked a half smile as I watched Jerms chew on his nails at the same rapid pace a cartoon character would when they get nervous or scared about something.  "Does...does that include...hot...hotdogs" Jerms asked nervously.  "That most certainly includes hotdogs" Red Falcon boomed as he laughed maniacally.  At that moment, Jerms gasped, placed his arm over his eyes, and fainted.  His brother, Rash, quickly rushed over to him and began fanning him with a stack of lab notes in an attempt to rouse him from unconsciousness.  "Your puny little elephant man has entered my domain" Red Falcon roared, the windows in the science lab shaking as he spoke.  "Hey, !#?@! you" Q-Bert shouted angrily.  "I'm not an elephant.  I'm a..."  "Silence, puny mortal" Red Falcon interrupted as his voice roared with anger.  "All those who enter my domain must face a series of challenges...or suffer the consequences."  My voice cracking a little bit, I decided to speak up, saying "And what are the consequences?"  Red Falcon's vile laugh echoed once more throughout the classroom.  "All your little anteater-looking friend has to do is solve my puzzles.  If he succeeds, I will spare your universe from destruction...for now.  If he fails, you will become my slaves for all eternity and witness the obliteration of your pathetic little planet."  Okay, guys, here's where everyone in the world will need your help.  It's your mission to help Q-Bert solve the puzzles and prevent Red Falcon from destroying Earth.  Of course, Coily and company are probably going to make things difficult for you since they love picking on poor Q-Bert.  Sheesh, the fate of humanity hangs in the balance and those asshats are going to act like it's some big joke.  Okay, enough talk, here's what you need to do:

• 1 player only
  • Choose whichever control setup you want
  • Play until Life 0.  As soon as you get to Life 0, you must stop playing the game and take your picture.  You may not play any of the game on Life 0 or your score will be disqualified
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 10,000
  • GENRE: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 6/19/16 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/19/2016 at 02:19 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:45:52 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
OFFICIAL SCOREBOARD
Q*bert
 photo Q-bert U-0_zpsdgy63tjw.png
(Puzzle)
Place Score Username
1 138,920 Brock Landers
2 137,430 gutsman004
3 125,220 bertsampson
4 106,810 Krunch
5 82,110 skinnygrinny
6 60,090 Bea_Iank
7 58,030 Richardhead
8 35,400 TWarwick07
Participation
9 34,300 winterion
10 29,190 Commander Santa
11 26,020 mbd39
12 25,260 barrelsAndRivets
13 23,240 ToxieRules
14 21,830 AppleTractorBeam
15 21,040 buttheadrulesagain
16 19,720 laddersandcakes
17 15,830 JamesRobot
18 14,430 EgasKrad
19 14,310 arnpoly
20 13,350 SuperJimtendo
21 12,490 atlien003
22 11,460 Seppatoni
23 11,300 Mega Tank
24 10,100 zobber

Edited: 06/20/2016 at 12:51 PM by bertsampson

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:48:25 PM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Holy shit Bimmy, that was a masterpiece ! Enough talk of a Santa Weekly Update book...... We need a collaboration of you two, I look forward to Sunday afternoons and Saturday nights( sometimes early ass Sunday mornings) for you two's awesome literature!
Thanks again😝

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:53:00 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

This game is not much fun.  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 06/16/2016 at 10:09 AM by Mega Tank

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:11:30 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

This game is fun. I have not played it much, but hopefully I can put up a decent score!  

Just have to get use to the controls, I would highly recommend switching between the different schemes and finding out which one works best for you.

The controls in combination with the level layout can really screw you over.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:22:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I made it to level 1, Round 2 on my first try, but damn are the enemies quick. I predict a rough time for players trying to get participation this week.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 06/12/2016 at 06:24 PM by mbd39

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:22:54 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Originally posted by: Mega Tank

This game is fun. I have not played it much, but hopefully I can put up a decent score!  

Just have to get use to the controls, I would highly recommend switching between the different schemes and finding out which one works best for you.

The controls in combination with the level layout can really screw you over.

Yea. It has always thrown me off during those crucial moments.  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:57:24 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Edited: 06/16/2016 at 01:12 PM by mbd39

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:02:59 PM
Teknoskan (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
This one is going to be a doozie. Like others have said, it's going to be a battle to master the control schemes.

My Collection Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/tjhfH

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:12:49 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
To depress everyone, here are the final Q-bert scores from the 2013 contest.

Q-BERT RESULTS

1st: 142,760 – Elkovsky +11 points
2nd: 117,680 – gutsman004 +10 points
3rd: 101,640 – Krunch +9 points
4th: 97,520 – dev(2) +8 points
5th: 87,400 – CLAYB1RD +7 points
6th: 63,710 – mattyjmania +6 points
7th: 61,560 – guillavoie +5 points
8th: 53,230 – sunsetflip84 +4 points
9th: 46,670 – Logo1285 +3 points
10th: 40,260 – Caleb47 +2 points

PARTICIPATION

38,290 – quiet451 +1 point
24,120 – fatalfuryspecial +1 point
24,030 – EoTN +1 point
16,950 – TWarwick07 +1 point
15,390 – Razeak +1 point
10,690 – bearcat-doug +1 point
8,810 – coyoteslash +1 point
5,880 – ag1052 +1 point
5,490 – hitmantommy +1 point
3,700 – Thundercat08 +1 point
570 – link463 +1 point

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:41:47 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Much harder than I had imagined.... This week should be interesting

Edited: 06/18/2016 at 12:15 PM by barrels

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:43:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Much harder then I had imagined.... This week should be interesting

Like Legendary Wings, this is one of the harder contest games to even get participation score.

