Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Not for Resale" vs. true Nintendo DEMO's Which NFR's are actually true DEMOS (limited or different gameplay)

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:14:42 AM
Danger Mouse (13)
(Matt E.) < Little Mac >
North Carolina
I've been a long time collector of SNES/N64/GB/GBA/DS "Not For Resale" games, however it has been a couple of years since I was really active on the collecting scene.  Lately, I'm just not that interested in it.  All in all, I've probably accumulated around 50 or so various NFR's from the listed systems.

Being so out of the loop now, I do have one concern, which is the availability of various fake/counterfeit cart labels floating around.  Shouldn't be too hard to grab (for example) a SNES TMNT: Turtles in Time or Starfox for a few bucks, get a fake "Not for Resale" label printed up, slap it on there and sell it for 10x what you paid for it.  Not good for the legit NFR collectors out there.

Now from what research I've done, I see others are saying that the quality of the fake labels aren't quite up to par with the original release.  There's issues with clarity, or color accuracy, uneven cutting, etc.  I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before someone somewhere comes up with a process that's pretty much identical to the original labels that Nintendo released.  At that point, there will be no telling what is real and what is fake.

Obviously, this can also affect normal game releases as well, however you should still be able to figure out if a high dollar game is legit or not based on the board.  This isn't going to be the case with NFR's, as the only thing that separates them from the standard release is the presence of the "Not for Resale" stamp on the label.

I'm toying with the idea of selling off the NFR stuff that I do own for a couple of reasons.  Mostly, it's that I just don’t have the same passion (or $) to feed the hobby anymore, and secondly what happens if I sit around for another 5 years until someone has perfected the label reproduction process, at which point my legit NFR's look the same as the one that someone just "made" in their basement.

I mentioned all of the above to bring up the following...  There are some "Not for Resale" games that are truly DEMO's, meaning that there are actual differences in gameplay or sometimes graphics... something more than just a different "not for resale" label on the front or back.  I'm trying to come up with a list of these "True DEMO's" and their differences.  Does anyone know of a list floating around with this type of info?  I did about a half hour of searching on here, but really didn’t find anything of substance.  Just trying to see how wide spread this type of release is.  If you know of any, please post below and I'll do some digging to see what kind of differences there are.  THANKS.

=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Game Boy Color / GBC
============================
Tech Deck
-

Nintendo 64 / N64
Donkey Kong 64 (gray)
-

Excitebike 64
-

Jet Force Gemini
-

Pokemon Snap, DEMO ONLY (Blockbuster Kiosk)
-

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (gray)
- Preview/Demo main menu,
- YouTube video, compliments of aleckermit -

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (white label)
- Additional menu items, actual "store demonstration" screen present, less blood and gore, weapon differences
- VERY detailed write up from Micro-64, Turok 2 Not For Resale cartridge

Game Boy Advance / GBA
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

- 3 stage selectable demo

More info: http://blog.pricecharting.com/201...

-------------------------

ISO: Limited Run Games (sealed only)

My eBay Feedback

Edited: 08/21/2014 at 12:25 PM by Danger Mouse

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:48:03 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
GBC: Tech Dech

GBA: Fire Red Mew Distribution

Gamecube the majority are kiosk discs, press release, or mail away.

DS: DQ Map Distributions, Pokémon Distributions, Nintendogs Relay, Nintendo Zone, Nintendo Download Stations 1-19, Zelda Twilight Princess E3, Nintendo Dsi Video loop 1&2, Transformers, WarioWare Touched, Layton Unwound Future.

Most of the newer 3DS is demo based as well

This is only naming a few

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:52:32 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Zelda MM Gray is a demo, I believe Excitebike 64 and maybe Jet Force Gemini are too? DK64 gray also has difference I believe.

GBA has a demo Minish Cap.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:54:33 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Forgot Pokémon Snap BB

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:12:40 AM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
My GBA Donkey Kong: King of Swing is on a timed reset.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:20:52 AM
Danger Mouse (13)
(Matt E.) < Little Mac >
North Carolina
Nice. Looks like there's lots to dig in to. I've got the DK:KOS, but have never actually put it in my GBA.  It was part of a lot I had picked up.  Got addicted to Mario pinball... played it for months, lol.

ISO: Limited Run Games (sealed only)

My eBay Feedback

Edited: 08/21/2014 at 11:22 AM by Danger Mouse

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:52:57 AM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
There is also a demo of Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS.
You can select two different scenarios to play.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00:20 PM
JumpnShootman (3)
(Perry ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
The not for resale LOZ Skyward Sword has you picking from 3 scenarios. I'm pretty sure it was skyloft, the forest temple, and the first ghirahim fight.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:10:34 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
The DS is predominantly demos and might be unique in that sense as Nintendo-system NFR sets go.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:23:08 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

The DS is predominantly demos and might be unique in that sense as Nintendo-system NFR sets go.
This is one of the main reasons I collect DS. Hands down the hardest set to finish.