I can't believe the scores from the 2013 contest.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:01:10 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Yeah, this game doesn't play around. You get used to it, but it keeps you (read: me) on your (read: my) toes constantly. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:14:41 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Small update. I would have cleared this round and gotten to 140k if not for Sam and Slick. They are what make the later rounds so tough.

I know the controls confuse a lot of people,but I've never had a problem with them even as a kid. I guess I'm a weirdo.  

I will say this....definitely use up all your discs. You get way more points using them (500 each) than not. (50 each)

Also as far as Ugg and Wrong Way go,(the side ways hopping guys) if you are directly above them you can jump down while they leap up and therefore jump over them and not be killed and you can definitely use this to your advantage.

There are some levels where no red balls drop and others where Ugg and Wrong Way don't appear. Use this to your advantage as well.

Edited: 06/16/2016 at 01:37 AM by gutsman004

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:23:04 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York

... I agree with everyone else bimmy - that was an effing masterpiece. Great stuff this week. Dare I say even better than the normally excellent bimmy stories.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 06/19/2016 at 12:23 PM by Commander Santa

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:30:59 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Hmm, got 12,000 or so. There's a lot I'm going to need to learn

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:33:45 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Don't worry BimBims I am waiting to read it until tomorrow morning when I get into work....that type of shit is Monday morning reads man for seriously hahahahaha

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:20:26 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Thanks guys and I'm glad you enjoyed the story this week. For those who haven't read it, I broke it up into 3 paragraphs so it wouldn't look like one big daunting wall of text. I wrote it last Monday and it was actually less than a page when I was done with it. Just the other day, I got the idea for the B-Bert and Q-Bert nicknames and added those. As I proofread it for what I thought would be the final time on Saturday night, I got the idea for the whole cafeteria scene and wrote that. I didn't like the ending on it, so I completely revamped that as well. The original ending was basically a very, very condensed version of what the actual ending became. In the end, the story ended up being two and a half pages long, the longest intro story yet this year. This was one of the more fun ones to write this year, right up there with the Double Dragon, Baseball, Yoshi's Cookie, and Battletoads stories. Oh, and for those of you who are interested, there will be a Q-Bert conclusion story posted some time either Saturday night or Sunday afternoon.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/13/2016 at 04:21 AM by bimmy_lee

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:56:11 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Got this after a few runs to knock some of the rust off. I know the controls confuse a lot of people,but I've never had a problem with them even as a kid. I guess I'm a weirdo.   I will say this....definitely use up all your discs. You get way more points using them (500 each) than not. (50 each) Also as far as Ugg and Wrong Way go,(the side ways hopping guys) if you are directly above them you can jump down while they leap up and therefore jump over them and not be killed and you can definitely use this to your advantage. There are some levels where no red balls drop and others where Ugg and Wrong Way don't appear. Use this to your advantage as well.

I haven't forgotten that you beat my score three years ago...this time you're mine!  

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:07:21 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Maybe I can shirk a few responsibilities after work today and get a run in! At least get those participation points 😝

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:02:56 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Got this after a few runs to knock some of the rust off. I know the controls confuse a lot of people,but I've never had a problem with them even as a kid. I guess I'm a weirdo.   I will say this....definitely use up all your discs. You get way more points using them (500 each) than not. (50 each) Also as far as Ugg and Wrong Way go,(the side ways hopping guys) if you are directly above them you can jump down while they leap up and therefore jump over them and not be killed and you can definitely use this to your advantage. There are some levels where no red balls drop and others where Ugg and Wrong Way don't appear. Use this to your advantage as well. 

I haven't forgotten that you beat my score three years ago...this time you're mine!  

Do it man! I don't know how much I'll play of this. I'm going to the Let's Play Gaming Expo this weekend and I found out that they are having a Galaga high score contest,so I'll probably be putting in a lot of time for that.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:03:06 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I predict that gutsman and Krunch will be the top two this week.

On the other hand, bert is always amazing at arcade games.

Edited: 06/13/2016 at 12:03 PM by mbd39

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:22:30 PM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I had never played much Q-Bert before, despite being an 80's arcade rat, lol. This game is really tough at first, but as soon as you get used to the controls it's a lot of fun. I can consistently hit the participation score, might hold off until I have a score worth posting.

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:24:53 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I know Q*Bert is one of the games I will have to spend a lot of time on before I'm able to beat it. I guess I'll be happy meeting the participation score.  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:43:36 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
i keep trying and trying and trying and i just cannot consistently beat the first stage, gonna be a rough go this week.

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios